Page 3 of 5

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:54 pm
by skifflebits
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:27 pm
Have ever gotten confirmation on Ainley's estate blocking further Masters? Because it's unlike Character to crank out a Classic head mold and NOT get 3 outfits/sets out of it. (Peri, Delgado -who didn't even get a costume switch most of the time, The Brigadier, Jo, Leela, etc.)
I've never heard any official confirmation of that. Only the rumors on GB and the like. I'd always assumed they never reissued it because they didn't want to release it with the suit body again.

Seems like they got other uses out of that body, though. And there was a scrapped plan for a silver "Kameloeonized" version of the original Ainley figure.

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:53 pm
by Whovastron
In my humble opinion, the best headsculpts:

The First Doctor
The Third Doctor (2nd version, 11 Doctors set and beyond where it was skimmed down slightly)
The Brigadier
Delgado Master
Linx
Styre
Count Scarloni
Pretty much every Davros
Season 18 4th Doctor
Ainley Master
The War Doctor
Doctor Constantine
General Staal
Time Lord
The Narrator
Series 6 11th Doctor
Old 11th Doctor

Honourable mentions (kinda face sculpts but also kinda not)
Omega
Earthshock Cyberman
Voc Robots
Sil
1970s Autons
Judoon

All the goodens I can think of off the top of my head

TW.

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:57 pm
by Deborah J
The only thing I think lets down the Michael Wisher Davros head is the flat paint apps they gave him. Like the sculpt is great, but there's no depth to the paintwork, at least not in any pictures I've seen, I don't have one so I've not seen in person. The Molloy one really comes to life with the darker wash emphasising all the creases in his face. And I think the Davris Goodoson one is just a touch too dark, I feel like they didn't darken his face to that degree for destiny, a little maybe, but not that much, apart from the weird mouth he looks more or less the same.

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:26 pm
by BilliePiperFan
Destroyed Cassandra, obviously.

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm
by Whovastron
BilliePiperFan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:26 pm
Destroyed Cassandra, obviously.
Oh that’s it, go for the obvious answer why don’t you

WE ALL LOVE THAT FIGURE GET SOME HOT TAKES BPF

TW.

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:45 pm
by BilliePiperFan
Whovastron wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm
BilliePiperFan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:26 pm
Destroyed Cassandra, obviously.
Oh that’s it, go for the obvious answer why don’t you

WE ALL LOVE THAT FIGURE GET SOME HOT TAKES BPF

TW.
Sorry but it had to be said sooner or later.

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:54 pm
by CharlieTheWhovian
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 pm
A pretty cool thread, if I do say so myself, that I started just before the rest. Basically what are your favourite figures? Or sets? Or pieces? or accessories? What’s the best stuff!? And why?

I think the best classic exclusive set we ever got was the Priory Pyramids of Mars Set. Sutekh is a fantastic figure, Marcus is meh but I appreciate the effort. But the accessories are fantastic (the sarcophagus is amazingly well done) and the card rocket idea was so simple yet executed very well. I wish we had gotten more buildabke scenes like that. Card diorama kits could have been fab

TW.
On an off-topic note, is Scarman a kitbash? I can't find one similar but it just seems odd that they would've forked out for a new sculpt on the jacket and then end up printing details on the back that just don't look real...

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:01 pm
by Doctor What
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:54 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 pm
A pretty cool thread, if I do say so myself, that I started just before the rest. Basically what are your favourite figures? Or sets? Or pieces? or accessories? What’s the best stuff!? And why?

I think the best classic exclusive set we ever got was the Priory Pyramids of Mars Set. Sutekh is a fantastic figure, Marcus is meh but I appreciate the effort. But the accessories are fantastic (the sarcophagus is amazingly well done) and the card rocket idea was so simple yet executed very well. I wish we had gotten more buildabke scenes like that. Card diorama kits could have been fab

TW.
On an off-topic note, is Scarman a kitbash? I can't find one similar but it just seems odd that they would've forked out for a new sculpt on the jacket and then end up printing details on the back that just don't look real...
I think he uses bits of the James Lester Primeval figure and his hands might even be the Seventh Doctor's, but I think the jacket was new. I saw TOMFAN's custom Talons Fourth Doctor today and he used Scarman as a base for that, it actually works much better than Pertwee for the body.

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 pm
by CharlieTheWhovian
Doctor What wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:01 pm
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:54 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 pm
A pretty cool thread, if I do say so myself, that I started just before the rest. Basically what are your favourite figures? Or sets? Or pieces? or accessories? What’s the best stuff!? And why?

I think the best classic exclusive set we ever got was the Priory Pyramids of Mars Set. Sutekh is a fantastic figure, Marcus is meh but I appreciate the effort. But the accessories are fantastic (the sarcophagus is amazingly well done) and the card rocket idea was so simple yet executed very well. I wish we had gotten more buildabke scenes like that. Card diorama kits could have been fab

TW.
On an off-topic note, is Scarman a kitbash? I can't find one similar but it just seems odd that they would've forked out for a new sculpt on the jacket and then end up printing details on the back that just don't look real...
I think he uses bits of the James Lester Primeval figure and his hands might even be the Seventh Doctor's, but I think the jacket was new. I saw TOMFAN's custom Talons Fourth Doctor today and he used Scarman as a base for that, it actually works much better than Pertwee for the body.
Hmm if that is the case, I wonder why they never bothered to sculpt the details into the jacket rather than paint them like they did

Re: The best figures...

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:27 am
by Gek2Win
Ok, I have a confession. I really like the 3.75" TARDII. They're just really nice. Not as nice as the full 5" ones, but the Hide set one really makes me want a 5" delay TARDIS.