Prototype and Unreleased Figures (3.75)

joe38658

Re: Prototype and Unreleased Figures (3.75)

Postby joe38658 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 am

TARDIS.jpg
Image from The Doctor Who Site
TARDIS.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Dalek Ship.jpg
Image from The Doctor Who Site
Dalek Ship.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Ship has a silver bottom bit + Panels are differently placed + Gun doesnt fire
i dont know what to put here

TheOne3.75Fan

Postby TheOne3.75Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:52 pm

joe38658 wrote:TARDIS.jpg
Dalek Ship.jpg
Ship has a silver bottom bit + Panels are differently placed + Gun doesnt fire

Tbh, they should've just skipped the rest of the Time Zone playsets and just done a Tardis. Sure, it's a bit of a large set, but with the smaller scale, you could make it the size of the 11th Doctor's 1st console room set, but cover more room.
Now look at the net, that I just found! When I say go, be ready to throw!

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:40 pm

TheOne3.75Fan wrote:Tbh, they should've just skipped the rest of the Time Zone playsets and just done a Tardis. Sure, it's a bit of a large set, but with the smaller scale, you could make it the size of the 11th Doctor's 1st console room set, but cover more room.

I agree with your reasoning however the big let down would have been the 3.75" scaling, When I reviewed the Into The Dalek set, I seriously lost my cool with it, it was just so poorly made and didn't stay together properly just because it was made from flimsy cardboard, for which they felt they could charge £50 for!

So lets assume they made the 3.75" TARDIS using the same method...I just dread to think how that would have played out...look at the intricacies of the design! There's no way it would have held together in one piece.
Although maybe that's why it never got made, they were going to make it out of plastic but the cost was too high, so someone said, "let's just make it out of card", at which point someone else (who frankly should have been made head of R&D) probably actually realised how much that wouldn't have worked and so after sharing that it was decided to scrap the whole thing because they couldn't make it cheaply enough.

Of course that's all just conjecture on my part...but when we've seen the kind of decisions CO has made in the past it doesn't surprise me if it were somewhat close to the truth!

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:24 pm

CaptainJimiPie wrote:
TheOne3.75Fan wrote:Tbh, they should've just skipped the rest of the Time Zone playsets and just done a Tardis. Sure, it's a bit of a large set, but with the smaller scale, you could make it the size of the 11th Doctor's 1st console room set, but cover more room.

I agree with your reasoning however the big let down would have been the 3.75" scaling, When I reviewed the Into The Dalek set, I seriously lost my cool with it, it was just so poorly made and didn't stay together properly just because it was made from flimsy cardboard, for which they felt they could charge £50 for!

So lets assume they made the 3.75" TARDIS using the same method...I just dread to think how that would have played out...look at the intricacies of the design! There's no way it would have held together in one piece.
Although maybe that's why it never got made, they were going to make it out of plastic but the cost was too high, so someone said, "let's just make it out of card", at which point someone else (who frankly should have been made head of R&D) probably actually realised how much that wouldn't have worked and so after sharing that it was decided to scrap the whole thing because they couldn't make it cheaply enough.

Of course that's all just conjecture on my part...but when we've seen the kind of decisions CO has made in the past it doesn't surprise me if it were somewhat close to the truth!

The Tardis console room was offered to the retailers (I seem to remember the RRP was about £30, but I could be wrong). it was supposed to be a mix of cardboard and plastic. There were just not enough interest and not enough orders to release it in the end.

As for the Into the Dalek set, the reason why it was £50 was because it contained 5 figures and a hoverboard. So it was quite cheap actually.

Return to “3.75" Figures”