B&M sets announced! 3 sets and a Tardis

HubertBonisseur

Re: B&M sets announced! 3 sets and a Tardis

Postby HubertBonisseur » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm

skifflebits wrote:So exactly which headsculpt are they using for the 12th Doctor figure, anyway?

Longer hair.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

So the images at the start of the thread are representitive of what we'll get, rather than those less-official looking ones? Do you think the final products will differ from the official images in any way?

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Doctor What wrote:I meant the TARDIS set is a departure from the normal "3 sets of 3 figures" template, not that it's a new mould.

Ah! True, that.

I hope that trend continues. Selling Dalek repaints would open up a big world of Dalek set possibilities.

I also wish they'd take a risk on a 5th or 7th Doctor set. Both of those Doctors seems to have a fair amount of nostalgia attached to them. Not as much as the 4th, of course, but now that we're into "Weng-Chiang" variants, they're really courting the fans.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Koth

Postby Koth » Wed May 16, 2018 4:26 pm

I cant see why they don't repaint the Primeval guy to make Turlough!

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Whovastron wrote:
CaptainJimiPie wrote:
Whovastron wrote:The 4th doctors shirt/tie is just a reprint of his season 12 jumper and tie.

TW.

I don't think so that the Season 12 figure had the tie out, and this definetly appears to be tucked into the waistcoat, plus it would still have to be a new sculpt as the base figure used here is a Third Doctor and the collar on that figure is part of the body mould.

So either they've created a whole new torso sculpt, or they've created a new inset piece for the third Doctor torso, either way I'm 90% sure this is a new sculpt in some form

Yeah I’m not sure why I thought it was. I swear I saw one with the weird long tie he wears. My apologies. Perhaps it’s the waistcoat insert from the Ainley figure?

Looking at that fourth doctor, the way the boots have been coloured to be trousers looks...odd

Sad there’s no monster variants in this wave, there’s so many that could still be done.

TW.

No worries, we see so many variants even I find it hard to keep track at times :lol:

Although it's not the waistcoat insert form Ainley either as it doesn't actually have one, the waistcoat on the Ainley figure is actually part of the jacket sculpt.

And I noticed that on the Fourth Doctor too, it is a very strange especially as I don't believe he even wore boots in Talons? Which begs the question why didn't they use the normal Third Doctor legs?

But now I'm going to be very critical, as happy as I am that we're getting new variants it really is starting to get to me that it seems like no one is actually paying attention when these figures get put together.

As someone else has previously pointed out the first previous image of the Third Doctor with TARDIS has the frilled shirt from the regenerated Fourth Doctor which looked fantastic but then the updated image just shows the normal fan tie repainted white...so they've said is here's what we COULD make and be a bit more accurate...but here's what you're actually going to get (probably because it will cost us less)

I really hope that they go with the first preview sculpt as it looks so much better.
Putting money reasons/kitbashing/business models etc aside I really can't fathom why they wouldn't be willing to pay that little bit more to make a more accurate figure that will be more popular amongst the fans, than release an inaccurate variant, which people will still buy but criticise, especially when they've shown they COULD have made the figure more accurate to start with.

I think it's been well established by now that it's got nothing to do with it not being possible as we have proof in these sets that it is...it's just pure laziness/unwillingness to spend as far I can see.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Koth wrote:I cant see why they don't repaint the Primeval guy to make Turlough!

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say because the figure (barely) used Ben Miller's likeness they don't have permission to use it for a character he didn't play, or maybe Mark Strickson hasn't given the ok for use of his likeness, they could be any number of reasons but "red tape" would be the shortest way to explain why

Koth

Postby Koth » Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

That's a good point. It didn't even cross my mind.

As for having a more correct figure or a cheap alternative, its always going to be down to cost and whatever can be got away with. Hence the lack of hat on the 4th Doctor.

I am impressed, however, at what can be achieved with what has already been released. The use of same body on the Auton and the Brig. But the differences are clear in comparison.

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 am

Some look less official and more like rushed kitbashes. Wondering now if the shirt front on 4 is from Constantine or Bracewell. If not what I was suggesting why not just use a red jacket 4(his Robot look) with the new shirt front and 3's cloak? I know these are likely placeholders and not the actual final product and some seemed photoshopped or the paint rushed like the lines on Bill's top compared to the earlier pics, but just using 3's body and not even the right one does seem lazy.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 am

As others have pointed out, the Auton seems to be based on these ones from Terror of the Autons. Not a perfect match, but I'd rather have this slightly inaccurate repaint that a straight re-release, especially since the original Auton is still quite easy to get.

ta1.jpg
ta1.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Koth

Postby Koth » Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 pm

I didn't realise Missy has a collar and tie on! Nice!

Return to “5" Figures”