Controversial Opinions

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
SJF

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by SJF » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:29 pm
Re: "Doctor not loving Rose" -

Ooh yeah. Totally on board with that for Prime and Metacrisis Doctor. The latter just didn't want to be alone, and had fewer options (ESPECIALLY if you discount deleted scenes).

Throughout Series 2, 10 ranges from avoiding discussing or committing to any lasting Rose-feelings to binning her in favor of Madame Du Pompadour. Doesn't help that Rose is written and played in a way that I can at best describe as "unflattering to women" and at worst as "clingy bordering on psychotic". 10 clearly likes her, but handles her like a friend you constantly have to remind is in the friendzone. ("Let's travel with your BOYFRIEND! Y'know, your actual boyfriend.")

The 10th Doctor audios treat her (and Jackie!) far better.
Prime 10: The Doctor cut off the connection himself when he said “Rose Tyler I” because he was about to tell Rose what she wanted to hear and then remembered what Charley once told him about never saying it if you don’t mean it.

Meta 10: He just thought he was supposed to love her because of all the human bits. Really he’s just not that into her and is bezzie mates with Jacks instead.

Lassar

Post by Lassar » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 pm

These opinions are from someone who has seen only the new series really, but want to get into the classics.

1. I think side characters tend to work better than a full-time companion, though there are some great scenes with the main companions especially with Donna, I prefer characters like Wilfred, Adelaide Brook and recurring characters in the new series like Jack, River and Sarah Jane.
2. I also think one off threats are better than recurring threats like Daleks and Cybermen, though there are exceptions like in series 2 and Stolen Earth/ Journeys End where recurring threats are effective. My favourite monsters include the Krillitane, the Flood and the Vashta Nerada. The midnight entity is also used very well eith Midnight being my favourite episode.
3. Season 2 is my favourite Tennant season, and think 4 is the most inconsistent, though improves with the second half.
4. Hide is one of my favourite Matt Smith episodes and don’t mind the ending, I think the episode does a great job of using a small cast with great guest appeances with Dougray Scott and Jessica Raine, has a great setting eith the house and pocket universe and love the ideas explored.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:00 am

Here are some of my controversial opinions. If any of them vehemently offend you please hesitate to send me a postcard.

Martha is better than Rose.
I like Adric.
I don't think City of Death nor The Caves of Androzani are the best episodes of DW.
I actually think City of Death is pretty rubbish.
80's Cybermen aren't emotional, they're just very driven.

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 am

- I don’t like the 4th or 10th Doctors very much
- Clara and Martha are my favourite new Who Companions
- 7th doctor is my favourite doctor
- Paradise Towers is one of my favourite episodes
- Missy is better than John Simm Master
- I liked battle of ranskoor av kolos
- 80s is the best era of Doctor Who
- new Who is woefully inconsistent (especially with the dvd cases 😡)
- Sarah Jane and Jo Grant are rubbish companions
- the only decent new Who tardis is Capaldis
- I like the TV movie
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 am

Rackers96 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 am
Oh that's something that absolutely drives me round the bend. I have the 2014 rerelease boxsets for s1-7, which look great all in a row, then after that it's just a free-for-all, two individual stories that didn't have the decency to be in a boxset, then s8 was kind of in a similar case to the slimline 1-7 except not quite, and I have the bbc shop exclusive with the thick purple slipcase, so it's miles off, then s9 is just the ugliest looking packaging, even though it's got a picture of me on the front, and s10 is back to the slimline case again, but it's way too late, and also it's white for some reason, and then twice upon a time just in its own, again, then s11 is another thick set and resolution is on its own, which is madness, it aired about a week after s11 finished, why would they do that?? Awful. Here's a picture of my new series, I don't have a lot of the most recent ones, but you get the idea at that end still. Even those matching boxsets don't quite match because it's just an anything goes with how they display the age rating.

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am

Deborah J wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 am
Rackers96 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 am
Oh that's something that absolutely drives me round the bend. I have the 2014 rerelease boxsets for s1-7, which look great all in a row, then after that it's just a free-for-all, two individual stories that didn't have the decency to be in a boxset, then s8 was kind of in a similar case to the slimline 1-7 except not quite, and I have the bbc shop exclusive with the thick purple slipcase, so it's miles off, then s9 is just the ugliest looking packaging, even though it's got a picture of me on the front, and s10 is back to the slimline case again, but it's way too late, and also it's white for some reason, and then twice upon a time just in its own, again, then s11 is another thick set and resolution is on its own, which is madness, it aired about a week after s11 finished, why would they do that?? Awful. Here's a picture of my new series, I don't have a lot of the most recent ones, but you get the idea at that end still. Even those matching boxsets don't quite match because it's just an anything goes with how they display the age rating.

Yeah it drove me round the bend so I’ve slowly started replacing all the covers with custom classic style covers I made and had printed while I still had printing credits at uni

I just need to buy some boxes for the Chucky sets that are standard dvd case size
I’ll put up a thread up of them soon

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 pm

Deborah J wrote:

Can I give a shout out to those VHSes on the end. I love me some VHS. I've got a few Doctor Who ones which I still watch, along with boxes of home recorded ones of various programmes, complete with obligatory masking tape for the name.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 pm
Deborah J wrote:

Can I give a shout out to those VHSes on the end. I love me some VHS. I've got a few Doctor Who ones which I still watch, along with boxes of home recorded ones of various programmes, complete with obligatory masking tape for the name.
Yeah, I don't have any proper shelves for my doctor who dvds, so the shelves I have are held up with vhs tapes because then they're slightly higher up than the hight of the dvds. I do have a small collection of doctor who vhs tapes, though, the davros collection, the war games and a double release of genesis and the sontaran experiment.

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Ive just uploaded a thread of my NewWho-Classic style covers!

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:17 pm
I do have a small collection of doctor who vhs tapes, though, the davros collection, the war games and a double release of genesis and the sontaran experiment.
I have The Keys of Mariuns, The Dominators, The Ark in Space, The Face of Evil, The Stones of Blood, The Power of Kroll, The Leisure Hive and the The Visitation/Black Orchid double pack. Some of these are now my favourite stories as I've seen them so many times over the years.

I'm a lazy boi so no photos, sorry :D .