Prototype and Unreleased Figures (3.75)

TheOne3.75Fan

Re: Prototype and Unreleased Figures (3.75)

Postby TheOne3.75Fan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:47 pm

CaptainJimiPie wrote:In my search for information about my mysterious 5" Tenth Doctor prototype, I managed to find (through a private seller I know who also collects prototypes) some possible 3.75" prototypes!

One is the previously mentioned no gun blue chest cyberman although I'm still waiting for confirmation on that.

However another is the 3.75 Tenth Doctor in spacesuit!
IMG_5966.JPG

Currently on its way to me in the post, so once I have it I will be doing an in-hand appraisal but all initial indications are that this is a real prototype of the unreleased 3.75" Tenth Doctor Spacesuit figure! :D More to follow soon!

UPDATE : The Tenth Doctor figure has arrived and looks amazing! The Cyberman is also on it's way and I will be making a video on and posting pictures of them later this week! And better still it certainly seems that both are official prototypes, the private seller I know is something of an "expert" in prototype toys so whilst he's not an official source, he is a good honest guy and I trust his judgement :)

How do you find prototypes like that? I would like to hunt down the 8th Doctor and Missy prototypes someday both for the purposes of my collection and because of a series I'm starting specifically about the 3.75 line(basically, reviews without 5 inch bias). I think they'd make great episodes.

If you can't tell me any secrets to it, I understand.

Also, on the Tenth Doctor, do his face paint apps look like they did at Toy Fair that one year? He had less of a thousand yard stare than the original one there.
Now look at the net, that I just found! When I say go, be ready to throw!

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm

TheOne3.75Fan wrote:How do you find prototypes like that? I would like to hunt down the 8th Doctor and Missy prototypes someday both for the purposes of my collection and because of a series I'm starting specifically about the 3.75 line(basically, reviews without 5 inch bias). I think they'd make great episodes.

If you can't tell me any secrets to it, I understand.

Also, on the Tenth Doctor, do his face paint apps look like they did at Toy Fair that one year? He had less of a thousand yard stare than the original one there.

There's not really any secrets to it, I've just been lucky in my years of buying figures for custom parts that I have made more personal contact with people that sell figures and parts privately, and in dealing with them over time and building up a reputable buyer/seller trust, it helps me in getting figures and spares at better prices sometimes.

But atleast one of them collects prototypes of various figures and ranges themselves, and as they know I'm a bit of a prototype collector myself if they ever get duplicates they always ask me if I'm interested in any of them.

However just for the record (and because I have been asked before) I'm not willing to give out the details of this person as I only have their personal email and mobile number as points of contact for them, and it's not really my place just to hand it out. Not saying you were going to ask haha more just for future reference of anyone reading this thread.

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 am

CaptainJimiPie wrote:In my search for information about my mysterious 5" Tenth Doctor prototype, I managed to find (through a private seller I know who also collects prototypes) some possible 3.75" prototypes!

One is the previously mentioned no gun blue chest cyberman although I'm still waiting for confirmation on that.

However another is the 3.75 Tenth Doctor in spacesuit!
IMG_5966.JPG

Currently on its way to me in the post, so once I have it I will be doing an in-hand appraisal but all initial indications are that this is a real prototype of the unreleased 3.75" Tenth Doctor Spacesuit figure! :D More to follow soon!

UPDATE : The Tenth Doctor figure has arrived and looks amazing! The Cyberman is also on it's way and I will be making a video on and posting pictures of them later this week! And better still it certainly seems that both are official prototypes, the private seller I know is something of an "expert" in prototype toys so whilst he's not an official source, he is a good honest guy and I trust his judgement :)

Interestingly enough, looks like it's the regular 10th doctor head. Looks a bit different from the prototype sculpt shown at the toy fair.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:Interestingly enough, looks like it's the regular 10th doctor head. Looks a bit different from the prototype sculpt shown at the toy fair.

It does seem that the headsculpt is the released version in that picture I posted, although as has been seen with other prototypes such as the Ghost Cybermen & Holographic Ninth Doctors paint applications can vary through runs of the same prototype.

It's a bit of a tricky one because the head looks like the released version and the gloves sculpt is slightly different to the toy fair one, which normally I would say indicated just a head swap onto the PC released version, however there are also a few things that either show EXTREMELY good custom skills by someone or indicate that it is the real deal, namely :

1. The head is full fixed on and still has 360 degree movement, having had one of the PC version in hand before for parts, in dismantling it, I noticed that unlike other 3.75" figure the PC head on the spacesuit is properly fixed into the figure rather than being on a peg like other 3.75" heads.
Originally I was trying to make a 3.75" Eleventh Doctor in spacesuit but I noticed that the Eleventh Doctor head with peg didn't fit into the neck hole on the PC figure, and when I trimmed down the peg the neck of the Eleventh Doctor was far too long to fit into the spacesuit. Which leads me to think that with a standard Tenth Doctor head A) It wouldn't fit into the spacesuit neck to begin with B) If it was trimmed down the fit then it would still have "giraffe neck", but even then if that was trimmed down too to look right it would mean the head could easily be removed, or it would be glued it place it keep it fixed but it wouldn't still have movement, which the figure I have still does.

2. The left hand glove with bracelet is all one uninterrupted sculpt, under a magnifying glass you can see (or more to the point can't see) the seamlessness of a lack of joint line between the two, which would be present if it has been sculpted on, plus the level of detail on it itself, individual buttons, etc

3. The Santuary Base logos are actually printed into the figure itself, not stuck on like stickers again I'm sure there are people out there who could do such a thing themselves but even so the detail and quality of them both on the chest and arm seem far too good to be a custom job

Koth

Postby Koth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:29 pm

I've customed a 10th Doctor in spacesuit and the neck post is longer to fit onto the body so some reduction is needed. That is unless a new head has been molded.

TheOne3.75Fan

Postby TheOne3.75Fan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 pm

The slightly upgraded Toy Fair paint apps incline me to believe it's a new piece. After all, when they made a new sculpt for Capaldi's screwdriver, they upgraded it, so why not here?
Now look at the net, that I just found! When I say go, be ready to throw!

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am

Doctor What wrote:Comparing them in hand it might actually be that they made the legs longer, not the body. Something certainly changed though because the later one is taller than the original.

They made bottom half of the legs longer and had a completely new head sculpt.

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 pm

Finally getting around to posting some more pictures of these!

So first up, the Tenth Doctor in space suit!
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG (31.51 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

IMG_6318.JPG
IMG_6318.JPG (28.16 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

IMG_6319.JPG
IMG_6319.JPG (36.68 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

This certainly doesn't seem to be the one that in the previous seen toy fair/promo pictures as this version has the "released" headsculpt (note the hair "strand" detailing on the forehead) however as mentioned in previous posts in this thread the head is securely fixed in and no "giraffe necked" which would happen if the head has just been swapped over. And there is also additional detailing such as the emergency whistle yellow thing, bracelet on the gloves being all one sculpt and also the Sanctuary Base emblems are actually printed on to the figure and also raised as part of the sculpt!
Last edited by CaptainJimiPie on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Next up we have the Cyberman
IMG_6320.JPG
IMG_6320.JPG (32.56 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

IMG_6321.JPG
IMG_6321.JPG (33.69 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

Not really alot to say about this one, although one thing I didn't get a picture of but will try and add later is the height and size difference between this original sculpt and the later ones, it's surprising how much of a difference there is!

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:42 pm

And lastly we have this newly acquired piece! A 3.75" Prototype Dalek
IMG_6322.JPG
IMG_6322.JPG (32.22 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

IMG_6323.JPG
IMG_6323.JPG (33.28 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

IMG_6326.JPG
IMG_6326.JPG (48.54 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

It's hard to capture on camera but as well as on the side it also has factory markings on the dome, front mid section piece and base. Also note the lack of printed serial number on the base which also appears on official figures. The eye talk, gun and arm are also made from clear plastic, and the screw cover parts are made from black plastic too.
From what I've managed to find out and with help from those I bought this from it seems most likely this is either an emperors guard dalek but before they added the larger second gun but more likely it is a patrol ship pilot Dalek.
Also I very carefully opened this up as it wouldn't be hard for someone to just respray this but the interior colour is the same grey plastic as the exterior and being very careful with some acetone free nail polish remover I had a go at seeing if any paint would come off and I'm pleased to say that no such incident occurred!
Which means that the grey and black is indeed the actual colour of the plastic itself, rather than the usual matte bronze colour 3.75" Daleks are usually sculpted in!

Return to “3.75" Figures”