B&M doctor who sets.

TheSparrow

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by TheSparrow »

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:27 pm

I just noticed that Graham doesn't have the gloves in retail. I wonder what else will change between any of the new ones.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

TARDIS sets I think are feasible/realistic:
(Or, I'm working remotely with all these sets around me, so the mind wanders.)

*Season 18 4th Doctor:
He's a proven seller and this figure was last in the 13 Doctors set. You could vary it with the "Traken" coatless figure or use the unreleased hatted prototype- It's not really a risk releasing a 4th Doctor set. The TARDIS would be attractive too, it'd basically fulfill the "clean" Davison box void. Easy rereleases and minimal sales risk.

The only "unrealistic" angle I see is we've had a 4th Doctor TARDIS set the last two years. He's a proven seller, but I'd get a rest too.

*"Night of the Doctor" or TVM/Big Finish TARDIS set:
Slap the 5th Doctor roof on the Whittaker TARDIS, get the paint and label apps right and then choose an 8th Doctor - They all are desirable to collectors, and I bet that TVM one could really benefit from a paint app glow-up.

The most unrealistic angle here is....General B&M audience buying McGann. But then, those Big Finish sets cleared out so why not? Again, easy mods/releases with no new parts.

First Doctor TARDIS, The War Machines
It's a rerelease without sound, and that First Doctor can easily be a variant: Put the hatted head on the standard body (Eaglemoss just did something like this). Put the cloak on the standard figure. New paint apps.

Unrealistic angle here is the B&M sets tending to avoid the B&W era.

Now, the fancier ideas (that are still somewhat realistic):

Sixth Doctor & TARDIS
It's my understanding that the coat is just....too much paint app-wise? It's a shame, because you could...
*Do "Trial" variants we've never gotten.
*Correct the vest and shirt being painted as a single garment.
*Include the existing "Tranquil Repose" blue cloak.
...and also give a clean 80-86 TARDIS, easy repackage.

The only unrealistic angle is no Colin in any B&M set, which makes me feel either they dont see it as a realistic sales option or it needs to be a variant due to the coat? In that case....
*Do an "Twin Dilemma" set with 5's clothes.
*Take the standard 6 body, and dirty it up to a "Mark of the Rani" figure.
*Do a coatless variant. (New body wrap)

Second Doctor & TARDIS set
So, per Al the weathering needed makes this unrealistic. I'd take a slightly less accurate weathering job if it gets us something special. This Doctor has no sculpt/bodyswap/head variants. So that means the standard sculpt 3rd/4th TARDIS dirtied up with a figure paint variant(er, he's never had a black tie, and that definitely was a thing. Plus some trouser pattern and handkerchief variants are available). Or....
*add a cloak (Tomb of the Cybermen)
*Do a new head with hat (Power, Highlanders, Underwater Menace)
*Do both of the former (The Highlanders)
*Produce the unreleased Fur coat figure prototype. (The Abominable Snowmen/The 5 Doctors)

Unrealistic as...this era got little love when the line was at the height of its powers. And to really make it something different, it would NEED a significant variant figure when the TARDIS is basically a dirtier 4th Regeneration TARDIS. But if 2 was a new figure, it'd probably do it.

Finally, here's a wildcard:
Ainley Master (Traken outfit) with 4th Doctor's TARDIS (Logopolis):
The Master is easily marketed. This variant is desirable. And a new body wrap on the prior figure would make this fairly accurate. And again, clean 80-86 TARDIS achieved.

Unrealistic because....we haven't seen anyone other than a Doctor with a TARDIS. Also, new wrap.

Didn't do the 3rd because we've had 3 B&M 3rd Doctor sets and the last just dropped this year, and the 7th Doctor had two sets last year.

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

Managed to get my hands on the TARDIS yesterday, been waiting the 24 hours just to be safe. In about half an hour it should be safe, so I'll report my final thoughts, but first impressions, it looks very vibrant. I can't wait to compare.

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

ah are you after images of Yaz and Ryan then?

i believe we are not a million miles from the first press release about the next sets ... so id say maybe 2 - 3 weeks with luck ...

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:04 pm

i believe we are not a million miles from the first press release about the next sets ... so id say maybe 2 - 3 weeks with luck ...
Ooh! That’s eerie. I literally dreamt this last night!

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Ooh, exciting.

Al, will we ever get Line of Duty figs? Pls+thx

Lurker at the Edge

Post by Lurker at the Edge »

the wha?.... line of duty?... im confused (though thats not unknown generally)

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo »

Has anyone heard anything about a Romana 1 figure?
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

DalekCheese wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Ooh, exciting.

Al, will we ever get Line of Duty figs? Pls+thx
Weird flex but I'd buy them if they were 5 inch scale.

Very much looking forward to the press release Al!

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Galactic YoYo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:36 pm
Has anyone heard anything about a Romana 1 figure?
Yeah not sure how true it is yet