The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Uncle_Abe
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Dalekoddjob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:05 am
All the people complaining about postge is amusing me. Of course its 1p under for one set, so CO don't have to pay for postage you do!
I don't mind paying for postage, as you say it's to be expected. I'd much rather pay for postage than do the great B&M hunt. I wasn't complaining about paying postage, just saying that it doesn't make sense to force people to buy extra stuff they don't want just so they can give less money to CO. CO surely loses out in that scenario because they take less money, post double the number of items at their expense, and they end up with fewer items in stock to sell. Not to mention the fact that they'll have no idea how popular certain products really are.

The conversation at CO will be: "These Peppa Pig single figures are selling really well, in fact we've almost sold out, we'd better make some more!"
When in fact, if they just reduced the cost of postage by £1 they'd take exactly the same amount of money and they wouldn't have incurred the added cost of producing and sending out all those Peppa Pig figures.

Dalekoddjob
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 8:10 am

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Dalekoddjob »

Uncle_Abe wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:51 am
Dalekoddjob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:05 am
All the people complaining about postge is amusing me. Of course its 1p under for one set, so CO don't have to pay for postage you do!
I don't mind paying for postage, as you say it's to be expected. I'd much rather pay for postage than do the great B&M hunt. I wasn't complaining about paying postage, just saying that it doesn't make sense to force people to buy extra stuff they don't want just so they can give less money to CO. CO surely loses out in that scenario because they take less money, post double the number of items at their expense, and they end up with fewer items in stock to sell. Not to mention the fact that they'll have no idea how popular certain products really are.

The conversation at CO will be: "These Peppa Pig single figures are selling really well, in fact we've almost sold out, we'd better make some more!"
When in fact, if they just reduced the cost of postage by £1 they'd take exactly the same amount of money and they wouldn't have incurred the added cost of producing and sending out all those Peppa Pig figures.
I suspect you will find a very small number of people can actually be bothered to buy a Peppa Pig to get round postage. And selling twice as many Dalek sets with free postage works. say post is £4.50 for sake of argument then if 1 item was £25, CO gets £20.50. If two Dalek sets are bought then they lose £2.25 per item. Perfect for them.

User avatar
Theta Sigma
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 am

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Theta Sigma »

Deborah J wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 am
Theta Sigma wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:56 am
vitodim wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:40 am
Years ago, I was in a TRU in the US and they had an entire display of SWDs on clearance. I think they were $5 each. I thought, "Maybe I should buy all of these because they might be worth something some day." I did not do that :(
I know your pain. I once ordered a copy of the NA Dying Days, and when it came to the bookstore, handed it back asking they order another copy as this one had a slight dog eares corner when it came.

I know I'll reflect on this in my final moments, as will you those SWDs. :)
but... didn't you get th next copy they ordered in?
Never came. That was the last copy to be sent out. As I said, a decision I regret to this day.
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

User avatar
skifflebits
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by skifflebits »

Uncle_Abe wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:49 pm
Surely, it'd be better for CO to set shipping costs at less than the price of the cheapest item on the website to stop this, or CO will be losing money and be out of stock of all the cheap Postman Pat and Peppa Pig single figures when genuine customers want to buy them...
I'm sure CO has set the margin way above the production costs, so losing money isn't really a risk.

In fact, the margin on the wholesale price has to be above production costs, and they're selling these at the (higher) retail price, so their per-unit profit is larger on these. (Fulfillment costs aside.)

Free shipping probably isn't hurting them. Even with a run on Postman Pat figures. :)
Image

User avatar
Bundesrat
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Bundesrat »

Back to the questions - given we just saw the ‘jungle’ Daleks for a few seconds in The Chase, (and ignoring the costs associated with doing it) would CO be permitted to issue a newly regenerated War Doctor based on the quick glimpse we saw in The Night of the Doctor?

On the subject of regenerations, was any consideration ever given to issuing a newly regenerated 8th Doctor in hospital gowns?
Image

Koth2
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Koth2 »

You mean a young head? Id love a Seasons of War outfit. If you havent seen it check it out on YT.

User avatar
Bundesrat
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Bundesrat »

Koth2 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:15 pm
You mean a young head? Id love a Seasons of War outfit. If you havent seen it check it out on YT.
Yes, young head.

Will take a look at YT.
Image

Kaldor
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Kaldor »

Bundesrat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:52 pm
Back to the questions - given we just saw the ‘jungle’ Daleks for a few seconds in The Chase, (and ignoring the costs associated with doing it) would CO be permitted to issue a newly regenerated War Doctor based on the quick glimpse we saw in The Night of the Doctor?

On the subject of regenerations, was any consideration ever given to issuing a newly regenerated 8th Doctor in hospital gowns?
I envision a glowy eyed eighth Doctor with TV Movie head on a sort of Chip-like body now. Would be a cool sort of figure. :lol:

TheOnComingStorm
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Some questions for Al (AKA...God of Dr Who Figures!)

What was the reasoning behind the Krillitanes being released with open and closed mouths?

Would you ever go back to a Series 1-12 (for new who) packaging with the series number as a label?

Who gets to choose which outfit a companion figure gets as a figure? Is it you or the BBC?

Was it the Mickey Smith figure who inspired the upper arm articulation for all figures that were released after it?

Also, I wanted you to know that I love the Slitheen figure and have an army of 10! It would be awesome to one day get a Slitheen with closed mouth!

Thank you!!

Lurker at the Edge
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:06 pm

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Some questions for Al (AKA...God of Dr Who Figures!)
Al - please dont say that .. there is a massive amount of people involved in these .. it takes everyone to m,asker it happen. also some stuff on line seems to indicate I’m somehow in charge .. not the case i simple am Creative Director for the company with an unhealthy interest in Dr Who

What was the reasoning behind the Krillitanes being released with open and closed mouths?
Al - Simply to get variants made for little extra cost

Would you ever go back to a Series 1-12 (for new who) packaging with the series number as a label?
Al - no .. all the packaging was done in a moment in time .. it evolves and changes so no I’d not change anything ..

Who gets to choose which outfit a companion figure gets as a figure? Is it you or the BBC?
Al - Me initially but it then has to be approved with the BBC creative team and they often have counter suggestions ... usually very good ones. Nowadays almost every figure is a partial one so its a case off agreeing on the base figure to use as they are compromises for sure.


Was it the Mickey Smith figure who inspired the upper arm articulation for all figures that were released after it?
Al - no again it evolved because one figure probably required it and then it becomes the norm etc ...

Also, I wanted you to know that I love the Slitheen figure and have an army of 10! It would be awesome to one day get a Slitheen with closed mouth!
Al - Me too .. they get short shrift from fans these days but the Slitheen were pretty cool .. i think the farting and the idea of the compression field diminished their scare factor a lot .. it was a cool First reveal but then it kind of hobbled them going forwards ...

Thank you!!

Post Reply