The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Bundesrat

Re: The “Questions for The Lurker” thread

Post by Bundesrat »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:33 pm
It’s not even on the radar if I’m honest. We know nothing about it currently and I doubt we would for a good while. It’s always nice to do something for an anniversary but with caution as they tend to be a moment in time and it’s not quite like a 25th or an50th ...
Yes, a 50th anniversary would definitely be something nice to commemorate............ :D

I am genuinely tingling whilst typing this thinking dreams may finally be coming true!!!

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Question for Al....

Would you ever consider bringing back Time Squad figures? In 2015 you relased a few new characters and I just think they are gorgeous! With the popularity or Pop Vinyls and Titan, there seems to be a market for animated, "cutesy" figures. It would be lovely to get a 13th Dr and a 9th Dr added to the mix. My 10, 11 and 12 would like a 9th Dr to join them! ;)

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:13 pm
“Threads” is obviously a reference to the brilliant film Threads, set and primarily filmed in Sheffield. What else was initially set in Sheffield? S.11, of course!

Now, we must think what 11 could signal- my personal theory is that it links to episode 11 of Who- “The Rescue”. This is part of the serial “The Mutants” (also “The Dead Planet”, “The Daleks”, etc.).

From here we must ask ourselves what this has to do with anything. “Have you just been making this up as you go along, DalekCheese?” I hear you ask. Well, the answer is a resounding no.

“The Mutants” is, as I am sure you’re all aware, also the title of the Pertwee story, in which the eponymous Mutants are known as mutts. A mutt, obviously, is a dog; and what else is a dog? K-9!

So, using a little elementary numerology, we may determine that K- the 11th letter of the alphabet (this number is the “check” on the previously potentially inaccurate guess at S.11)- is to have 9 subtracted from it, resulting in 2, or in letters, B; thus, we arrive at 2B (the change in number/letter order is due to “11”, in Roman Numerals, being written XI, whereas the swapped version is IX, or 9- ie. the previously mentioned K-9).

2B- clearly meant to be written “BB”- IS A PRODUCTION CODE!

The serial with the production code BB was “The War Machines”. This featured the exit of Dorothy “Dodo” Chaplet. Now we arrive at the crux of the problem, because “BB” isn’t just a production code, oh no! Our Lurker is far too clever for that!

No, “BB” is also an acronym- “BBC Book”. So, we must think of BBC books that feature exiting dodos- arriving, through some basic deduction, at the BBC book “The Last Dodo”. This starred the 10th Doctor.

We’re obviously getting another 10th Doctor.

Quite simple logic, really.
Can you pick my lottery numbers? PM only, please.
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

Chronotis

Post by Chronotis »

Thank you, Mr Lurker, for all the hints about what we are and aren't getting.

Quick question: I'm currently reorganizing my companion shelf. I like to display only one figure per actor.. Would I be wise to save space for some additional companions this year? :P
Last edited by Chronotis on Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Luck's Sake

Post by For Luck's Sake »

Question one: Tom Baker infamously showcased a CO classic figure of himself (part of the original 2008 wave) on 2008 appearance on Have I Got News For You. Were you aware he was going to do this? What was it like seeing your work proudly displayed on national television?

“Look! Interchangeable heads!”

“And if you don’t like your Tom Baker doll, just wait until it turns into a Sylvester McCoy doll……then you’ll really hate it.”

Second question: has there always been a conscious decision to try and keep a balance of releases for each doctor and flesh out each era? (ie, make sure there are 60s and 80s monsters, a companion for 5, 6, 7, etc)

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

There is nothing Tom Baker could do that i would not love .. i include him pushing me off a cliff in that! ...Hes the most wonderful man ive ever met and his era as the Doctor is the warmest fuzziest safest place in my memories .. i consider myself hugely lucky to have grown up in a world with his Doctor ..

The answer is that in terms of merchandise 3rd doctor onwards are always more popular than the 60s ones .. it think thats normal but there are some cracking 60’s monsters and there is a great feeling of unease generated by those older B&W serials that you dont get nowadays .. .the action may be a bit plodding and the effects not so good but they paved the way for so much of what we have today ... i try to spread the love as much as possible though I admit freely to being horribly biased towards the 70’s, and 80’s i think those decades were massively creative and more about the unlimited possibilities of an alien with a time machine who has the entire Universe and all of time to explore ...

i also think with most heroes, the more you know of them the more diminished they become .. thus I’m not a fan as you might understand of constantly re-delving into the programmes backstory again and again. So for me the 70’s and 80’s where it was a new monster, a new story or a new planet every week (TARDIS ARRIVES, Doctor saves the day, (almost) everybody dies... TARDIS leaves) were the pinnacle of Doctor Who ... you never knew where you were going to next! ... (but most likely a quarry!)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Tom Baker pushed me off a cliff once. I loved every minute of it!

QUESTION for MR. LURK: What older monster figures would you most like to see rereleased?

Cosmodipper

Post by Cosmodipper »

Al, once again you display you superlative taste 8-)
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:19 pm
There is nothing Tom Baker could do that i would not love .. i include him pushing me off a cliff in that! ...Hes the most wonderful man ive ever met and his era as the Doctor is the warmest fuzziest safest place in my memories .. i consider myself hugely lucky to have grown up in a world with his Doctor ..

The answer is that in terms of merchandise 3rd doctor onwards are always more popular than the 60s ones .. it think thats normal but there are some cracking 60’s monsters and there is a great feeling of unease generated by those older B&W serials that you dont get nowadays .. .the action may be a bit plodding and the effects not so good but they paved the way for so much of what we have today ... i try to spread the love as much as possible though I admit freely to being horribly biased towards the 70’s, and 80’s i think those decades were massively creative and more about the unlimited possibilities of an alien with a time machine who has the entire Universe and all of time to explore ...

i also think with most heroes, the more you know of them the more diminished they become .. thus I’m not a fan as you might understand of constantly re-delving into the programmes backstory again and again. So for me the 70’s and 80’s where it was a new monster, a new story or a new planet every week (TARDIS ARRIVES, Doctor saves the day, (almost) everybody dies... TARDIS leaves) were the pinnacle of Doctor Who ... you never knew where you were going to next! ... (but most likely a quarry!)

Jamie1D

Post by Jamie1D »

I'm a bit weird in that in that my first experience with Who was in 2003, just a few years before the show returned. So I had some exposure to classic Doctors before the revival. Obviously the 4th Doctor is brilliant, but my favourites are 2,7,11 and 12!

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 pm
Q - (of sorts) I'm counting down the days until we potentially get some incline to what's coming for 2021's releases. Does anyone know if we are to get a February wave like we did last year with the Pertwee Tardis??

A -You won't get anything February .. next releases are likely to be March/April

Maybe if we all pretend its March we can trick the Lurker into revealing some new info? Its not like anyone can actually remember what day it is anyway with having to stay at home all the time... :lol:

DrDoak

Post by DrDoak »

Hello Al Just a quick question I've seen the artwork of the new David Tennant Big Finish Audio Dramas and it looks absolutely fantastic, We got the Dalek and Doctor Sets in 2019 and I'm asking if Character and Big Finish would do a range of toys together based on their stories?? That would be an actual dream to see and thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks for everything you do for Doctor Who figures

Ashley 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀