Doctor Who Collector Series Line (Discussion for upcoming figures)

CaptainJimiPie

Re: Doctor Who Collector Series Line (Discussion for upcoming figures)

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 am

skifflebits wrote:
The Outcast wrote: Probably the reason we've not yet seen it is because the BBC haven't show off the new interior yet, and the TARDIS toys always have interior cards (atleast, the NuWho ones do).

Man, it has to be frustrating being a toy company.

Toy Company: "We've got these great toys we want to promote!"
BBC: "You can't yet."
Toy Company: "Why not?"
BBC: "We want the wallpaper to be a surprise."

To be fair the toy companies don't do themselves favours much either

BBC : "Here's 50+ Years Of Doctor Who figure ideas"
Fans : "We would love to see (insert figure idea here)...or just some re-releases, maybe some Daleks?"
Toy Company : (once the licence/copyright/likeness red tape it all tied up) "Right, lets ignore what the fans want and release a string of inaccurate, poorly made figures so we can make as much money as possible and spend as little as possible"

Ok I've overstated it a little for comedic effect :lol: :lol: but you get my drift.

And to be fair as well (if the BBC gave their permission) the toy companies could still showcase the known character figures, and as for the TARDIS model they could just release some promo pictures without the doors open but confirm the existence of lights/sounds/interior card etc...there would no doubt be angry fans that demand to see EVERYTHING and EVERY detail but personally I think most of us would just be happy to know we're getting it and what they would generally look like

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 pm

CaptainJimiPie wrote:BBC : "Here's 50+ Years Of Doctor Who figure ideas"
Fans : "We would love to see (insert figure idea here)...or just some re-releases, maybe some Daleks?"
Toy Company : (once the licence/copyright/likeness red tape it all tied up) "Right, lets ignore what the fans want and release a string of inaccurate, poorly made figures so we can make as much money as possible and spend as little as possible"

Ha!

Well, to be fair...

Toy Company: "Right, we're barely scraping a profit on these now that the big retailers have dropped off. We can't even move 6,000 units, and it costs £50K just to make the damn mould. At least the blokes at B&M still want repaints. Maybe we can keep this comatose patient breathing for one more year." :)

And to be fair as well (if the BBC gave their permission) the toy companies could still showcase the known character figures, and as for the TARDIS model they could just release some promo pictures without the doors open but confirm the existence of lights/sounds/interior card etc...there would no doubt be angry fans that demand to see EVERYTHING and EVERY detail but personally I think most of us would just be happy to know we're getting it and what they would generally look like

"If the BBC gave their permission" was kind of my point in the first place. :)
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:19 pm

The Outcast wrote:
Bundy wrote:I'm wondering if the TARDIS comes with the figure and that is why we've not seen it, as all the promo photos of the figure include the TARDIS and they are wanting to keep the interior secret.

There is still the outside chance it is for the 10" doll since there is no scale specified. Something like the 'Battles in Time' card holder (or whatever they were called).

No, the only confirmed 5.5" 13 is from Seven20, and the TARDIS is made by CO (as all the other products that were leaked were). So while it's possible CO's own 13th Doctor figure (you can't have a TARDIS without a Doctor) will come with it, I don't know.

And it also cannot be for the 10 inch figure range, as the price for the (Electronic) TARDIS is 20 pound.

This why I have theorised we'll be getting a whole range of (most likely 5.5") Series 11 figures from Character this year. The TARDIS and the 13th Doctor figure would be separate products, so if they are making a 13th Doctor figure, why not show it off? The only answer that seems logical to me is if it was part of a wave (probably of only six figures, I'm not getting my hopes too far up) that features characters we have yet to see in the marketing, as CO only show waves as a whole (usually atleast).

Even if there's really a 13th doctor's 5.5" figure coming (which isn't announced so far), it doesn't mean that there will be a full wave of figures released. We haven't seen that happen since Matt Smith

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:21 pm

skifflebits wrote:Ha!

Well, to be fair...

Toy Company: "Right, we're barely scraping a profit on these now that the big retailers have dropped off. We can't even move 6,000 units, and it costs £50K just to make the damn mould. At least the blokes at B&M still want repaints. Maybe we can keep this comatose patient breathing for one more year." :)

Sadly a much more realistic view

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:32 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:
skifflebits wrote:Ha!

Well, to be fair...

Sadly a much more realistic view

Honestly I wish they’d just cancel the line (apart from a doctor figure whenever there’s a new one). I wanna keep collecting them but man it’s tough seeing it dragged out like it is. But at the same time it’s still nice to get stuff...conflicting...

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Can I ask why?

And I'm not being critical, I'm just curious.

I'd prefer more figures, but I'm always happy to get the figures we do get.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Koth

Postby Koth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:Even if there's really a 13th doctor's 5.5" figure coming (which isn't announced so far), it doesn't mean that there will be a full wave of figures released. We haven't seen that happen since Matt Smith

Lets face it every Matt Smith wave was a variant upon a variant!

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:43 am

Koth wrote:
HubertBonisseur wrote:Even if there's really a 13th doctor's 5.5" figure coming (which isn't announced so far), it doesn't mean that there will be a full wave of figures released. We haven't seen that happen since Matt Smith

Lets face it every Matt Smith wave was a variant upon a variant!

Yes, because the high street retailers had already given up on the line.

Less orders = more variants and rereleases to honour existing orders and less new figures to keep in budget

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:45 am

Received my Bill figure from Amazon this morning. It's a beaut!

Lovaticnwhovian

Postby Lovaticnwhovian » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 am

HubertBonisseur wrote:Received my Bill figure from Amazon this morning. It's a beaut!

Really!? I got an email yesterday saying it will arrive in October
(Formally Wholords2)

Star wars, Demi Lovato, Sia ,Doctor who and Ariana grande fan!!

Return to “5" Figures”