The best figures...

Whovastron

Re: The best figures...

Post by Whovastron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:51 am

Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 am

he's 5 inches of perfection.
Don’t read this out of context folks, unless you just did because I needlessly quoted it

TW.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Such smut, get your mind out of the gutter, Whovastron.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:51 am
Danoftardis wrote:

Don’t read this out of context folks, unless you just did because I needlessly quoted it

TW.
Thanks for that Whovastron, now everyone's going to take it out of context :roll: . Just move along folks, there's nothing to read here :lol: .

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Danoftardis wrote:

TW.
Thanks for that Whovastron, now everyone's going to take it out of context :roll: . Just move along folks, there's nothing to read here :lol: .
Don't worry Dano, this is a very tolerant forum, whatever features you personally enjoy about Roger Delgado we will both accept and respect.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Y'know, I also want to single out the "Pyramids" Priory set - It really offers the perfect complement to "Pyramids" Tom and the mummies. (The "Mars" set too, but even if you skip that one it's still great.) Scarman looks spot on (and the "Mars" headswap is inspired) and Sutekh is the perfect classic figure. Screen accurate, and does something 'extra' screen-accurately too. Plus, his hands are molded in a way that lets posing him look consistent with what he actually does onscreen. I know that sounds odd, but certain figures - the tweed jacket 11th, 2nd, and War Doctors come to mind - have hands that limit poses or in War or 11's case, look odd or out of character. (War looks like he's ready to box or about to jog. At least the 2nd often did clench up his hands when getting cross, which complements his facial sculpt too.)

The Osiran war rocket is indeed realized well. On the strength of that set, I was pretty excited for the cancelled Classic time zone sets just on the "Invasion of Time" set alone - The Panopticon would've looked great on the merit of the Priory set.

It's kinda ironic - the things the new series figures (y'know, the ones that supposedly are the draw for retailers/buyers?) struggled with - spot-on likenesses, cardboard sets that aren't flimsy crap - The classic series line nailed over and over again.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm
Whovastron wrote:

TW.
Don't worry Dano, this is a very tolerant forum, whatever features you personally enjoy about Roger Delgado we will both accept and respect.
Anything I say here will only make this worse for me :lol: . I'm going to keep schtum.

BilliePiperFan

Post by BilliePiperFan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Danoftardis wrote:

TW.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:04 am

Not as bad as Naked Baker or castrated Sontarans in the other thread, other threads :lol: :lol: :lol: geez, anyways, a few of mine, some overlap with before (I have to be honest, I'm struggling to remember what exactly I said last time :lol: )

Delgado Master
Decayed Master
War Doctor
Remembrance Ace - likeness is a bit iffy but nothing beats the jacket and accessories, I prefer figure-wise Nemesis Ace but the accessories with RotD Ace give her the edge
Earthshock Cyberman - though I do prefer the deco on the attack head. By the way, isn't it more accurate to the Five Doctors? With the black square on the chest, and the boots, just an odd observation flicking though stuff
Morbius - utterly hideous but they had a field day with that guy and all those lumps of rotting muscle stitched on, his fishbowl brain etc
Hatted 5th Doctor with the salmon trousers - just something about him, (I believe) they nailed the stripes on his jumper, the jacket, the likeness, the vegetation
Peri - Androzani though they all are very good
Missy - I love her, the likeness is uncanny, you can "hear" the character when you see them which is a sign of how good they are to me, if that makes sense. Nominating the Doctor Falls version though any, really
Three Doctors 2nd Doctor and Ghost Light 7th - perfect likenesses with perfect builds and proportions - and accessories!
Axos Brig

Zygons, Sea Devils, Ice Warriors, most of the Cybermen - all very well done too

3rd Doctor's so close to being perfect it hurts, I'd say the blue jacket Pertwee is perfect with Talons Tom's cloak, but a lot of pertwee's suffer from the "dead eyes" syndrome, easily fixed but we're talking factory released

One's I don't own but can see their excellence:
S18 Tom
Monstrous Axon
K1 Robot
Night of the Doctor 8th

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:13 am

Avon wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:04 am
Not as bad as Naked Baker or castrated Sontarans in the other thread
Castrated sontarans? I don't remember that one, when did that happen?

I will throw this out there, the headsculpt for Ainley master is really wonderful, like one of the best likenesses out there, the facial expression they gave it really captures the essence of the personality of his character. It's just a shame they put zero effort in to giving him a body, like PoF Ainley is the sort of figure B&M might be expected to do nowadays, headswap with an extra rubber bit, from a Forbidden Planet figure that was in a set for £25 you'd kind of expect them to sculpt a full figure. Then again they also gave us repainted widely circulated cyberman and reissue colin, so maybe they stretched the budget for their sets by having some be cheap and easy. Tom and Krynoid was another set that was barely anything new.

But yeah, Ainley's head is wonderful. I hope someone quotes the "a new body at last" line if they ever cough up and give us a proper costumed ainley.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:13 am
Tom and Krynoid was another set that was barely anything new.
But I dearly love that set. That Tom has an amazing facial expression and mine was painted so that he's glancing slightly right. Lends itself to some very natural looking Tom poses.

Also, the pedant in me always notes that even though the Krynoid turned up later, he obviously was the mold intention. The Axon's head....is the Krynoid. No Axon has that look, they're a lumpy pasta mess or a stringy conglomerate with no discernible facial features. Weirdly, they bothered to make new tentacles, tendrils, and even FEET for the Axon. I wish they'd made a different head too - doesn't make me enjoy we have it any less, but with the spot on accuracy of, say, many story-specific Daleks it does stand out to me.

(Also, I love how obviously those two started as "build a figures", they pop apart super easy.)
Deborah J wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:13 am
But yeah, Ainley's head is wonderful....etc
I feel like the "Castrovalva" set was supposed to be Ainley's take on the "Time Monster" set, with the Master, TARDIS, and accessories. Have ever gotten confirmation on Ainley's estate blocking further Masters? Because it's unlike Character to crank out a Classic head mold and NOT get 3 outfits/sets out of it. (Peri, Delgado -who didn't even get a costume switch most of the time, The Brigadier, Jo, Leela, etc.)