Doctor Who Figure Wave Ideas

Deborah J

Re: Doctor Who Figure Wave Ideas

Post by Deborah J »

Jamie1D wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:29 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:59 am
My heart weeps for the wave that never was, when the range changed scale around the anniversary, and all the figures in the new scale I'd have bought in an instant, Purple coat doctor we at least got, though with a different coloured waistcoat, but proper clara, new ice warrior, new zygon, new cyberman, what a wave that would have been. Just imagine all those in a wave together, a dalek and a weeping angel in there too maybe, two doctor variants, it would have been such a nice wave, all good figures, after a couple of peg-warmer heavy ranges it is so tragic to me that the first really good selection of characters in ages came in a different range. The S8 ones weren't quite so inspired, though I'd have loved that mummy, but that first wave, if that had been in the 5" scale that would have been so amazing.
What makes me sad is the series 6 figures that we almost got. It was with series 6 waves that things began to tail off and at the time I really wanted a figure of the Minitour. So when I discovered that at one point they planned to have the Minotaur as a collect and build figure I was heartbroken!
I never knew that, that would have been a nice one to have had. We did get a reasonable selection from s6, things like the silence and the peg soldier were very nice, but there were a fair few that kind of seemed odd choices, two different options for spacesuit river, child or adult, uncle, doctor in straight jacket was a really weird one considering we didn't get him in his green coat. S5 I think was more peg-warmer heavy, but yeah, s6 did miss a few that would have been nice. I'd personally have liked a hand-bot from the girl who waited

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:44 pm
Jamie1D wrote:
Deborah J wrote:
My heart weeps for the wave that never was, when the range changed scale around the anniversary, and all the figures in the new scale I'd have bought in an instant, Purple coat doctor we at least got, though with a different coloured waistcoat, but proper clara, new ice warrior, new zygon, new cyberman, what a wave that would have been. Just imagine all those in a wave together, a dalek and a weeping angel in there too maybe, two doctor variants, it would have been such a nice wave, all good figures, after a couple of peg-warmer heavy ranges it is so tragic to me that the first really good selection of characters in ages came in a different range. The S8 ones weren't quite so inspired, though I'd have loved that mummy, but that first wave, if that had been in the 5" scale that would have been so amazing.
What makes me sad is the series 6 figures that we almost got. It was with series 6 waves that things began to tail off and at the time I really wanted a figure of the Minitour. So when I discovered that at one point they planned to have the Minotaur as a collect and build figure I was heartbroken!
I never knew that, that would have been a nice one to have had. We did get a reasonable selection from s6, things like the silence and the peg soldier were very nice, but there were a fair few that kind of seemed odd choices, two different options for spacesuit river, child or adult, uncle, doctor in straight jacket was a really weird one considering we didn't get him in his green coat. S5 I think was more peg-warmer heavy, but yeah, s6 did miss a few that would have been nice. I'd personally have liked a hand-bot from the girl who waited
The selections from Series 6 screamed "We have these ready (meaning promo shots for figure modeling) but these are being rewritten/not filmed yet", and then I'm sure budget claimed a few like the Minotaur.

Series 5 went more to plan in terms of production and episode filming, while I recall many things in Series 6 got written, rewritten, and moved around. (Two off the top of my head being "Curse of the Black Spot" being brought up in the running order, and Jack originally being in "A Good Man..." and being the head in the box at the end.) I can't say (and I'm not sure a Lurker could either) but I imagine Character were pretty hamstrung with who they could and couldn't make figures of (Madame Kovarian, for example, would've been a potential spoiler before midseason) and on reflection the heavy favouring of "The Doctor's Wife" for figures makes sense: It was a leftover script from Series 5 (pretty sure "The Lodger" took its place) so it was probably more solid, had non--spoilery characters, and reused an Ood (which had an existing figure).

Knowing what we have been told about figure production, it IS funny that with....:

11th Doctor, What they did: Repaint Series 5 body with new head, then make another new head & body for straitjacket, yet another new head for Stetson, and reuse the bearded head for a beard variant on the standard body. (3 new heads, a new upper body, and 1 overall figure reuse. 4 total figures.)

....there's.....

What they could've done: Repaint Series 5 with new head, then make a variant with the green coat wrap. Maybe use the alternate Stetson head on both. (2 new heads, body reuse with an alternate coat wrap. 4 total figures.)

...and they went with the one that likely had to be more expensive, but the other likely would've pleased fans more, given there are STILL cries for that green coat.

Hindsight, I guess.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

My understanding is the Series 6 toys was where they started to run out of budget due to the closing of Woolworths, etc. Hence all of the reissued figures with only tiny tweaks.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 pm

11th Doctor, What they did: Repaint Series 5 body with new head, then make another new head & body for straitjacket, yet another new head for Stetson, and reuse the bearded head for a beard variant on the standard body. (3 new heads, a new upper body, and 1 overall figure reuse. 4 total figures.)

....there's.....

What they could've done: Repaint Series 5 with new head, then make a variant with the green coat wrap. Maybe use the alternate Stetson head on both. (2 new heads, body reuse with an alternate coat wrap. 4 total figures.)

...and they went with the one that likely had to be more expensive, but the other likely would've pleased fans more, given there are STILL cries for that green coat.

Hindsight, I guess.
Oddly, though, the s6 matt figures have different shoulder joints, I only recently got the blue shirted one and it has ball jointed shoulders, so they even spent extra on that. I'd much much sooner have had green coat than the straight jacket, like you said, it would have been less of new parts than the straighjacket, and sure the straightjacket head got reused, but they could have done at least two shirt and tie variations with the green coat, plus reused that stetson head. The bearderd matt as a figure, even in his normal clothes is so deep a cut, I can't imagine anyone wanting one.

Jamie1D

Post by Jamie1D »

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:44 pm
Jamie1D wrote:
Deborah J wrote:
Yeah back in 2011/12 I used to dream about Handbot and Minotaur figures. But I let that dream go. A green coat 11 would be cool and I always thought it was a strange omission.

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

I'd have loved a Handbot too! And a revamped Ice Warrior/Zygon/NiS Cyberman from S7! I was also desperate for an Emojibot from Smile too; they were so damn cute!

Jamie1D

Post by Jamie1D »

Handbot
Minotaur
S7 Zygon
S7 Ice Warrior
S7 Cyberman
Foretold Mummy
Emojibot
S12 Cyberman

The things dreams are made of.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Shame we never got that female Peg Doll. We could've had a B&M repaint by now.

From s6-12 the figures I'd most want are:
Madame Kovarian
Gangers (in their acid suits)
Headless Monks
Handbot
Minotaur
Wooden King
Gunslinger
Smiling Angel and Cherubs
Victorian Clara
Snowman
Dr Simeon/Great Intelligence (potential frozen variant too)
The Vigil & Grandfather
Ice Warrior
Time Zombies
Cyberman (& the Wooden variant if feasible)
Whisperman
Zygon
Half Face Man
The Teller
The Foretold
The Kantrofarri/Dream Crabs
Colony Sarff
Tivolian Ghost
The Mire
Face the Raven Clara
The Veil
Cloister Wraith
Nardole
Heather
Emojibot
Spacesuit zombie
The Monks
Iraxxa
Cyber Patient
Mondasian Cyberman variant
Tzim Sha
Sniperbot
Pting
Thijarian
Kerblam Man
Morax
Ribbons
Kasaavin
Dhawan Master
Dreg
Skithra
Fugitive Doctor
Ashad/Lone Cyberman
CyberWarriors
CyberMasters

...Started out as a s6 wishlist and I got a tad carried away :lol: i think that covers all the main ones, plus quite a few other non-essentials lol

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Just for fun, here are some very blue-sky thinking ideas for waves of pretty much all new figures or at least expenive tweaks of existing ones, for s6 onwards, once the range lost the massive numbers of figures it was previously able to do. 5 figures per wave, one has to be the doctor, let's go

S6
11th Doctor in green coat, blue shirt and red tie
River Song in denim jacket
Minotaur
Handbot
female peg doll

S7 (inc 2013 specials)
11th Doctor with purple jacket and light grey waistcoat
Clara from Time of the Doctor
Crooked Man
Ice Warrior
Zygon

S8
Capaldi with better short hair head, cardigan and white shirt
Rusty the Dalek
Skovox Blitzer
Mummy
NIS style cyberman

S9
red velvet Capaldi with Waistcoat
Under the Lake Clara
Sumpter Rassilon
the Myre
eyeless under the lake ghost (either the rat man or that first guy that dies)

S10
WEAT/Doctor Falls capaldi, longer coat, waistcoat, french cuffs, longer hair
Nardole in WEAT/Doctor fall outfit (waistcoat, burgandy shirt, red trousers, yellowish check coat
Emojibot
John Simm Master with beard
Empress of Mars

S11
mid-blue shirt Doctor
Tim Shaw
P'Ting
Kerblam Man
Vigil

S12
Doctor in waistcoat
Dhawan Master in purple coat
Ruth Doctor
Ashad
Cyber Warrior

It's tough to fit to a set number, because some series are abit thin on stuff I really want, some have more than I have room for, but that's what I'd pick. I'd also like a new style mondasian cyberman, a cyberlord, a Bill with one of her Jackets on, a dufflecoat nardie variant (the more likely choice I think if we got one but I prefer his later look)

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

So many characters that would have made good figures. Alas, many of them we will not see as figures. :cry:

Though I will say, for the Emoji-Bot fans, there's a Christmas Ornament that's in scale with the figures, and considering they don't really move a lot, you probably get away with having it on the shelf. And I've found that the 3.75" Skovox is an ok fit alongside the 5.5" figures, though others would disagree.