The Actual Seven20 Thread

Bundesrat

Re: The Actual Seven20 Thread

Post by Bundesrat »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 pm
It arrived earlier than expected!!

Here's a photo!!

A little less detailed than the prototype photo, but...

Very impressed - they've captured the essence of the new Doctor down to a t

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

I wonder when McDonald’s are getting them in, odd considering there isn’t a series to tie in the happy meals to...

TW.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

DalekCheese wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:54 pm
That isn’t an image I wanted.
That's what she said...?

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

skifflebits wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:00 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:54 pm
That isn’t an image I wanted.
That's what she said...?
Nope

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

OK, I managed to upload a few pics.

First, it's not as bad in person as the original promo photos suggested. It's not a bad figure at all on the whole, it just isn't up to what CO has been doing lately. If you saw it on the shelves between the Marvel and Star Wars figures, you wouldn't think it was out of place.

A few observations.
- It's short. Well, shorter than the CO Jodie figure, anyway. It may actually be more in scale in comparison to the height of the other Doctors than CO's figure is. But as we all know, keeping to scale isn't CO's strong suit. (Remember when it was just 'The 5" Line?')

- The likeness isn't bad, but it does lack the subtlety of the CO sculpt. It feels more "Star Wars Rebels" than "Star Wars Black."

- The paint's not as detailed. That's most obvious on the head, hair and boots, though the rest of the costume is just fine. In fact, kudos for getting the stripe on the jacket all the way down.

- I think the entire head is made of flesh-colored plastic, which means it's got the same problem as the Yana figure with its eerily undifferentiated skin tone.

- On the whole, I'd personally rate the figure a C+, in comparison to CO's figure which i'd give an A-. (EDIT: Revised my rating down from B- to C+)

Now to see if I can get these pictures to paste in from Imgur. (Seriously, when did Imgur start sucking?)

Last edited by skifflebits on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avon

Post by Avon »

It's Debbie Harry! Or is it, Gillian Anderson, I'm not sure..? :lol:

In all seriousness, thank you for the pictures! Admittedly, I'll be the bad guy and say it's not too bad, in my opinion, it's awful and utterly dire to my eyes but, for a first figure for a toy company to make.., I've seen worse. It's, as you said, almost the budget line versus the premium, the details extremely soft, paint apps are awful, with no subtlety or finesse or grace, very cartoony, like chinese KO's of some Marvel figures I've seen. So she's about the same height as Ace? As you said yourself, I'll give them credit, they got the rainbow stripe right, though I doubt the BBC will be impressed by the time it took to make...

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

It looks... oddly shiny.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

It is indeed odd that they chose a shiny paint for the clothes. Can't figure that out at all.

And personally, I wouldn't call the paint apps dire, just super basic. Both the CO and the 720 figures have nice stripes on the t-shirt while having trouble painting a straight line on the braces.

It's not great, but it does pass "the shelf test," albeit just barely.

I have no idea of Seven20 will try making more figures after this one, but I hope they lean toward monsters rather than more humans. If they release the monsters CO has skipped in recent years -- "Nightmare" Cybermen, new series Ice Warriors and Zygons, the "Resolution" Dalek, etc. -- they could actually carve a little niche for themselves.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

skifflebits wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:18 pm
It is indeed odd that they chose a shiny paint for the clothes. Can't figure that out at all.

And personally, I wouldn't call the paint apps dire, just super basic. Both the CO and the 720 figures have nice stripes on the t-shirt while having trouble painting a straight line on the braces.

It's not great, but it does pass "the shelf test," albeit just barely.

I have no idea of Seven20 will try making more figures after this one, but I hope they lean toward monsters rather than more humans. If they release the monsters CO has skipped in recent years -- "Nightmare" Cybermen, new series Ice Warriors and Zygons, the "Resolution" Dalek, etc. -- they could actually carve a little niche for themselves.
They could. One thing I’ve noticed- there’s a small ‘nub’ on the back of her hair, like you get when you don’t clip model sprues close enough. Hopefully they’ll iron these things out in time.

TOMFAN

Post by TOMFAN »

It looks tiny compared to the CO version, but oddly, it looks fine with the other Doctors!

Very intresting to see though, thanks for posting the pictures.