Doctor Who Collector Series Line (Discussion for upcoming figures)

joe38658

Re: Doctor Who Collector Series Line (Discussion for upcoming figures)

Postby joe38658 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 am

skifflebits wrote:
DukeNukem 2417 wrote: A BBC America SDCC exclusive isn't going to be likely unless they get a massive restructuring and actually replace all of their canned, pre-packaged American rerun swill with actual BRITISH TELEVISION SERIES AND FILMS.

Not sure what you mean.

I've been going to SDCC for years, and the BBC America SDCC booth has always featured all Brit-TV merchandise, regardless of what they show on the air. It's lately been Sherlock, Doctor Who, Orphan Black, etc.

In fact this year they've got the Jodi Funko Pop.

https://sdccblog.com/2018/07/bbc-shop-s ... es-debuts/

Never seen any American TV merchandise there.

They're selling the Jodie Funko Pop but its a timed exclusive for SDCC which will have a normal release later this year. Exact same figure. Only exclusive thing is the sticker.
i dont know what to put here

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Whovastron wrote:
CaptainJimiPie wrote:According to some people are there "heavy rumours" that the 5" figure will be "announced" on the 19th...however two things about this strike me as odd, firstly it has already been announced so surely it would be a "reveal", and secondly after looking around I actually can't find any original source for these rumours...so yeah pinch of salt with that one

Where has is been announced? I’ve only seen the 10”

If it hasn’t actually been announced, there are 4 other “figures” of 13 announced today, so it seems like a big reveal embargo day or something.
I really hope this is like the crash set, released the day after the first episode

TW.

So it seems the figure will be released months before TV debut, a first for Character (with the exception of rusty K-9). The rule has always been that it must have been in an aired episode before release right? Hence why the crash set was released the day after the Eleventh Hour. After the travesty of timing since series 7 with regard to merch, I’m not surprised if this rule is being changed. Having series 8 figures released whilst series 9 aired was a huge mistake. I hope there will be a range of figures released whilst the show is on air, kids have shorter attention spans than they did 12 years ago, these things need to be on shelves immediately.

In my opinion, If we can have a range of 5/6 5” figures, a TARDIS, a screwdriver, the 10” Figure and some other odd bits on the shelves by the end of the series run, there is a slight chance DW merch could come back in a big way. There’s no doubt that this series is gonna have a huge debut, Jodie will definitely bring a big crowd for episode 1 atleast, and it it’s a good show it will hopefully keep the crowd. Straight after the series is Christmas, so figures coming then will hopefully bring the line back from the dead. Fingers crossed guys

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm

As usual, it's the retailers that need to be convinced.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:As usual, it's the retailers that need to be convinced.

Obviously. Perhaps this merchandise releasing early through the usual suspects could be a way to test sales? Could retailers also be swayed by the ‘event’ nature of a female doctor? I’m sure the media buzz will be strong come September/October for her

TW.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm

joe38658 wrote:They're selling the Jodie Funko Pop but its a timed exclusive for SDCC which will have a normal release later this year. Exact same figure. Only exclusive thing is the sticker.

I only mentioned it as an example of BBC America selling DW merchandise at their SDCC booth.

I'm not a hard-core collector, myself, so any controversy around what exactly "Exclusive" means doesn't really matter to me beyond just getting my hands on the toy.

Just my personal POV. I know it's important to some folks out there.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:15 pm

And the tough part this time is the old retailer adage that boys won't buy figures of female character, and that boys and girls toys need to be separate.

I'm sure the 10" was an easy sell since it looks like a Barbie. Getting retailers -- well, non-collector retailers -- to go for a 5" line that's supposed to sit in the boys aisle is going to be tougher.

Pjd94

Postby Pjd94 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:09 pm

skifflebits wrote:

And the tough part this time is the old retailer adage that boys won't buy figures of female character, and that boys and girls toys need to be separate.

I'm sure the 10" was an easy sell since it looks like a Barbie. Getting retailers -- well, non-collector retailers -- to go for a 5" line that's supposed to sit in the boys aisle is going to be tougher.

This is an opportunity for a gender neutral market for toys aimed at children 5+. This ought to be happening more since for at least 20 years boys and girls have had their preferences respected by their parents one way or the other.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Pjd94 wrote:
skifflebits wrote:

This is an opportunity for a gender neutral market for toys aimed at children 5+. This ought to be happening more since for at least 20 years boys and girls have had their preferences respected by their parents one way or the other.

The thing is, it definitely makes sense and it should be the norm for the toy market to be gender neutral in as many areas as possible. But in the end the kids like what they like, and if action figures sell better with boys than girls it’s no ones fault, it’s the kids who’ve decided that based on other things. It’s why Lego has made ‘minidolls’ A lot of people say criticise the Lego friends and elves sets for being more ‘girly’ colours and making the Minifigures look more like dolls. But the thing is that’s what their research has shown sells well with girls, and friends is now one of their most successful themes.

It sucks, and it will hopefully change, but it’s a very tough situation

TW.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Agreed.

The situation is made tougher by some retailer's insistence that the gender lines are etched in stone and kids will never cross them. The old "boys' toys and girls' toys must be separated" and "boys won't buy action figures of female characters" line.

I'm sure as a statistical fact, boys probably do buy more male figures than female figures, but that doesn't mean any female figure released is somehow doomed to be a pegwarmer, that boys won't pick one up if it's part of a movie or show they love, or that girls won't venture into the boys' section to generate some sales.

In the US, stores don't seem as action-figure-phobic as they used to. There are figures of all different scales on the shelves of Target and Walmart from all of the major franchises. (Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc.) But I'm worried a female Doctor is going to give retailers an excuse to say no to new Doctor Who figures, and retailers are always looking for an excuse to say no.

EndlessTimelord

Postby EndlessTimelord » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 pm

I remember when I was a kid and we got the first lot of figures, I couldn't pick a Doctor up without Rose and a Monster. Personally I feel Doctor Who will get it's own wee section on the shelf. We should be finding out more merch this Thurs so hopefully we'll see something 5inch!

Return to “5" Figures”