The best figures...

Whovastron

The best figures...

Post by Whovastron » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 pm

A pretty cool thread, if I do say so myself, that I started just before the rest. Basically what are your favourite figures? Or sets? Or pieces? or accessories? What’s the best stuff!? And why?

I think the best classic exclusive set we ever got was the Priory Pyramids of Mars Set. Sutekh is a fantastic figure, Marcus is meh but I appreciate the effort. But the accessories are fantastic (the sarcophagus is amazingly well done) and the card rocket idea was so simple yet executed very well. I wish we had gotten more buildabke scenes like that. Card diorama kits could have been fab

TW.

Doctor Gamer

Re: The best figures...

Post by Doctor Gamer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:35 pm

The Night of the Doctor 8th Doctor figure is one of the best figures to be released. And as far as I know, one of the most screen accurate. It also has an amazing likeness to Paul McGann and the accessories that came in the set were cool additions!

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 pm

I think the war doctor figure is outstanding! Made even better in the 13 doctors set

I’m excited to see what they do with the B&M version!
Insta-@wholords2
Twitter-@wholords2

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over a decade

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:09 pm

I think my picks for this thread last time were S18 Tom and the Axos Brigadier, although I think the 13 doctors rerelease of tom has better paint apps than the original version like I have. Roger Delgado Master and Resurrection Davros are also strong picks for me for best figure. Of the ones I don't have, the Sontaran's from Time Warrior and Experiment are absolutely wonderful, and things I wish I owned. And at risk of making my list of choices too long, Peri is also a great figure, as are really all of the cyberbois, with special commendation for Earthshock and the reissued B&M Tomb Controller

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Off the top of my head:

Earthshock Cybermen
Classic Sontarans
Season 18 Tom (13 Doctors)
Mechanoid
Drashig puppet (love that thing)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Doctor What wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:45 pm
Drashig puppet (love that thing)
Yes, the drashig isn't all that accurate, but it's the most charming thing they've released. I got the set he was in in a black friday sale on FP for about £10 the whole set a few years back, never regretted it. I heard that a lot of people couldn't fit their hands in, which bamboozles me a bit, because my hands are decidedly undainty and they slip right in with no difficulty at all.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:45 pm

The enemies of the 3rd Doctor Set was fantastic, just a shame about the price. At least in the end you could get it for £10-20 for like a year.

Gonna shine a little light on the 11th Doctor’s TARDIS playlet for a moment (hear me out!) the size is bad, but for what it is it’s nice enough. The console is really well detailed. If it was electric it would beat the previous console hands down. The cardboard on the set is annoying. But the “glass floor” and underneath area is really nice and the perspective thing isn’t the worst.
Honest considering I paid £20 for this set from Argos in 2011, and it came with the Pandorica Cyberman, I felt I got an absolute steal. Full price maybe not, but I often find getting something cheap can leave the mind potentially to a brighter opinion.

TW.

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:52 pm

I have to say either my season 18 Tom, s7b 11th Doctor or the 80’s Cybermen are probably my favourite
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:06 pm

On the subject of playsets...

I never even took my 11th console room out of the box, so afraid I was of somehow getting a smudge on it.

The 9th/10th, however, I happily unboxed, and the console itself is one of my favorite Who toys ever. They did such a lovely job, it brings me joy every time I flicked the "on" switch.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 am

I pretty much like all the figures I have, so choosing the best is hard, but I'll try.

For the classics I'd go with the original release of Pat Troughton, the face sculpt is just superb. I'd also go with Delgardo Master, he's 5 inches of perfection. Honourable mentions to Earthshock Cyberboi and Ice Warrior.
For new series figures I'd go with raggedy Matt Smith from the crash set, I don't know why but I've always liked that figure. The werewolf is also super cool, who doesn't want a giant plastic werewolf?

Edit: I forgot to mention the new series Sontaran from the B&M pack a couple years ago, the one with the more metallic paint finish. He is gorgeous.