Hey Kids! Let's Brainstorm Primeval Figure Re-Uses!

Deborah J

Re: Hey Kids! Let's Brainstorm Primeval Figure Re-Uses!

Post by Deborah J »

I'd prefer a wheel cyberman, can they not just repaint the tomb head so the teardrops are just painted on, then install the tomb chest piece upside down on the invasion body?

SJF

Post by SJF »

Tbh I’m not that bothered about a Wheel Cyberman myself but I still think it’d be nice because I know people have wanted one for years.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

it's the only major classic boi we don't have yet. A Moonbase one would be nice too, that's pretty much just tomb with the legs of the tomb controller I think, and I'm sad we never got the Nightmare cyberman as a 5" figure, or have any sign of the S 12 ones, but since they're whole new sculpts they're less likely. It would be fun to be able to line up one cyberman from every classic story.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 pm
it's the only major classic boi we don't have yet. A Moonbase one would be nice too, that's pretty much just tomb with the legs of the tomb controller I think, and I'm sad we never got the Nightmare cyberman as a 5" figure, or have any sign of the S 12 ones, but since they're whole new sculpts they're less likely. It would be fun to be able to line up one cyberman from every classic story.
Yeah, I feel like missing the "Nightmare" Cyberman is a big hole in the Cyber lineup. I dunno, maybe with this past season so Cyber-focused they could talk a retailer into doing a "Doctor and Cyberman" series like the Doctor and Dalek series for 2013. Might give them the capital they'd need to finally release a proper Nightmare guy. (Wishful thinking, I know.)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm
I'd prefer a wheel cyberman, can they not just repaint the tomb head so the teardrops are just painted on, then install the tomb chest piece upside down on the invasion body?
So, that would look a bit....odd.

The Tomb Cybermen (and Moonbase before them) seemingly took some inspiration from the Tenth Planet face design - They're blank holes/slits surrounded by a border.

In contrast, the "Wheel" face is actually a reduction of those features- Smaller hole/slit with the teardrops.

I don't know the prop history, but given the reuse going on in "Wheel" of other props/sets and how slapdash other costume storage was at the time, I'd be pretty confident guessing the Tomb heads were just stripped of the border for reuse - I kinda doubt they'd have new heads made just for Wheel to toss them out for "The Invasion" the next year. For all we know the teardrop eyes and smaller slit were under the Tomb eyes/mouth the whole time.

So, while the Tomb head shape/piping/top is Wheel-accurate, painting over the Tomb facial features would look like trying to correct/write over a "Y" with an "I"- A new (or modified) head sculpt would be best and in the current production climate, possible. It's that chest unit/piping that poses issue.

I looked at my Tomb Cybermen and it seems the upper portion of the unit is separate from the part that holds/connects the tubing. So it's possible (No WAY I'm taking them apart to find out) that the unit itself has a usable top but would need a new connecting join to the Invasion body. Still requires more than a new head, and possibly a new body wrap as well.

But mind - the minute they could complete the classic Sontarans, they did. No way would a marketable popular figure like a Cyberman not be offered if it was $-feasible. Maybe not now, but hopefully soon.

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

GSD wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:36 pm
SJF wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:18 pm
Ben Jackson
I’ve mentioned the Captain Jack figure idea already. Other than that I’m not sure. If push comes to shove, any generic male body will work well enough because most of his episodes are missing anyway and it’s not like he has an iconic costume or style anyway. Still I’d say it’s unlikely that a figure of him will be made for now.
The idea only just came to me, but you could in theory get away with using a Primeval Nick Cutter for a 'Highlanders' Ben—with his overshirt buttoned up. Still not ideal, but I think I prefer it to the idea of using a Jack.

Would it not be possible to make a passable 'MACRA TERROR' Ben from Rory Williams, in his maroon shirt/tan slacks? The outfit is basically the same, it'd just need a new head sculpt?

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

dorkjackson wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 am
GSD wrote:
SJF wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:18 pm
Ben Jackson
I’ve mentioned the Captain Jack figure idea already. Other than that I’m not sure. If push comes to shove, any generic male body will work well enough because most of his episodes are missing anyway and it’s not like he has an iconic costume or style anyway. Still I’d say it’s unlikely that a figure of him will be made for now.
The idea only just came to me, but you could in theory get away with using a Primeval Nick Cutter for a 'Highlanders' Ben—with his overshirt buttoned up. Still not ideal, but I think I prefer it to the idea of using a Jack.

Would it not be possible to make a passable 'MACRA TERROR' Ben from Rory Williams, in his maroon shirt/tan slacks? The outfit is basically the same, it'd just need a new head sculpt?
Nah I'm fairly sure u cant remove the bodywarmer

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:06 pm
dorkjackson wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 am
GSD wrote:

Nah I'm fairly sure u cant remove the bodywarmer
Not even in the moulding process? Damn, that's so annoying; a generic 'shirt' body could be equally as useful as the generic military jumpsuit and generic men's suit bodies! I'd love a Ben and Polly too! :-(

Koth2

Post by Koth2 »

The back of the shirt is molded to the jacket.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

A few generic moulds could go a long way tbh. Obviously I know the budget can't accommodate that but I think it could make a difference