B&M doctor who sets.

Deborah J

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Deborah J »

tbh, I think I like the first romana 1 head better, although the costume is way better on the second, Mary Tamm did have a very high forehead, I've noticed that in the past

dorkjackson

Post by dorkjackson »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:12 pm
tbh, I think I like the first romana 1 head better, although the costume is way better on the second, Mary Tamm did have a very high forehead, I've noticed that in the past
I like the new sculpt and the more accurate outfit but I agree; despite what a lot of folks on here think, the original looks more like Mary Tamm to me.

The new one still looks enough like her but is a bit more generic facially to me. She doesn't quite jump out at me as Romana I in the same way the PIRATE PLANET one does.
Last edited by dorkjackson on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat »

dorkjackson wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:36 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:12 pm
I like the new sculpt and the more accurate outfit but I agree; despite what a lot of folks on here think, the original looks more like Mary Tamm.

The second one still looks enough like her but looks a bit more generic facially to me and doesn't quite jump out at me as Romana I.
When you see them pictured side-by-side they do not look like the same person.

SJF

Post by SJF »

I’m really glad I waited for these sets before getting the Friends and Foes of Thirteen set. This Ryan and Yaz look far superior to the originals imo, plus there’s that brilliant brown jacket Graham that I’ve wanted since the original came out. Plus the Judoon just didn’t interest me much so I’m glad I can bypass it.

Also, I’ll probably get the Claws of Axos UNIT set. Not sure the Zygons version is for me.

Davison’s TARDIS is also very tempting. I’ll be focusing on getting Companions of 3/4 and Friends of 13 first.

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 »

Is anyone else a bit tired of B&M now?

They make it impossible to find out if they have the sets since they’ve stopped accepting calls and turned the stock check off on them.

For me it’s a 40 min journey to my store which is wasted countless times and made worse by the staff being rude everytime I go to a B&M store
Insta-@wholords2
Twitter-@wholords2

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over a decade

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:19 pm
Wowowowow, some great pictures there, Doctor What. The chevrons should not be on Benton's sleeve, as you thought there, he's warrant officer by that point, WO1, he should have a small embroidered lion and unicorn crest ensignia on his sleeve. And TOm did have a dark green cravat on under his shirt in Zygons, but it was very subtle, you don't see it so much. I think having it out like that is probably the most sensible way to do the figure though.
I suppose for accuracy it would be better to have the grunt and Benton swap heads then, he wouldn't have the insignia or anything but it would be less obvious than the white stripes. Is the green cravat the same one he wears in Planet of Evil for a few random shots due to a continuity error?

And I agree about Romana, she does look comoletely different. I think the first one looks more like her but I still prefer the second version because of the hair and skin tone, the first one looks a little strange to me.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Doctor What wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:43 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:19 pm
Wowowowow, some great pictures there, Doctor What. The chevrons should not be on Benton's sleeve, as you thought there, he's warrant officer by that point, WO1, he should have a small embroidered lion and unicorn crest ensignia on his sleeve. And TOm did have a dark green cravat on under his shirt in Zygons, but it was very subtle, you don't see it so much. I think having it out like that is probably the most sensible way to do the figure though.
I suppose for accuracy it would be better to have the grunt and Benton swap heads then, he wouldn't have the insignia or anything but it would be less obvious than the white stripes. Is the green cravat the same one he wears in Planet of Evil for a few random shots due to a continuity error?

And I agree about Romana, she does look comoletely different. I think the first one looks more like her but I still prefer the second version because of the hair and skin tone, the first one looks a little strange to me.
The grey cravat from the ealing prefilmed sequences of POE is a different tie again. Many many ties, only one Tom. The cravat for zygons is a bottle green, where the continuity error tie is kind of a grey blue.

how easily do the heads swap on those figures, could it be done reasonably easily?

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Not sure how easy it would be to take Romana's head off, I think it might not be removable without dismantling, don't really want to pull on it to find out!

On the subject of removing heads, i'd advise against removing the Zygons Tom head. It seems to be an issue with any duffle coat Tom that the peg comes loose and lowers into the torso. (I had it with the original releases and others have had it with this one).

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I just picked up the zygons set. Weirdly, the last load of sets my B&M got them all right away except for the unit set, this time they've not got any of the new stuff except for the unit set, that's the only one that's in. Strange. Really nice figures, even Yike Mates

DoctorTWho

Post by DoctorTWho »

Doctor What wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:47 pm
On the subject of removing heads, i'd advise against removing the Zygons Tom head. It seems to be an issue with any duffle coat Tom that the peg comes loose and lowers into the torso. (I had it with the original releases and others have had it with this one).
Can vouch for this. This also happens to some 7th Doctor figures.

It is not the end of the world if it does occur, as the head will still fit in over the peg, it just won't be securely locked in. (It can actually allow for some more movement, like a low-grade balljointed head. But this all depends on your tolerance for something being "wrong" with your figure, even invisibly.)

To avoid, try rolling the head in a circular motion toward the outer edges when taking it off or putting it on, rather than pulling or pushing straight up or down. Not foolproof, but it can help minimize the chances of breaking the peg.

Oh, to dream of a day when all classic Doctor figures have balljointeds heads and shoulders...!