Twists (spoilers)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
DalekCheese

Re: Twists (spoilers)

Post by DalekCheese » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:34 pm

One of my favourites is that the daleks are behind the game station.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm

So obvious it hardly counts as a twist - and because of that one of the worst - Missy is, shock horror, The Master!!!

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:46 pm

My least favourite twist is the absolute shambles that was the hybrid! I still don’t really understand who the hybrid was to this day...

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Doctor Gamer wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:46 pm
My least favourite twist is the absolute shambles that was the hybrid! I still don’t really understand who the hybrid was to this day...
I’m not sure either. Honestly, if you cut Me out of most of those episodes, you would lose nothing. She was one of very few issues I have with The Grand Moff.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Worst: Wilf being the one who knocks, not for the twist itself, but how it was poorly executed due to bad Direction.
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Pretty much most of the reveals to the story arcs in NuWho have been a let down.

Whilst the YANA acronym was a bit naff, Jacobi being The Master was a good twist - we knew Simm was going to be The Master, but I think from memory that Jacobi was a surprise (to me anyway).

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 pm

the problem with most of Moffat's twists was you could see them coming a mile off, and when people guessed them he'd always be like" oh no no, it's never that simple" and then it turned out to be whatever everyone had guessed.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 pm

So, so many of these "classic" twists I love because with no warning or context before, they had to be great.

My favourites (classic):
"The Monk has a TARDIS!" (The Time Meddler)
The TARDIS breaks up (The Mind Robber)
It's the Doctor's own people (The War Games - and just think for a minute: In the 60s they recycled sounds ALL the time. The SIDRAT noises could've been seen as no clue, just the same old sound reuse.)
It's not just the Master, but also the Daleks. (Frontier in Space)
The Doctor messed it all up; it's no outsider/doppelganger. (The Face of Evil)
The Vardans were Sontaran patsies. (The Invasion of Time)
Everything about the balance of power and conflict history in "Warrior's Gate"
The Doctor was plucked out, and Peri died. (Mindwarp)
"We play the game again....Time Lord." (The Curse of Fenric)

By comparison, the new series - especially the Davies Era - telegraphs things too obviously to me...or they don't make sense. But still, I loved:
It's medical repair nanobytes. (The Empty Child/...)
It was a Chameleon arch, and the Master. (Utopia)
The Doctor is doing his usual "save the day" schtick, and it's completely wrong...(The Waters of Mars)
The use of the Lunar landing broadcast (Day of the Moon)
Time Heist all adds up (Time Heist)
Under the Lake/Before the Flood all adds up (Um...)
Heaven Sent all adds up (Again)
Razor's reveal, in spite of the advance warning, still is a favourite too. (World Enough and Time)

Least favourite? Easy. Series 6. No contest.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:55 pm

I remember the shock in Frontier! New series, for me, I thought Y-A-N-A was such a surprise and "the face of boe they called me" which was a true holy mother of god moment :lol: The Doctor getting shot and regenerating in the stolen earth, too, having to wait a week for the conclusion! Great times

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:03 pm

urgh - you've unlocked deep buried memories of terrible twists - the moon is an egg..... wtf

Also some things that are not really twists, more did we really need this..... the TARDIS sound we all recognise is because the brakes are on, if you are conceived in a TARDIS and you get 12 regenerations, the Brig is a flying Cyberman, the Doctor's hand was being held all through his classic adventures by a splinter of Clara - right from the point of taking a TARDIS.

Trying to think of things in classic Who that we'd have been better off not having. if you include the movie then the half-human nonsense.