USA Toy stock now available

skifflebits

Re: USA Toy stock now available

Post by skifflebits »

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. And I hope it's down to some growing pains, too.

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

Once they're posted, and at what price, we'll see what the lay of the land truly is. No matter what has been said up until now, we can't definitively lay the blame (if there is any to lay) squarely on anyone until that time.
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

So all the USA lines are now live guys ... spread the word to the GB folks as well

al

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:13 pm
So all the USA lines are now live guys ... spread the word to the GB folks as well

al
Thanks, Lurk!

Though it seems the "buy now" links on www.buydoctorwhonow.com are still not connected.

UPDATE: Even trying to search for "Doctor Who" under "toys & games" on Amazon doesn't yield results. It just bumps back to a generic Doctor Who product search. Something weird is going on.

UPDATE UPDATE: OK, so I can at least do a "toys & games" search from the app, even if I can't do it from the website, but still no sign of the new stuff.

BeepTheMeep

Post by BeepTheMeep »

Looks like nothing has changed on any of the US websites to me. None of the Buy it Now links work yet.

Not sure why I am still checking... a habit I guess.

I've decided not to buy these releases. These US release shenanigans have been the catalyst for me to decide to stop collecting altogether, to be honest. The prices set in the US, the fact that the anti-human company Amazon is involved... I dunno, it isn't feeling good to me anymore.

I know I am not alone in this feeling.

IMHO it would have been better to support a small company like Whona or whomever, someone who actually loves the show, and isn't trying to leave the world as Sutekh would. I would be more ok with paying too much to Whona than Jeff Bezos.

I'm also just not as besotted with the figures as I was with them about 10 years ago (although the cad designed heads are great). This is probably just me.

I dunno... I have enough plastic I guess. Or maybe I need to square my actions with the state of the world for a moment. Or maybe it is actually just me. It is just time to move on.

I am feeling like I got a lot of joy from all this collecting over the last decade though, which I am thankful for, and must acknowledge that there is a benefit to humanity to facilitating joy even if it is with Chinese plastic distributed by a megalomaniac. I know it sounds weird, but collecting CO figures got me through a difficult time in my life. It really did. Hope everyone else gets profound joy from these releases and CO go on to be a success in all they do.

Caveat: If a voc robot with a lazerson probe in it's head is released I will be revising my position!!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

BeepTheMeep wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:56 pm
IMHO it would have been better to support a small company like Whona or whomever, someone who actually loves the show, and isn't trying to leave the world as Sutekh would. I would be more ok with paying too much to Whona than Jeff Bezos.
FWIW:

From what Mike's Comics said, there is a new distributor who is offering the toys to retailers besides Amazon.

It sounds like Amazon won't be your only option if you're willing to wait.

BeepTheMeep

Post by BeepTheMeep »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:58 pm
BeepTheMeep wrote:
FWIW:

From what Mike's Comics said, there is a new distributor who is offering the toys to retailers besides Amazon.

Yes, I know, and I could have friends and family back in the UK just send them to me, which would be a lot cheaper. Just the fact that the US rollout has gone the way it has, and that a deal with Amazon has been done at all, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, this is a niche market, do we need amazon at all? I suspect the amount of sets sold in the USA would have been the same with or without Dr. Evil.

This could have been an opportunity to support small business in a time of crisis... but I feel like what we are seeing is an extermination of a whole strata of small enterprise and consolidation of wealth and power at the top. I just don't want to play this awful late-stage capitalism game anymore, and that means minimising my consumption.

But again, I think it is just me mostly (with the additional stress that the end of the world among plague and burning forests doth provoke). It is just where I am at, personally, in myself. CO should be commended for putting out so many new figures with what I assume are dwindling resources compared to ten years ago. It is amazing we have a Sarah, Romana... a Benton!

I will continue look at the pictures online with glee, am just not going to buy them (unless it is a voc robot with a laserson probe).

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:36 pm
Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:13 pm

al
Thanks, Lurk!

Though it seems the "buy now" links on www.buydoctorwhonow.com are still not connected.

UPDATE: Even trying to search for "Doctor Who" under "toys & games" on Amazon doesn't yield results. It just bumps back to a generic Doctor Who product search. Something weird is going on.

UPDATE UPDATE: OK, so I can at least do a "toys & games" search from the app, even if I can't do it from the website, but still no sign of the new stuff.
Yeah, if they're going live today, then it'll be worth checking back but as of now, same.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

BeepTheMeep wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:25 pm
skifflebits wrote:
BeepTheMeep wrote:
FWIW:

Yes, I know, and I could have friends and family back in the UK just send them to me, which would be a lot cheaper. Just the fact that the US rollout has gone the way it has, and that a deal with Amazon has been done at all, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, this is a niche market, do we need amazon at all? I suspect the amount of sets sold in the USA would have been the same with or without Dr. Evil.

This could have been an opportunity to support small business in a time of crisis... but I feel like what we are seeing is an extermination of a whole strata of small enterprise and consolidation of wealth and power at the top. I just don't want to play this awful late-stage capitalism game anymore, and that means minimising my consumption.

But again, I think it is just me mostly (with the additional stress that the end of the world among plague and burning forests doth provoke). It is just where I am at, personally, in myself. CO should be commended for putting out so many new figures with what I assume are dwindling resources compared to ten years ago. It is amazing we have a Sarah, Romana... a Benton!

I will continue look at the pictures online with glee, am just not going to buy them (unless it is a voc robot with a laserson probe).
Yeah, I can relate.

Ironic, of course, since years ago we were complaining that you couldn't get them on Amazon. :) (Well, at least I was.)

And... here's the thing... I'm pretty sure they not *not* supporting small business. It sounds like the distributor is making the stuff available to other retailers. They just might not be doing a particularly good job of it.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
BeepTheMeep wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:25 pm
skifflebits wrote:

FWIW:

Yeah, I can relate.

Ironic, of course, since years ago we were complaining that you couldn't get them on Amazon. :) (Well, at least I was.)

And... here's the thing... I'm pretty sure they not *not* supporting small business. It sounds like the distributor is making the stuff available to other retailers. They just might not be doing a particularly good job of it.
Yeah honestly ANY improvement in communication, public relations, and customer communication would do wonders here. They need their own Al stat.