B&M sets announced! 3 sets and a Tardis

Doctor What

Re: B&M sets announced! 3 sets and a Tardis

Postby Doctor What » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:45 am

This is probably the worst paintjob i've had on a figure, although i've been pretty lucky overall. This is from the Genesis 4 pack with Davros, the paint on the neck rings just seems to have chipped off, the dome lights have no paint on the tops and there's a massive piece of paitn missing from the plunger ball joint.

Here's a close up of my Brigadier, I don't understand why this is the only figure with weird eyes.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:40 pm

I feel like the brigadier hasn't had great luck with his eyes in other figures as well. Like I haven't seen a picture of a 3 doctors version brigadier that doesn't have the eyes painted below the place where they're sculpted on. S I guess at least B&M brigadier doesn't have that problem. He could probably have done with slightly smaller pupils, and a drop of eyeliner on the top to make him look a little less booglie, but mine isn't too bad. Maybe I just got a particularly good one, though, I don't know. I might try and find a better camera and take a glamorous close up of him, see how he looks under careful scrutiny.

IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG (235.44 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

Ok, so turns out my camera is broken, that's the best it could do. I remember when it could take really sharp super-close-up pictures of ladybirds and stuff, I guess nothing lasts forever. That picture tells you nothing. :/ Oh well, I tried.

glasshouse_8th

Postby glasshouse_8th » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:00 pm

I do feel that the Brig is actually the worst figure of the 1970's set. Having the miltary badges painted over the Captain Jack RAF insginia is pretty obvious and the paintwork for the Brig's eyes and moustache looks like someone used a black felt-tip. I'm lucky enough to have bought The Claws of Axos set a few years back, and by comparsion, the Brig from that set is superb. Realistic looking eyes and realistic moustache, plus accurate UNIT beret.

I realise C/O do these sets on a very limited budget and mass produce them, but I don't get why they couldn't use the existing paintwork template from the Axos set Brig, rather than create the rather slapdash effort of a figure that's been made for the current 1970's set.
"The universe hangs by such a delicate thread of points, it's useless to meddle with it. Unless, like me, you're a Time Lord" - 8th Doctor

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm

glasshouse_8th wrote:I do feel that the Brig is actually the worst figure of the 1970's set. Having the miltary badges painted over the Captain Jack RAF insginia is pretty obvious and the paintwork for the Brig's eyes and moustache looks like someone used a black felt-tip. I'm lucky enough to have bought The Claws of Axos set a few years back, and by comparsion, the Brig from that set is superb. Realistic looking eyes and realistic moustache, plus accurate UNIT beret.

I realise C/O do these sets on a very limited budget and mass produce them, but I don't get why they couldn't use the existing paintwork template from the Axos set Brig, rather than create the rather slapdash effort of a figure that's been made for the current 1970's set.

That's an interesting alternative point of view, to me the brigadier is the best of the set, I don't know if maybe my eyesight is a little worse than everyone elses, but a lot of the little subtle things I struggle to see unless I'm holding the figure right up to my face. Like I've got him on the table behind me, if I glance round from this distance he looks great. I can't see the RAF badge shape unless I look really closely, for example. The moustache is a little heavily done for sure, but, like, in the black and white stories it looks like that, it just looks like a black felt shape stuck to his face. That's just my thoughts, though.

The Empty Child

Postby The Empty Child » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Doctor What wrote:

When you read Doctor/Master fan fiction.

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm

idontremembermylogin wrote: My 11th doctor is actually quite good - the head especially.

Just got back to my collection and have swapped some heads.
B&M head Standard 7B body.jpg
B&M head Standard 7B body.jpg (63.87 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Standard 7B head B&M Body.jpg
Standard 7B head B&M Body.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Now I know that a comparison on the same body with the two heads would've been nicer, but that B&M body is a stubborn thing. The new head looks nicer than the old one - a surprise for B&M usually - and I'm glad that the new figure looks fine with the old head on.
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:56 pm

idontremembermylogin wrote:
idontremembermylogin wrote: My 11th doctor is actually quite good - the head especially.

Just got back to my collection and have swapped some heads.
B&M head Standard 7B body.jpgStandard 7B head B&M Body.jpg
Now I know that a comparison on the same body with the two heads would've been nicer, but that B&M body is a stubborn thing. The new head looks nicer than the old one - a surprise for B&M usually - and I'm glad that the new figure looks fine with the old head on.

Wait, so the top head is the one from the B&M set and the bottom one is the original NOTD figure's head, but they've been swapped over? That difference in quality is crazy, the one in the bottom picture is really deathly pale and kind of overdone the eyeliner... Wait that just sounds like me, did they do an action figure of Matt Smith made up to look like me? Perhaps not. But seriously, though, it's weird that the B&M one is so much better, like that TOTD figure cost about £30, if I remember correctly, the B&M set is barely over half that, and comes with two friends for him to hang out with.

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Deborah J wrote:Wait, so the top head is the one from the B&M set and the bottom one is the original NOTD figure's head, but they've been swapped over? That difference in quality is crazy, the one in the bottom picture is really deathly pale and kind of overdone the eyeliner... Wait that just sounds like me, did they do an action figure of Matt Smith made up to look like me? Perhaps not. But seriously, though, it's weird that the B&M one is so much better, like that TOTD figure cost about £30, if I remember correctly, the B&M set is barely over half that, and comes with two friends for him to hang out with.

It's actually just a standard Collector's Series 11, I'm not able to check this myself because I wasn't able to get one, but from what I've seen the NOTD is the same this. I do agree with you - its awkwardly pale. I never noticed until I compared the two today.
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

glasshouse_8th

Postby glasshouse_8th » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:48 pm

The current 11th Doctor B&M figure definitely has better face paintwork than the TOTD figure.
But then it was the same in 2015 with the 4th Doctor City of Death figure in the B&M set. It had much better facial detail than the original City of Death figure from 2010.

It seems to be pot luck though, as some of the recent B&M figures have been awful, such as last year's 9th Doctor figure. Also, the 10th Doctor from the 2015 B&M set wasn't as good in facial detail as the version from the 2010 Eleven Doctors set, despite using the same head sculpt.

So it really is swings and roundabouts with the B&M sets!
"The universe hangs by such a delicate thread of points, it's useless to meddle with it. Unless, like me, you're a Time Lord" - 8th Doctor

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:53 pm

idontremembermylogin wrote:
Deborah J wrote:Wait, so the top head is the one from the B&M set and the bottom one is the original NOTD figure's head, but they've been swapped over? That difference in quality is crazy, the one in the bottom picture is really deathly pale and kind of overdone the eyeliner... Wait that just sounds like me, did they do an action figure of Matt Smith made up to look like me? Perhaps not. But seriously, though, it's weird that the B&M one is so much better, like that TOTD figure cost about £30, if I remember correctly, the B&M set is barely over half that, and comes with two friends for him to hang out with.

It's actually just a standard Collector's Series 11, I'm not able to check this myself because I wasn't able to get one, but from what I've seen the NOTD is the same this. I do agree with you - its awkwardly pale. I never noticed until I compared the two today.

I've seen them in person, like in forbidden planet, and I never noticed them being as pale as that, but I guess you need that close up comparison.

Also, and I hope this doesn't upset you, I wouldn't want you to be too insulted, but your thumbnail is so short it made me cry.

Return to “5" Figures”