The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Theta Sigma

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Theta Sigma »

Wholords2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 pm
I have a question!

Is the Rani a character you would eventually like to do a figure of and if so, which costume would you choose
I'd buy a set of Ranis. Obviously, doing a Mel one would allow for a Mel figure too, so two birds with one stone there.
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Theta Sigma wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:58 pm
Wholords2 wrote:
I have a question!

Is the Rani a character you would eventually like to do a figure of and if so, which costume would you choose
I'd buy a set of Ranis. Obviously, doing a Mel one would allow for a Mel figure too, so two birds with one stone there.
I will wager Kate O'Mara/her estate have a lot to do with the answer, which I'll also wager limits Al response. ;)

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:36 am
Theta Sigma wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:58 pm
Wholords2 wrote:
I have a question!

I will wager Kate O'Mara/her estate have a lot to do with the answer, which I'll also wager limits Al response. ;)
Damn. There's been reports of their resistance? I had thought the Baker estate might have been more of a holdup, but not by much.
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

Mastersclanger

Post by Mastersclanger »

Hello Al I've asked before but could you let me know what type of paint they use for the figures, thanks and well done on the new sets.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

Question for The Lurker

Hi Al.

We’ve had a few ‘didn’t see that coming’ moments of late - do you have an encyclopaedic like knowledge of Doctor Who outfits and instinctively know how existing figures could be used to make new figures/variants, or is there a lot hours spent trawling through images from the episodes and looking at images of existing figures to see what could be used.

Are there any classic era figures you know you could easily bring in within budget but are unlikely to as you would not think them popular enough to sell?

Are there any figures using existing parts you’d like to release, and know exactly how to do them, but can’t because the different parts do no fit together?

Finally, for a particular figure are there multiples copies of the moulds enabling a number of figures to be produced simultaneously, or is there just the one mould that is used for every instance of that figure?

I actually have one more question - did any Primeval figures re-use any parts of Doctor Who figures?

Thanks!

BoundryHopper

Post by BoundryHopper »

1 question: Does it give you a chuckle when you read the wild and extravagant rumours that people come up with about supposed forthcoming figures?

I find Occam's Razor usually applies. Some one see's a possibly leaked photo of maybe a Dalek sucker arm and suddenly you're 100% releasing the entire Dalek Empire in a box set with 6 foot tall emperor and 37 Daleks all with mutant reveals, interchangeable attachments, speech and remote control! And all for just £129.99!!! :lol: :lol: What actually comes out is a re-release of a Dead Plant Dalek, no tweaks or repaints and for £14.99. :D
:evil: #SAYNOTOSCALPERS :twisted:

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Questions for Mr. Lurk

1. How often do you get inspiration from ideas posted on forums like this?

2. Do you ever check ebay or trading forums to see what figures are selling for high prices to get a sense of the demand for a figure, character or era?

3. Have you ever been to the factory where they make the figures? If so, what's it like? If not, how much do you know about it? Do you just send the schematics and some money and eventually figures arrive or do you work closely with them throughout the production process?

Thanks!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I want to know if they have Oompa Loompas there.

Doctor who Oompa Loompas. Whoompa Loompas.

Uncle_Abe

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Deborah J wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:36 am
I want to know if they have Oompa Loompas there.

Doctor who Oompa Loompas. Whoompa Loompas.
Plot twist: it's been the Nestene Consciousness all along, and Al is actually made of plastic.

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

Q - How often do you get inspiration from ideas posted on forums like this?
A - Never as ive said before i avoid any customs and ideas being bandied about like the plague ..

Q - Do you ever check ebay or trading forums to see what figures are selling for high prices to get a sense of the demand for a figure, character or era?
A - no but i hear of stuff ... which is when we do a rerelease i try not to tread on the toes of previous editions that have become rare or valuable ...

Q - Have you ever been to the factory where they make the figures? If so, what's it like? If not, how much do you know about it? Do you just send the schematics and some money and eventually figures arrive or do you work closely with them throughout the production process?
A - of course .. Ive even shown the engineers how to adjust the deco .. its for want of a better word not as fun as you'd expect .. its basically a factory ... we see every step the process from concept to production

Q - We’ve had a few ‘didn’t see that coming’ moments of late - do you have an encyclopaedic like knowledge of Doctor Who outfits and instinctively know how existing figures could be used to make new figures/variants, or is there a lot hours spent trawling through images from the episodes and looking at images of existing figures to see what could be used.
A - i almost certainly know what feasible to change and get away with it ... sometimes you make assumptions that then turn out to be totally off ... or a figure you plan to make has missing or damaged tooling ..

Q - Are there any classic era figures you know you could easily bring in within budget but are unlikely to as you would not think them popular enough to sell?
A - Yes ... but im not saying which

Q - Are there any figures using existing parts you’d like to release, and know exactly how to do them, but can’t because the different parts do no fit together?
A - not really as thats pretty much what we do now .. its more a case of having a limited budget and still trying to do everything we do and surprise you guys into the bargain ...

Finally, for a particular figure are there multiples copies of the moulds enabling a number of figures to be produced simultaneously, or is there just the one mould that is used for every instance of that figure?
A - Not moulds .. well not really .. tools and there can be multiple tools for one figure .. for example the Classic Dalek has multiple part combination options

Q did any Primeval figures re-use any parts of Doctor Who figures?
A - lol! .. no ... interestingly though the scale of the Primeval figures is slightly larger than the Doctor Who ones ..