USA Toy stock now available

Theta Sigma

Re: USA Toy stock now available

Post by Theta Sigma »

vitodim wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:34 pm
I don't know this for a fact, but I have seen posts that seem to imply that CO is setting the prices and US distributors can't charge a lower price even if they want to.
Can you cite those?

I ask, because it strikes me as odd that CO would set prices inclusive of Amazon's shipping costs within the USA. Setting a wholesale price? Sure, I could see that. However, what a retailer incurs for shipping varies regionally, and the USA prices look pretty rounded. Accurate S&H costs upon a set price would likely give a very unround price per item. And again, of course, with each individual item being inclusive of separate shipping costs, when shipped together they will reap a higher profit from excess shipping charges what with no discount provided. That doesn't strike me as something CO would insist upon.

This was why I was holding out hope that when the BDWN site was updated, the set prices might fall, or a promo code be listed; at least for a multiple item purchase. I see some of us have jumped that gun and just placed orders, but as anxiety-ridden postponing a decision is, I feel like I can't commit until their site is updated. Only then, can I feel more assured of their intentions.

Of course, the prices may fall subsequently, as they do in B&M, but that's for altogether different reasons, and one cannot guarantee securing the sets in that circumstance. With the US distributor probably not getting anywhere near the same quantities, it's definitely a fraught decision. I wish they made it easier to support the USA distribution channel. Really, the first we should have heard there was such a channel, was a posting of the new wave in Diamond's Previews. Sadly, things have not gone that way here.

Well, let's see if the site updates soon...before I have no hair left at all. Image
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Well, based on your amazon scouting I put in a preorder. I may cancel it if WhoNA gives me some solid dates for when they're getting their product in.

Interestingly enough, the 2nd Dalek pack isn't listed yet.

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 pm
Well, based on your amazon scouting I put in a preorder. I may cancel it if WhoNA gives me some solid dates for when they're getting their product in.
https://www.whona.com/5-Friends-and-Foe ... _8078.html

That might answer the question of whether they are going through GOGS1 or not, as Amazon has yet to have stock. Not seeing the others, though.
skifflebits wrote:
Interestingly enough, the 2nd Dalek pack isn't listed yet.
I wonder if CO is holding back the 2nd Dalek set as a punishment to GOGS1 for loose lips. Yeah, that's over-thinking things...maybe. ;)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Theta Sigma wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 pm
skifflebits wrote:

That might answer the question of whether they are going through GOGS1 or not, as Amazon has yet to have stock. Not seeing the others, though
If the post WhoNA has in their forum is correct, then they had 25 AND cleared through 25 of the "Companions of the 4th Doctor" set already and still have the 13th set. Based on its Amazon US ranking (#271 out of all figures; Closest other set is the UNIT set in the 400s), I'd grab the Companions set in the US when you can. If WhoNA did post and blow through 25 (I'm assuming; They said they had it but it's no longer in their store listing) and it's selling that quickly, it's potentially great news for future Classic Series companions....but maybe not the set to sleep on getting. ;)

Also, the 13th Doctor now has correct blue top images on the listing.

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 pm
Theta Sigma wrote:
skifflebits wrote:

That might answer the question of whether they are going through GOGS1 or not, as Amazon has yet to have stock. Not seeing the others, though
If the post WhoNA has in their forum is correct, then they had 25 AND cleared through 25 of the "Companions of the 4th Doctor" set already and still have the 13th set. Based on its Amazon US ranking (#271 out of all figures; Closest other set is the UNIT set in the 400s), I'd grab the Companions set in the US when you can. If WhoNA did post and blow through 25 (I'm assuming; They said they had it but it's no longer in their store listing) and it's selling that quickly, it's potentially great news for future Classic Series companions....but maybe not the set to sleep on getting. ;)

This was the link you referred to:
https://www.whona.com/5-Companions-of-t ... _8079.html

Hmm, WhoNA charges $7 on top for shipping vs Amazon which includes it (and is cheaper to begin with). I'm glad WhoNA is a source, though.

Spannerintheworks

Theta Sigma wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 am
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 pm
Theta Sigma wrote:

This was the link you referred to:
https://www.whona.com/5-Companions-of-t ... _8079.html

Hmm, WhoNA charges $7 on top for shipping vs Amazon which includes it (and is cheaper to begin with). I'm glad WhoNA is a source, though.
Yeah, I like WhoNA and certainly have supported them. But their markup on the B&M sets has been pretty rough. (Big Finish Sets were $60, $80 for the TARDIS sets on top of shipping)

I suppose, as a small business, if you want to support them as well as get the sets (and have problems with Amazon, as I know many do) it's a great option. I've already spent a great amount of money at WhoNA though and likely will continue to (if I want Jelly Babies, they've got me! ;) ), but I'm not sure they'll be where I grab the sets.

But yeah, looks like 25 Companion sets flew out the door for them in a matter of hours. Great! Good for them, and looks like other TARDIS teams stand a chance in the future. :)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I saw on twitter that captain jimipie has the US exclusive blue top Jodie.

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:48 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MmMOEB3zpc

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Theta Sigma wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:34 am
Deborah J wrote:
Seems decent enough, I suppose.

Man, by the time Jodie's run is over, the only thing that will have ever changed in her costume is the color of that t-shirt.

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm
Theta Sigma wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:34 am
Deborah J wrote:
Seems decent enough, I suppose.

Man, by the time Jodie's run is over, the only thing that will have ever changed in her costume is the color of that t-shirt.
After Smith and Capaldi changed wardrobes as frequently as Pertwee or Baker, that at least has to be cause for a bit of easier breathing at the Character Options office. ;)

Even though for me it summons Nathan-Turner flashbacks. At least Graham, Yaz, and Ryan bother to do their laundry. :lol: