B&M sets announced! 3 sets and a Tardis

CaptainJimiPie

Re: B&M sets announced! 3 sets and a Tardis

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Ben C. wrote:Best Pertwee head I've seen thus far, and the TARDIS is outstanding. Not too keen on it being glossy, but great attention to detail.

You must gave gotten lucky, I've seen others say their Third Doctor eyes aren't painted properly and there are example of whole sides of the TARDIS not even being weathered!

Ben C.

Postby Ben C. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Wow - that is CRAZY that something like that passed through QC!

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:07 pm

I've seen some where they've really gone overboard with the weathering, to the point where it almost looks like the Spearhead TARDIS! When the weathering is done properly though, it does look very nice.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:09 pm

My one is really nice, but then I did have two to choose the best between. The one I didn't take had a weird dark spot on the police box sign frame and pertwee's body loked a little lumpy, but the one I got was like goldilocks' porridge, just right. :D

Ben C.

Postby Ben C. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Deborah J wrote:My one is really nice, but then I did have two to choose the best between. The one I didn't take had a weird dark spot on the police box sign frame and pertwee's body loked a little lumpy, but the one I got was like goldilocks' porridge, just right. :D

Woo-hoo! Glad you got a nice one :)

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:03 am

There were three when I got mine, the other two had dodgy pertwees. One with bad eyes and the other with stretched out limbs. Some of the CQ is horrendous, even for a budget line. I posted a few pages back about my K-9 last year being “painted” with black sharpie. And then got ignored by customer service. I didn’t wanna take the set back as the Doctor and Leela were the best out of what they had. Managed to find a second set with a good K-9 though and just swapped the figure out and sold it on

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:59 am

Ben C. wrote:
Deborah J wrote:My one is really nice, but then I did have two to choose the best between. The one I didn't take had a weird dark spot on the police box sign frame and pertwee's body loked a little lumpy, but the one I got was like goldilocks' porridge, just right. :D

Woo-hoo! Glad you got a nice one :)

:D There are a couple of pictures in the thread of it, you can have a look if you like, it's very nice.

RedshirtDan

Postby RedshirtDan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:12 am

Managed to get the two sets I was after the most, the Brig and the Tardis, from B&M Cleveleys and Minworth respectively a few weeks ago, would've shared the info but I've had a God awful flu and made it a hell of a lot worse traveling fifteen miles for a Tardis (worth it, though)

As others have noted, the QC is awful, I saw a bill set I almost bought, but had to leave behind due to such awful paint in Blackpool. But if you get first pick of the bunch, you can easily get something at or above par. I don't recall these sets ever selling so well, all the sets have lasted a matter of hours, if not a day in my local branches, plenty of ninth doctor ones though! :D Anyways, some pictures and thoughts:

Talons Baker with my other 4th Doctor's, great figure, just not a big Baker fan. Did they pick the riding boots to simiulate flared trousers? Or would've the regular shoed Pertwee been a better choice, been a while since I saw the episode.

Back of Baker, nice printing, I'd be tempted to make a custom Pertwee with that cloak but obviously, neither fair nor financially viable.

He's a great figure, and I'm truly happy for the many people who've wanted this chap for a very long time.

Now, to my favourites!
The Auton was a nice surprise. Of course, the spearhead repaint we all expected, but remember that god awful cast in plastic Simms master?

Well they've weaponized it! By casting the Auton's head and hands in literal plastic, that gives it this off coloured uncanny realism next to the other painted classic figures (new on left, Spearhead Auton with painted head on right)
And of course,
At last the Master can be flanked by two Autons! Only dissapointment is the limited paint apps on the gun, easily remedied, and expected but still.

The Brig! He's flawed, but I love him to bits, simply because I never thought we'd see this uniform, accuracy be damned (that and I'm a massive Pertwee fan). The gun didn't come with him, by the way, from a GI Joe but looks enough like the one he uses on Wenley Moor.

Now this highlights both the best and worst about the Brig, personally, I think the likeness to a slightly younger Brig is superb, due to the slightly limited paint apps, and the RAF logo is well hidden till you get up close. But, his UNIT badge isnt printed!

The paint continues round the back, rank insignia is present but simplified on the epulates, nice paint wash on the hair.

And now, the Third Doctor, not much I can say beyond, Pertwee was my Doctor, and many years ago I passed on all the Tardis sets at massive discount because I'm an idiot. So to get a second shot at one, with my favourite Doctor, in my favourite smoking jacket, for a bargain price, whether or not he's accurate is surreal. Truly, if you get the chance, buy it, it's a brilliant set.

Customized inside, credit to Andrew Orton for using his 3D render for it

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:14 am

I didnt get a choice in mine, the lady asked my grandad how may he wanted and just brought him the one, but my police box is very nice, and so is the pertwee for the main part, only thing is, he has blue lips....
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

RedshirtDan

Postby RedshirtDan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:19 am

As for Tardis sets, I'd like to see a 5th, 4th with Stones of Blood Tom, and moreover, a TV movie one with night of the Doctor 8th minus bandolier. I also expect to see the War Doctor with a battle damaged Tardis, B&M seem well aware what's rare and in demand

Blue lips! Dear me, I'd seen some cock eyed with white lipstick

Return to “5" Figures”