Hey Kids! Let's Brainstorm Primeval Figure Re-Uses!

skifflebits

Re: Hey Kids! Let's Brainstorm Primeval Figure Re-Uses!

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:21 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:19 pm
SJF wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:24 pm
Zoe Heriot (Martha body, new head)
Wheel in Space Cyberman x2 (Tomb Cyberman with new head + pvc bits)
Which of Zoe's outfits were you thinking for Martha Jones?
Probably her glittery catsuit from The Mind Robber. It’s not very close but it’d still be closer than Romana 1.
It could definitely work. The only problematic element is the plunging neck line. :)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

SJF wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:50 pm
I’m not good with Cybermen so I don’t know the exact similarities and differences I just thought it’d be difficult to do a new Wheel head on the Invasion sculpt compared to on the Tomb one.
Basically it's a tweaked Tomb Cyberman, heading towards "The Invasion".

If we were to 100% accommodate accuracy -
*New Head, basically Tomb but with different eyes/mouth
*Tomb Chest piece flipped upside down
*Body is closer to "The Invasion", with visible front zip/Top separation from pants
*Piping is unique; runs from top of Chest unit to arms. Arm piping is wiring running to an upper arm box then to the hands, which are also a unique design.

So, if we wanted reasonably close -

*Invasion Body
*Tomb Chest Piece
*New head (New Sculpt)

....and we could just accept a reuse of Invasion piping.

I'd wager that to make it work they'd have to redo the Chest piece, so a new Head and Modified Chest piece/New Chest Piece. Which, given we only just got new heads and wraps, pretty much explains why they were a no-go.

I'd wager we get an Attack Controller before this. But, I wouldn't rule it out as it definitely could use an existing Cyberman as a base figure and be mostly accurate.

Spannerintheworks

SJF wrote:
skifflebits wrote:
SJF wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:24 pm
Zoe Heriot (Martha body, new head)
Wheel in Space Cyberman x2 (Tomb Cyberman with new head + pvc bits)
Probably her glittery catsuit from The Mind Robber. It’s not very close but it’d still be closer than Romana 1.
Honestly, if you take Jo Grant (Three Doctors), paint the main dress red with a white "bib" area to imply the dress cut, paint the sleeves white you can approximate her from "The Invasion" and be way closer. Yes, the collar and boots are wrong, but it's still closer than Martha for a catsuit. (Probably cheaper too, given a sparkly paint app needed)

Plus - if we can give Romana a scarf, we could give Zoe a boa, which would obscure the collar inaccuracy.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 pm
SJF wrote:
skifflebits wrote:

Honestly, if you take Jo Grant (Three Doctors), paint the main dress red with a white "bib" area to imply the dress cut, paint the sleeves white you can approximate her from "The Invasion" and be way closer. Yes, the collar and boots are wrong, but it's still closer than Martha for a catsuit. (Probably cheaper too, given a sparkly paint app needed)

Plus - if we can give Romana a scarf, we could give Zoe a boa, which would obscure the collar inaccuracy.
It’s not really close at all tbh. It’s just the dress piece that bears a passing resemblance. And at this rate all the classic companions are going to be split down the middle between having a Claudia Brown and a Jo Grant body.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

what we could really do with, and I don't think the budget will allow for this at all, is a kind of generic body that could be adapted into different figures with just new wraps, I know that my leela with new arms for Mawdryn Nyssa didn't stick, but something of that variety, an essentially bare base body, with plug holes for various vinyl wraps, and maybe two possible arm options, a short and a long, and two sets of bare legs, one boot and one pumps, and then use that as a base for enough figures to justify the cost, essentially a base figure for any dress or skirt wearing figure. or even a character in leggings. Everyone would be the same height, and it would kind of lose some of the individuality that the earlier figures had, but that would get you a workable figure of every female companion that doesn't have a figure yet

Barbara from Keys of marinus with that iconic big sweater and leggings
Susan from DIOE in striped top and leggings
Vicki from the Rescue in unreasonably short shift dress
Dodo... here is a sticking point because you'd want her in her celestial toymaker garb really, and that needs a no-sleeve option. Idk, maybe make the torso be compatible with the Bill arms, then you can just use those for her
Polly from the tenth planet (I'd favour the miscoloured pink version from twice upon a time, just an aesthetic preference)
Victoria from Enemy, Web or Fury, not really an iconic look for her in a dress, I'd prefer abominable snowmen so idk.
Zoe from either the Invasion or the Krotons. Maybe the dominators one, but that would be hard to realise in plastic, the skirt is sheer to the point of transparency.
Tegan in almost any of her outfits
Nyssa from Snakedance or Mawdryn
Mel from Paradise Towers (fancy top over white leggings)

I know, it wouldn't be a workable solution in reality, CO and B&M aren't going to budget in a base body like that, and having every figure with the same legs and arms would add a bit of monotony to the line, but it's an interesting idea, I think.

Also, what are the board's thoughts on Mickey's body repainted as Tenth Planet Ben? TP ben and polly paired with either a cyberman or a hartnell figure with open jacket, cloak hat and white scarf would be such a nice set.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Yeah I’ve thought about using Mickey for Ben, I just hate that figure though so I’m biased against it, but it’s probably the most workable base now that we know that Cutter figure is off the table.

And yeah, I’d probably take the pink version of Polly too. I think there’s just something a bit more iconic about it because everyone thought the dress was pink even before Twice Upon a Time. They could always do a variant anyway. Plus if they do Polly in red then it would clash with the hypothetical Liz figure that they’d also make with the same base.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

A Wheel in Space Cyberman wouldn't be possible on a B&M budget. It'd require entirely new arms, legs, hands, head and chest unit to be accurate, and whilst they could probably nearly get away with just giving it a new head and chest unit and I'd get it, I don't even know if they could do a new chest unit on a B&M budget.

An Attack Controller is definitely the best option for a new Cyberman figure.

SJF

Post by SJF »

The Outcast wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 am
A Wheel in Space Cyberman wouldn't be possible on a B&M budget. It'd require entirely new arms, legs, hands, head and chest unit to be accurate, and whilst they could probably nearly get away with just giving it a new head and chest unit and I'd get it, I don't even know if they could do a new chest unit on a B&M budget.

I mean

Have you seen our Romana I figure?

Spannerintheworks

SJF wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:06 am
The Outcast wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 am

I mean

Have you seen our Romana I figure?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(Don't get me wrong - I am THRILLED we have Romana 1 and the head looks great. But in terms of outfit accuracy, yeah, it's definitely a "Well, if Romana unbuttoned her pink shirt and ran about a bit, yes!")

A Wheel head is just a modified Tomb head - just a different face. The Invasion body is close. It's just that chest unit that is probably keeping a 85% accurate figure from being feasible.

Koth2

Post by Koth2 »

A Wheel Cyberman has been banged on about for ages and ages. You can't turn the page without Wheel Cybermen being mentioned.

A 2 pack of Wheel Cybermen with a Charlie (SJS School Reunion body) would make an excellent Sword of Orion set.

Can we have a Wheel Cyberman please?