The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Frax Owen

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Frax Owen »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm
i watched The Sensorites the other day as well ... its bit of a slow mover and Big Finish did a great audio with them ... But there's something just fabulous about those early stories and you don't have to draw a very long line to get from the Sensorites in 63 to Star Treks Talosians in the Cage with their telepathic powers in 65 .... Hmmm someone get me the copyright department!
It is indeed a slow mover but i've always enjoyed it, ever since i got that first doctor VHS 3 pack. For some odd reason this time i found myself watching one episode after the other haha. That first sight we get of a Sensorite through the spaceship port hole is genuinely quite creepy!
I've never listened to the Big Finish episode so I must look that one up :)
You're probably right that that copyright issue ;) i've never noticed the similarities but now you mention them it's very obvious haha

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm
i watched The Sensorites the other day as well ... its bit of a slow mover and Big Finish did a great audio with them ... But there's something just fabulous about those early stories and you don't have to draw a very long line to get from the Sensorites in 63 to Star Treks Talosians in the Cage with their telepathic powers in 65 .... Hmmm someone get me the copyright department!
As with the vast majority of Classic Who stories; it's the runtime that's their biggest albatross. 6 episodes was just too long for this story (though I love Season 7 and there are some stories that can handle the 6/7 episode length) but the core material/story there is solid and fun.

It's Doctor Who's first "odd looking aliens aren't automatically villains" story way before Galaxy 4. The Sensorites look great and whilst the circular feet is definitely a bit out there as a choice items refreshing to see a bit more full on 'alien' stuff compared to say the Tritovores from Planet of the Dead who are literally just a fly head stuck on a standard human body. The 60s had such wonderful imagination and freedom from restraint!

(Lovely to see you back btw Al, you light of our lives!)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

The sensorites as a creature are great, there's a few really good one off alien races in Hartnell's run and my favourite is between them and the monoids, I just really like that creativity of them. The cliffhanger to sensorites part 1, with the sensorite at the window of the spaceship, is seriously creepy

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Happily contributing to the Sensorites love:

They are a GREAT design, and the story's pace is just a symptom of drama conventions at the time.

A key part of that story that never ceases to attract me: It, along with "The Keys of Marinus", is one of the 2 points where the Doctor transforms from "Wily Old Man with a Time Machine" to "The Doctor, Chief Protagonist of Doctor Who":

In "Keys" he starts the story much as we've seen him previous; Equally trying to come to grips/survive/Get the crew and TARDIS to the next destination. Suddenly when Ian is accused of murder he swoops in, assumes control, and announces he is the Defense Attorney with an assuredness and gusto that you could see 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12....almost any Doctor assuming. Previously he probably would've been working with Barbara and Susan, now he's directing them and assuming authority in an alien world's matters on Ian's behalf.

But more critical is "The Sensorites" - Previously resolving a conflict that prevented total crew access to the TARDIS meant they could leave. They had no reason to stay. But the Doctor is compelled to solve the Sensorites' water supply mystery for no selfish or self serving reason. In other later stories, something like the water supply would be the sole plot presented to resolve.

Obviously in season 1 "An Unearthly Child" and "The Daleks" will always be more celebrated for clear reasons. But "The Doctor" as known now really starts showing up from "The Sensorites" onward.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:15 pm
The sensorites as a creature are great, there's a few really good one off alien races in Hartnell's run and my favourite is between them and the monoids, I just really like that creativity of them. The cliffhanger to sensorites part 1, with the sensorite at the window of the spaceship, is seriously creepy
Monoids are absolutely brilliant and I will die on this hill.

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

The Sensorites is my favourite Hartnell story, no contest. Like you all said, the episode 1 cliffhanger is really creepy, and when Ian gets poisoned- I was on edge.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

QUESTION FOR THE LURKER:

Favorite Hartnell era monster?

And while we're at it...

Favorite Troughton era monster?

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:12 pm
QUESTION FOR THE LURKER:

Favorite Hartnell era monster?

And while we're at it...

Favorite Troughton era monster?
Well... ignoring the Daleks (who had both their some of their best designs and arguably some of their strongest stories with Hartnell) and the cybermen (“——”)... hmm.
It’s a tricky one.
Well, The Voord weren’t bad.

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Ha funnily enough i was sent a picture last week by a mate from a comic strip of a Voord attacking a Dalek .... only comics could pit the bad guys in rubber suits and flippers armed with pocket knives against the might of the Daleks! ...

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:22 pm
Ha funnily enough i was sent a picture last week by a mate from a comic strip of a Voord attacking a Dalek .... only comics could pit the bad guys in rubber suits and flippers armed with pocket knives against the might of the Daleks! ...
Who won?