The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Kaldor

The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Kaldor »

I’ve been seeing a lot of questions for our resident lurker over the last few days, and I know he’s not online as often as some of us are- so I thought I’d compile a little thread so that they’re all in one place!
To clarify- anyone can answer or contribute, but the main purpose is for our Bob to answer!
Kaldor wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:22 pm
Kaldor wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:12 pm
I feel defeated on your behalf, Al.
The first leak must have really gutted you, but now a second leak? And with the same people who revealed the contents of the first wave of the sets supposedly revealing the second load of variants... man. It’s a real sucker punch.
That said, it’s such a wholly fantastic reaction in a way, that everyone is still happy with the sets and that people are hyped and excited again.
Which gets me thinking.

Would there truly be no open doorway to a future where you put out say... 6 sets, and people can choose 3 sets, for example?
Say you came to us and said “look, we’ll be honest and open you guys up the process this year, as you’re the customers. We can produce 3 sets, but we’ve mocked up 6 sets to give you guys the choice. Characters can’t be swapped around in the sets, and decisions are final, with items and accessories and sculpts subject to change. You can have (I’m just spitballing):
• Historical Friends of the Doctor
1X Agatha Christie
1X Charles Dickens
1X William Shakespeare

• Companions of the 8th Doctor set
1X Molly O’Sullivan (using Novice Hame base)
1X Lucie Miller (using Primeval base)
1X Kroton

• UNIT through the Ages set
1X Liz Shaw (using Jo Grant bod)
1X Older Brigadier (w/greying hair and wrinkles)
1X Martha Jones in Combats

• The Tenth Planet set
1X Polly (Jo Grant bod)
1X Ben (using Mickey bod)
1X The 1st Doctor (using Hartnell bod with new Bradley head)

• Wheel in Space set
1X The 2nd Doctor
1X Zoe (using Martha Jones bod)
1X WiS Cyberman (with new Head)

• Friends and Foe of the 4th Doctor set
1X Sarah Jane from Ark in space (using Martha Jones bod)
1X Raston Warrior Robot (using generic male body like Acon Male/Sharaz Jek bod)
1X Romana 1 from Power of Kroll (using Silurian general restac bod)

• The Empty Child set
1X Empty Child
1X Gas Mask soldier (using Captain Jack bod)
1X Doctor Constantine w/ swappable head and cane (always useful for customs!)

• Genesis of the Daleks set
1 X Nyder (using new wrap on 12th Doctor instead of coat? Or maybe Generic male body like Axon or Sharaz Jek)
1X Gas Mask soldier w/ primeval gun (painted in Camo, using captain jack bod, rescuing Gas Mask soldier from Empty Child)
Now, pick 3, or put it to a vote.
1X Sarah Jane (rereleased with different or more specific paint apps like Brig was rereleased for Axos UNIT 1971 set)

The winners get commissioned, and the others can be filtered down into next years potential sets. This way, releases can be sure to be sold (not that there’s any doubt), and people can think ahead with money and know what’s coming and be more excited about it. Don’t get me wrong, I like the surprise, but now I know what’s coming, I’m even more hyped than if I didn’t know what the interim wave was going to be.
Furthermore, we can see what sculpts are going where, so we know we could help you guys out in a way by picking two sets that re-use a similar body (like the Sarah Jane Ark in Space and Zoe from Wheel in Space) like with Yaz/Romana 1 this year! Keeping production costs down and profits higher for you guys!
Bumped, as a question for Lurker!
Last edited by Kaldor on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaldor

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Kaldor »

TheOnComingStorm wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:17 am
A question for Al...

With regards to Rose Tyler figures. Assuming you are able to keep rereleasing the existing Rose figures, would you be able to do new plastic wraps on the existing Rose figures? Or does this mean needing approval from Billie. How would a repaint work? Would you need permission to say re-release the disco dancing Rose, but in a red jacket and black trousers. Or the New Earth Rose with a new plastic wrap t-shirt? Is Rose off limits? Thank you!

Emperor Omega

Post by Emperor Omega »

A question for Bob Lurker.

Due to the recent B&M Sets released based on sets from 60's era Doctor who, could this possibly lead to more prominent characters of that era?

In particular, one companion from that era who also cropped up twice in the 1980's. Both in the 20th Anniversary Special & Colin's first Season.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Y'know, I do wanna ask something, and I'll keep it light. No potential future spoilers here.

Some of us have joked about this with Harrison Chase, Pigbin Josh,....: What's the one character you'd have loved to have put in the 5" scale, even though you knew it'd at best be a deep cut (and at worst seriously pegwarmed ;) )?

Kaldor

Post by Kaldor »

Another question, this one probably a little easier than any of the others...
Will the blue top 13 have a UK release, or do we have to sell our kidneys to afford it via amazon US?
Whilst I’m not a fan of this era or Whittaker in the slightest, I am a fan of the figures, so it’s important to me to support the line!

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

I dont want to answer questions relating to possible future variants as it could lead to so many issues .. id rather answer

why did you
what would you like etc ..

keeps it nice and clean and clear that way ... So to the Question what figure id have like to put in i have a top 3....

1/ Ogron! .... always loved them and they'd be blooming huge!
2/ Candyman
3/ Wiirn Noah with interchangeable arm and head parts ...

Lurker at the Edge

Blue Top 13th is absolutely a USA exclusive so prep for surgery ... Stat!!!!

Lurker at the Edge

You guys can speculate cogitate and predict/wish for as much as you want but im not going to comment on any of that as its perfectly feasible as happened this year that the infinite monkey cage scenario arises and at some point someone is bound to hit on something thats either planned or already in the works so i prefer not to get involved at all thanks...

also frankly this year its somehow conspired to rain on my 'Big Surprise' parade twice in regards to the new releases so im saying nothing as it took the wind out the sails i will admit when that all happened ...

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

How about why did the series 2 rose end up with the non articulated arms? Was it for appearance reasons as I have always suspected?
On a related note which you might not be able to answer could the pvc shirt on it be replaced? I’ve thought for a while if so it could be used to get a girl in the fireplace T-shirt version as the sleeves would match.

Lurker at the Edge

Rose 2 - Actually she ended up with non articulated arms for two reasons .. we were still kind of finding our feet articulation wise but yes it was purely down to aesthetics and putting in wrist and arm articulation on such a slim arm would have made it look very 'gammy' so we decided not to.

The PVC parts are very tricky .. if they are loosely glued in they can be removed sometimes but ive had samples where they ripped or could not fully be removed and there are inserts to hold them in place even when not glued ... personally id never attempt a swap as there are too many variables and inevitable customisation compromises the figure in some way ...