Spannerintheworks

Re: General Questions About Figures Thread

Post by Spannerintheworks »

DalekCheese wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:08 pm
Gek2Win wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:50 am
Okay but Grandma Connolly is very cool.
I wasn’t even joking they’re actually all good figures- albeit, perhaps, not the ones I would have chosen if I were Al.
It does say something that even silly “““joke””” figures have as much attention lavished on them as “““proper””” ones!
Totally agree. It's worth throwing in that now more than ever any straight reissues have usually had notably improved paint applications too, often addressing concerns voiced on the original figure OR increasing screen accuracy/resemblance. Other companies just plain reproduce and reissue. This line actually REVISITS the figure.

I used to lament missing the Ainley/5th Doctor twin pack solely due to the Ainley Master, I felt the hatted 5 resemblance was ok at best. But the recent 5th Doctor TARDIS set either shows my memory in error or a marked improvement paintwise; Based on other improvements I've A/B'd (Season 18 4th Doctor, Season 9 Capaldi headsculpt, Amy Pond (S5/6), The Brigadier, "Snowmen" 11th Doctor and the "Chase" Guard Dalek) I'm inclined to believe the latter.

They didn't NEED to improve anything. In fact, the 5th TARDIS set probably would've sold the same for the most part with a straight reissue, for example. Same with many of the others I've mentioned. But I'm hard pressed to think of a reissue that didn't try to either improve the existing figure via paint apps or create a believable new one on paint apps alone. I appreciate the care and effort, basically.

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

I'd like to do a customisation involving the Brigadier. Does anyone know whether the head can be pulled straight off like the 4th Doctor figures or is it one of the heads with a "lip" at the bottom of the neck that requires a boiling water job?

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

The Brigadier does indeed have a head like the fourth doctor's.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

is it a custom where you put the brig head on the benton/yates body and do a new hat and it's web of fear brig?

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 am
is it a custom where you put the brig head on the benton/yates body and do a new hat and it's web of fear brig?
No, I'm not brave enough to attempt something that complex. This is just a simple head swap because I want a brig with Cap head (as opposed to Beret head) and jumper body like the one in the Daemons set, because I never got the Daemons set and it's very pricey now. I have a spare cap head Brig, and a spare jumper body so it makes sense to swap the heads and... voila! I have the definitive Brigadier.
Gek2Win wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:37 am
Thanks for the help!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Uncle_Abe wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:33 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 am
No, I'm not brave enough to attempt something that complex. This is just a simple head swap because I want a brig with Cap head (as opposed to Beret head) and jumper body like the one in the Daemons set, because I never got the Daemons set and it's very pricey now. I have a spare cap head Brig, and a spare jumper body so it makes sense to swap the heads and... voila! I have the definitive Brigadier.
Gek2Win wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:37 am
Thanks for the help!
Aaaaah, yes that's a good idea, I'd really hoped we'd maybe get a reissue of cap/jumper brig in this years sets somewhere, like you it's the only variant I don't have. I don't have a spare cap head I can make my own with though, so I'll just have to do without until such a time as there is a rerelease or I get a good deal on ebay, if either of those ever happen.

beearby

Post by beearby »

Does anybody know anything about the SDCC Father's Day 9th Doctor, packaged without a Top Trumps card as in this photo? I know the Time Crash set was also released without one, limited to 100 sets, directly from Character Options, but don't know anything about the 9th Doctor being released the same way?

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Does anyone have a full collectors list for the 5inch figures? I'm not sure if I'm missing any. Thank you

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

TheOnComingStorm wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 pm
Does anyone have a full collectors list for the 5inch figures? I'm not sure if I'm missing any. Thank you
I have a list I work from, but I think there are some minor variants not in there, like the two IOT leelas with their differing eye colours, and the two eye colours of cassandra and shirtless banacaffalatta, and the very veeeeery slightly different hartnell from TRU, I don't count any of them as their own figures, and I also don't count straight rereleases packaged with different things, rose with ice gun isn't there for instance.

Dalekoddjob

Post by Dalekoddjob »

TheOnComingStorm wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 pm
Most are listed on the main site