General DW figure related questions

Doctor What

Re: General DW figure related questions

Postby Doctor What » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Can anyone explain why the 25 Adipose pack is so hard to find at a reasonable price? The few that end up on ebay tend to be around £40-50!

glasshouse_8th

Postby glasshouse_8th » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Doctor What wrote:Can anyone explain why the 25 Adipose pack is so hard to find at a reasonable price? The few that end up on ebay tend to be around £40-50!

Simply because it's out of production/print and therefore becoming rare.
Going into more detail, some figures - even if out of production - were produced en masse, so are still fairly easy to get hold of. Whereas figure sets such as the Adipose pack were not made in large numbers to begin with, so those few that are for auction on ebay end up going for inflated prices.
"The universe hangs by such a delicate thread of points, it's useless to meddle with it. Unless, like me, you're a Time Lord" - 8th Doctor

The Empty Child

Postby The Empty Child » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 am

glasshouse_8th wrote:
Doctor What wrote:Can anyone explain why the 25 Adipose pack is so hard to find at a reasonable price? The few that end up on ebay tend to be around £40-50!

Simply because it's out of production/print and therefore becoming rare.
Going into more detail, some figures - even if out of production - were produced en masse, so are still fairly easy to get hold of. Whereas figure sets such as the Adipose pack were not made in large numbers to begin with, so those few that are for auction on ebay end up going for inflated prices.

It was also probably the most in demand figure from the Vespiform wave, so this added to the small production run makes it super rare. I only saw it the once, when I bought it on release.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 am

I managed to snag it as part for the Tesco 3-pack for £25 a while back, that’s probably your best bet

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:02 pm

As far as I know, the Vespiform wave was produced in high numbers.
But on top of people trying to build the Vespiform, it was also a very popular pack.

The Adipose were also available with one of the 10th doctor figures, then rereleased as part of an M&S "exclusive" wave containing repacks, and then available in the Tesco 3 pack... Lots of adipose ;) I think I have an army somewhere lol

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:As far as I know, the Vespiform wave was produced in high numbers.
But on top of people trying to build the Vespiform, it was also a very popular pack.

The Adipose were also available with one of the 10th doctor figures, then rereleased as part of an M&S "exclusive" wave containing repacks, and then available in the Tesco 3 pack... Lots of adipose ;) I think I have an army somewhere lol

I've got 5 Adipose I think, some from the series 4 10th doctor and some from a B&M pack a couple of years ago. Honestly i'm mainly after it for the Vespiform part (and for completionist reasons).

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 am

"For what it's worth..."

I had a chat with an executive with a different toy company about the closing of Toys R Us. This is a company with a number of lines, many of them from cartoon IP's targeted towards kids. They say they try to keep the core figures in any given line up around the $10 mark, so their toys definitely target kids and not collectors.

He said TRU accounted for about 15% of their market share in the US. The closing is a blow to everyone, but more of an emotional blow than a financial one, given what the store represented. For their business, they expect other big retailers -- Walmart, Target and Amazon -- will pick up some the slack, and they also plan on going after more drug store, supermarkets, and discount stores.

But there's still a void left by TRU for a "big box toy store" that's a destination for both kids and parents. TRU had a lot of plans to refurbish their stores and rehabilitate their whole sales experience, but they were so badly leveraged they never had the capital to implement any of them. He said his hope is someone will come in after the bankruptcy has settled, buy the rights to the name, and start over with fewer stores.
Last edited by skifflebits on Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:49 pm

I always thought it was shame Woolworths went under (showing my age now) but I always thought if they'd still be around they could have been big retailer of Doctor Who merchandise.

My money is still on B&M to take up the line for exclusive, they already have their triple pack range so it's not that far fetched to imagine they could get TRU's line of exclusive in future. FP/FPI could still be a possibility as they do seem to be store more catered for DW march but I can't help feel that if they really wanted to the exclusives again they'd have picked up on it by now

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm

It's not really B&M's M.O. though... I've be very surprised if they ventured further than cheap tweaks and repaints, to be honest.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:00 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:It's not really B&M's M.O. though... I've be very surprised if they ventured further than cheap tweaks and repaints, to be honest.

True but given that in recent years (particular in Capaldi's era and the 3.75" range) there have been more "variants" of single sculpts than entirely new existing figures it doesn't seem that far of a step for B&M to make.

Alternatively it could be may B&M never had the opportunity to expand their DW range because of TRU's getting exclusives, I'm only speculating of course but with TRU's going under this could be the opening B&M have been waiting for

Return to “5" Figures”