The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Spannerintheworks

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:54 pm
Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:44 am
A - No i think the 80’s Master if released again would need to be a fully correct figure .. thats not to say we could not reuse some elements of another figure BUT unlike Romana and I’ve looked at this a few times and there is very little that could be used from other figures in regard to his iconic outfit .
Shame there aren't any other characters with puffy sleeves.

Seriously puffy sleeve deficit in Doctor Who history.
Traken did kinda corner the market on that one. :D

Question for the Lurker Unlike, say, "Star Wars" this was never gonna be an "action vehicle"/rolling playset kinda line. But against all odds, we've gotten some pretty cool ones. (Console rooms, Priory set, Sontaran ships) and some that make the best of this often not terribly "playset-friendly" show. (The Sanctuary base elevator, Various Master TARDIS sets, 3.75 in sets)

Leaving out the obvious (Classic Console room, Bessie, Whomobile) is there anything you personally kinda wanted to manifest in plastic playset wise?

Panopticon? UNIT lab? Dalek city/corridor?

Do tell.

GSD

Post by GSD »

Throw us a curveball. Do secretly jnvest in a new body for the Ainley Master, but also go Survival outfit as opposed to Traken outfit. :lol:

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:44 am
Q - Was the decision to release the Ainley Master in a suit rather than his regular outfit simply one of cost, or was it because it was an exclusive and the intent was to subsequently do a general release of the regular outfitted figure?
A - Yes purely on cost basis and also finding a story we could tie his stone column TARDIS into as well.

Q - I think you once said you would like to release the regular outfitted figure but that costs prevented a new body sculpt and no re-use of current figures was close enough. Given the generally warm reception the approximation of Romana I has received would you now consider releasing something more of an approximation than a totally screen accurate appearance in this case?
A - No i think the 80’s Master if released again would need to be a fully correct figure .. thats not to say we could not reuse some elements of another figure BUT unlike Romana and I’ve looked at this a few times and there is very little that could be used from other figures in regard to his iconic outfit .
Thank you - even if your answer does break my heart :(

Having watched 2 loose figures go for £40+ each on e-bay this week, if you a looking for a dead cert for your next on-line exclusive.........

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Q - Unlike, say, "Star Wars" this was never gonna be an "action vehicle"/rolling playset kinda line. But against all odds, we've gotten some pretty cool ones. (Console rooms, Priory set, Sontaran ships) and some that make the best of this often not terribly "playset-friendly" show. (The Sanctuary base elevator, Various Master TARDIS sets, 3.75 in sets)

I think the most obvious stuff is the stuff id go for ... but also it would likely end up more Classic Series as i think they had more iconic stuff.

4Th Doctor Console
Secondary wooden Console
TV Movie Console
Matt Smith Console

Whomobile .... the planet of the spiders one with canopy
U.N.I.T landrover
Earthshock Cyber Unit
Android invasion Pod

For Luck's Sake

Post by For Luck's Sake »

I'm just going to repost these questions from last week:

-When you (and CO) launched the first wave of K-1 build-a-figure classics way back in 2008, did you ever imagine this classic line would keep on going for years? Or was it a one-off to test the waters?

-Is there a classic figure you produced that you still pinch yourself today and say out of surprise “I can’t believe we were actually able to make this!”?

-There seemed to be a heavy focus on 70s monsters and figures during the (first?) height of the classic range. Is this due to the popularity of the era, or just because the Letts/Hinchcliffe eras produced some really cool looking monsters and characters that look great on the shelf?

-Are there certain eras or doctors that sell better than others?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:10 pm
4Th Doctor Console
Secondary wooden Console
TV Movie Console
Matt Smith Console
I am so down for all of these. If I had a few million dollars, could I personally finance them? :)

I still wonder if the 80s console could be the cheapest to produce since it's essentially made of three nearly-identical sections of two panels each.
Whomobile .... the planet of the spiders one with canopy
U.N.I.T landrover
Earthshock Cyber Unit
Android invasion Pod
Oooo! Intriguing...

Emperor Omega

Post by Emperor Omega »

Question, in regards to the 'History of the Daleks' Set.

Will they be produced in sequential order?

Like, we've had the 'Dead Planet' & 'Invasion' sets & if rumours are to be believed, there are sets in development for 'Chase' & 'Masterplan'.

Would you jump to an 80s Dalek set after that for a bit of variety, or will you just continue following the order of the show with 'Power' & 'Evil' being next?

GSD

Post by GSD »

Emperor Omega wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 pm
Question, in regards to the 'History of the Daleks' Set.

Will they be produced in sequential order?

Like, we've had the 'Dead Planet' & 'Invasion' sets & if rumours are to be believed, there are sets in development for 'Chase' & 'Masterplan'.

Would you jump to an 80s Dalek set after that for a bit of variety, or will you just continue following the order of the show with 'Power' & 'Evil' being next?

I thought about this recently. One solution would be, after the Chase and Masterplan would be to continue movig forwards with one set and backwards with the other. So, in theory, the releases could be:

Power & Rememberance, Evil & Revelation, Day & Resurrection, etc.

Mastersclanger

Post by Mastersclanger »

Hello Al, Could you tell me what paint they use for the figures, thanks. Also as for the puffy shoulders for a Master figure what about Francesco from Vampires of Venice?

SJF

Post by SJF »

Mastersclanger wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 pm
Hello Al, Could you tell me what paint they use for the figures, thanks. Also as for the puffy shoulders for a Master figure what about Francesco from Vampires of Venice?
I’m not Al but Francesco doesn’t have puffy shoulders and his costume is practically nothing like Ainley’s. Like he’s wearing boots and has a long tunic and a cape.