Doctor Who Figure Wave Ideas

Spannerintheworks

Re: Doctor Who Figure Wave Ideas

Post by Spannerintheworks »

The Outcast wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 am
So many characters that would have made good figures. Alas, many of them we will not see as figures. :cry:

Though I will say, for the Emoji-Bot fans, there's a Christmas Ornament that's in scale with the figures, and considering they don't really move a lot, you probably get away with having it on the shelf. And I've found that the 3.75" Skovox is an ok fit alongside the 5.5" figures, though others would disagree.
Haha, I saw that Emojibot ornament online and thought the same thing!! Good to know it does work as I thought.

So, being a tad more ruthless/realistic, here's what I feel like we still COULD get from all these wishlists. Ranked by likelihood:

Dhawan Master Be it in the purple coat or the tux there's some easy body reuses, and it's really a repaint with a new head. Plus, he's still a going concern at this time, which makes me feel like if he's on the agenda in the next year or two it's pretty likely.

A New Clara Sounds like Al has mused on this one, and it's a notable exception from the line - Even Bill got TWO relatively screen accurate figures. Clara technically has none if we don't count Oswin. It would require a new wrap and hairpiece for at least 3 outfits I can think of, with reuse of the original figure.

An 11th variant; Green coat IF we were to get an 11th Doctor figure it'd be a relatively easy variant that could be done several ways. It either needs a new wrap or a reused wrap (I've seen 7b 11, Jack, and 10 as donors - all looked ok and had varying advantages). Considering I'd almost say the tweed 11 has been reissued so aggressively that he'd unlikely show again AND "Snowman" 11 made a B&M appearance; If they didn't do purple 7b 11 this makes perfect sense and only requires a coat wrap/paint app change. (I'd put him before Clara, but they always could just reissue 7b 11; I know there's calls for that too.)

A Capaldi variant He's down here because we just got one, and he's quite nice. Notably he's also a straight paint variant - And the prior 12 was that, with a head swap. There's 1 or 2 others they could still do with this formula, but frankly, we know what'd make a must buy- Significant variation. (Waistcoat, new head, totally different outfit) We just got two the prior couple years and they didn't go the "new parts" route, so....less likely. But Al seems to have at least mused on a "Spacesuit 12" to some degree (Announcement video), so....who knows?

And now.....the MUCH less likely, but distant "Maybe?"

NIS Cyberman or New Series Cyberman This is significantly complicated by Series 12 introducing what appears to be a new primary variant of Cyberman. The NIS model at least has a digital model that was likely used for 3.75, and I think I recall a Lurker confirmed scaling up digital models as being possible. (Yes, I'm simplifying.) So....I guess they could do it, but it's a new figure mould and a variant whose screen time has possibly passed? And then there's the question of reissue value; what if the Series 12 model gets a makeover by the time we next see it? If they weren't so popular a monster, I'd assume they'd get a skip entirely until they pop up again.

Zygons/Ice Warriors If they were appearing or had appeared in Series 11/12 I'd feel they'd be more likely. But who knows? They could be an easy costume reuse in Series 13 and the Judoon proved even tweaks/new weapons are possible. Again, they require new figure moulds but at this time have repack potential, likely have some digital modeling done thanks to the 3.75 line, and can be paired with 11 and 12 (or 10, in the Zygons' case) as well. If entirely new figure production comes into play these guys bump up on the list.

Series 10 Simm Master IF they decide to give us Dhawan and IF some kind of Master theme comes into play and IF they don't just reissue Delgado (less likely imo as it's been done for B&M) or Gomez (same) and IF they don't just reissue Yana/War Master (which, not going to lie, I'd welcome) or a Series 3/4 Simm (meh).....then Ainley makes the most sense. ;) BUT after that, a figure that requires a new head and wrap (with multiple body reuse options) doesn't seem unreasonable. And if nothing else, the UNIT "Zygons" soldier makes it clear doing unsculpted facial hair can be done well. At which point, it's just a new coat/body wrap needed.

Ruth/The Fugitive Doctor So, here's the thing. New figure. No way around it. (Although at a push I GUESS you could reuse Donna's body/legs.) And there's less reissue/repack potential than a recurring monster, especially if we never see her again onscreen (Which I dread is the case, seeing all the unresolved questions, her other TV Series/film work, and current writing/continuity regard. But that's another discussion). But, all that said, if she gets retconned into the 14th Doctor (I honestly don't see that happening, but that's another discussion too.), then she'll have a lock on a figure. Hence, I'll put her on here.

Nardole He's solely on here as technically he's a recurring main character (opening credits, no less!) travelling regularly in the TARDIS and, excluding Specials, we've gotten every single one of those in figure form. So if they were going to delve into waters prior to Series 11 and mostly new figures were on the table.....he's a natural place to look after the aforementioned recurring monsters. That said, we're really crossing into slim chances here....

Reissued Tweaks Look, we just got a "Witch's Familiar" set. Granted, it was purely reissues/repaints. But for that reason, this entry includes a S10 Mondasian Cyberman (at the least a repaint, at the most accessory tweaks), Rusty the Dalek (Mostly new bits on the standard Dalek - Guess we'll have to wait for that "Into the Dalek" History set to see. ;) ), "Twice Upon a Time" 1st Doctor (at the least the standard body with cloak/astrakhan head, at most a new head), any Bill variant (coated would be lovely, I agree - I wonder if Ace's arms and coat are compatible? A new coat would look better though), any 13 variant (even Toots did a coatless!), and any S11/12 companion variant (Bluntly, it wouldn't be hard to get Graham or Ryan in formal wear. Just not sure how much demand there is for it, either).

That's probably, realistically it. At this time, anyway. :)

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

Great suggestions!
I think a master themed set would be amazing, especially if we get the new master.

I think we will see Zoe this year. I have a strong feeling. Either Zoe or Liz Shaw. Who knows?

Spannerintheworks

TheOnComingStorm wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 pm
Great suggestions!
I think a master themed set would be amazing, especially if we get the new master.

I think we will see Zoe this year. I have a strong feeling. Either Zoe or Liz Shaw. Who knows?
Honestly if they gave us Zoe, Jamie, Tegan, and the original 1st Doctor team I'd honestly understand if they wrapped up the Companions line for the time being. We've been very lucky, and I'd get if the focus needed to shift. Those 6 and I'd be satisfied.

(Yes, I'd like an 8th companion too. But I'm not holding my breath until we get a Big Finish character that isn't a Doctor or Dalek.)

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:34 pm
TheOnComingStorm wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 pm
Great suggestions!

Honestly if they gave us Zoe, Jamie, Tegan, and the original 1st Doctor team I'd honestly understand if they wrapped up the Companions line for the time being. We've been very lucky, and I'd get if the focus needed to shift. Those 6 and I'd be satisfied.

(Yes, I'd like an 8th companion too. But I'm not holding my breath until we get a Big Finish character that isn't a Doctor or Dalek.)
Honestly, I'd go with a Turlough over a Zoe, just so we can have the complete Season 21 5th Doctor team. Additionally I think a Turlough would be easier to make. But both would be good, cause it'd give us three complete TARDIS teams, meaning all the Classic Series Doctors would have companions to go with them (1, Susan, Ian and Barbara. 2, Jamie and Zoe. 3, Jo and UNIT. 4 and any of his companions (except Adric). 5, Tegan and Turlough. 6 and Peri. 7 and Ace).

I'm also hoping we'll get some sort of Master set to celebrate 50 years of the Master, hopefully with some new incarnation or long awaited variation of the Master (though I don't see us getting the Trakenite Master in his proper costume. Sorry). I'm just excited to see (and get my hands on) whatever they announce this year.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:34 pm

Honestly if they gave us Zoe, Jamie, Tegan, and the original 1st Doctor team I'd honestly understand if they wrapped up the Companions line for the time being.
As would I. Honestly, I'd be happy with just Susan for the first Doctor. I'm not a completist on this front.
There's always Kroton the Cyberman from the comic strips. It could be repaint of the "Invasion" Cyberman.

Spannerintheworks

On the Kroton the Cyberman note....

Just a friendly reminder that unless you count the "Attack of the Cybermen" variant in the B&M monster pack it's been just about ten years since we got a new Cyberman in figure form. Especially on the Classic front; Some models (Tenth Planet, Tomb, Revenge, Earthshock) haven't been available at all since release for 8-12 years.

If anything would welcome straight reissues from a villain/monster perspective, it's them.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

the revenge style cybermen are waaaaay up at the top of the list of things I'd like a straight rerelease of

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:51 pm
On the Kroton the Cyberman note....

Just a friendly reminder that unless you count the "Attack of the Cybermen" variant in the B&M monster pack it's been just about ten years since we got a new Cyberman in figure form. Especially on the Classic front; Some models (Tenth Planet, Tomb, Revenge, Earthshock) haven't been available at all since release for 8-12 years.

If anything would welcome straight reissues from a villain/monster perspective, it's them.
Has it really been TEN YEARS?? Wow. It's definitely high time for a Cyberman or two.

I still hold out hope for a series of "Doctor/Cyberman" packs like the "Doctor/Dalek" packs from the 50th anniversary.

SJF

Post by SJF »

I reckon a good shout for a BF companion to make is probably Anya Kingdom. Yes she’s relatively new and obscure, but you could reuse the body for a Sara Kingdom figure. And then you could stick the Anya head on good old Claudia Brown in order to make an Ann Kelso figure seeing as they're played by the same actor. Which would then mean you have a BF companion to pack with the Tenth Doctor, and one to pack with the Fourth Doctor and then you can also make a Sara Kingdom too.

It’s a win all round.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

Whilst that's not a bad shout, I personally think I'd do other BF companions first.

I think that Charley, Evelyn and Hex figures can be made pretty easily using existing bodies new heads. Obviously Evelyn's figure would use the Grandma Connolly body, Hex would use the Rory body (Fitting, considering they photoshop Hex's face onto Rory's body for some covers) and Charley would use the Monster of Peladon SJS body. Put them in a B&M triple pack called something like "The Companions of the Audio Adventures".

I think that'd be a pretty great triple pack to do, honestly, because it'd provide various expanded universe companions to the shelves of collectors. Additionally, having Charley would mean 8 would actually have a companion to display him with.