The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Theta Sigma

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Theta Sigma »

Hi Al,

I know you won't look at folks' custom figures, but many here and elsewhere DO post pics of their trying to help you find previous CO releases with bodies/parts to use for other characters that could be done. Do you at least view those?

I've seen a few that seem to fulfill figure requirements, but which I've not seen you offer...yet. ;)
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

As ive said i avoid if at all possible ..for many reasons ..

Al

For Luck's Sake

Post by For Luck's Sake »

Bundesrat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 pm
Question for the Lurker

Hi Al

I don’t know the history of CO and your time with them. I’m assuming CO existed before the Doctor Who range, so my question is essentially how did the Doctor Who range come about? Was it always an opportunity CO would have taken, or was your obvious love of the show instrumental in taking the company in that direction? What was the expectation for the range - was Doctor Who seen as a gamble with maybe the revival and associated figure sales being a relatively short lived thing, or was there a strong feeling that both the show and the figure range would be as big and long lasting as it turned out? Were the rights to issue figures from classic season always part of the CO plan - would you have gone ahead if it was new series stuff only?
I would like to add to Bundesrat's question with a similar query to Al:

Did you ever expect the Doctor Who figure line to run for so long?

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Q - I’ve got a question, I did ask before but I think it got lost in the mix. How comes the improved sculpt Dalek Sec has never seen a UK release? It’s been released a couple of times in the US, but never here. It’s a gap in my collection I really hope we can fill one day
A - Well when we cruise into History of the Daleks Set number X .. lol .. we should start seeing that version appear. It was part of an exclusive USA wave is all.

A two part question. (Or two one-part questions?)
Q - What's the probability of new monster figures in the foreseeable future that aren't either Daleks or mods of existing figures like the Judoon? The 70s get the most toy-love (for obvious reasons) but is there any chance we might see some new (non-Dalek) figures from the 60s or 80s any time soon?
A - We are always looking and you know I like to mix things up so we will always try and give you guys something new and surprising from time to time ..

Q - Whilst we are all loving the companions being released (And I would love to say thanks for all the work you and your team have put in to continue the line), we'd all love some new monsters to be released. Whilst the budget is not there for new figure sculpts and molds, what about something like Metebelis spiders? They wouldn't need articulation, but is something like this out of the realms at present? What about accessories such as a Key to Time piece for example? What about using existing figure sculpts but using them for something like Carnival Autons, Meglos or Primords?
A - As above .. always looking but you'll appreciate i cannot to say anything about upcoming plans. I think you know two things by now ... we try our best and we can say nothing.
A - Also Metabelis Spiders ... love Boris ... love the spiders but the Primeval ones are not the right look in any way .. and I think to do the Spiders justice would require several really nice spiders and a bunch of accessories to go with them...carpet bag, crystal ...

Q - I don’t know the history of CO and your time with them. I’m assuming CO existed before the Doctor Who range, so my question is essentially how did the Doctor Who range come about? Was it always an opportunity CO would have taken, or was your obvious love of the show instrumental in taking the company in that direction? What was the expectation for the range - was Doctor Who seen as a gamble with maybe the revival and associated figure sales being a relatively short lived thing, or was there a strong feeling that both the show and the figure range would be as big and long lasting as it turned out? Were the rights to issue figures from classic season always part of the CO plan - would you have gone ahead if it was new series stuff only?
A - We were part of a pitching process where we submitted a proposal for the Toy line .. then a BBC WW representative came in to discuss it with us and I just happened to mention I actually had (at that time) a Police Box at the bottom of my garden ... I think that may have tipped the balance. It was always seen as a long term option assuming the Series did well .. The Classic line was a natural extension of the range and opportunity.

Q - Also, did you have much advance notice of the departure of Christopher Eccleston enabling you to plan ahead, or were you like the rest of us assuming he’d be going into Season 2 so you were not expecting needing a whole new figure?
A - No .. we actually found out the Day he appeared on the Jonathan Ross show with some of the new Toys and announced he was leaving ... I was in the audience at the time! Lol ... A great shame as he was and still is a superb Doctor and I cant wait to hear his new Big finish audios ... He will be Fantastic! ...

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Thank you again Al! I'd actually been wondering about Eccleston/his leaving announcement/Character myself...

I think this got lost a few pages back, so here goes:

Question for the Lurker

Looking back at the Classic Series releases, is there ever 1 (or 2) that stand out to you as "I wish I would've done that a different way"? An outfit choice, an accessory not included, or a different facial look for example?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:39 pm
A two part question. (Or two one-part questions?)
Q - What's the probability of new monster figures in the foreseeable future that aren't either Daleks or mods of existing figures like the Judoon? The 70s get the most toy-love (for obvious reasons) but is there any chance we might see some new (non-Dalek) figures from the 60s or 80s any time soon?
A - We are always looking and you know I like to mix things up so we will always try and give you guys something new and surprising from time to time ..
Thanks, Terrestrial Toymaker!

I've been surprised so much this year already, so I'm looking forward to new surprises...

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

Thanks for the answer al!

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 »

Wholords2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 pm
I have a question!

Is the Rani a character you would eventually like to do a figure of and if so, which costume would you choose
Bringing this question back because Al didn’t notice it aha
Insta-@wholords2
Twitter-@wholords2

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over a decade

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Wholords2 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:35 pm
Wholords2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 pm
I have a question!

Is the Rani a character you would eventually like to do a figure of and if so, which costume would you choose
Bringing this question back because Al didn’t notice it aha
I like to think Al misses nothing and when he does not answer a question it is intentional and he is giving us the nod without breaking any embargo of what is coming down the line - so 100% we are getting a Rani figure.

It will be a ‘Mark of The Rani’ twin pack with the classic look Ainley Master - right Al? (PLEASE DON’T ANSWER!!!!!!!!)

TV8

Post by TV8 »

Bundesrat wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 pm
I like to think Al misses nothing and when he does not answer a question it is intentional and he is giving us the nod without breaking any embargo of what is coming down the line
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under.