B&M doctor who sets.

Merlin

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Merlin » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:04 am

I guess 11’s Jacket, maybe? But the tooling was probably incompatible.
It does seem a shame that there isn’t a waistcoat, nonetheless. Then again, we don’t know how much that tooling would’ve cost, I guess.
No forum, no matter how great, can know it’s destiny. It cannot glimpse his part in the great story that is about to unfold. As it will be for the member arriving at the gates of DWT.net. A lad that will, in time, father the legend. His name: Merlin.

HubertBonisseur

Post by HubertBonisseur » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:06 am

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:47 am
So, Jamie.

I say he's more feasible than Zoe. We'd need:

New Head Sculpt + new kilt/wrap piece + Sharaz Jek/Axon body repainted.

Seriously, it'd work.
No it wouldn't. Unless you want a naked Jamie with a skirt :)

HubertBonisseur

Post by HubertBonisseur » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:08 am

Merlin wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:04 am
I guess 11’s Jacket, maybe? But the tooling was probably incompatible.
It does seem a shame that there isn’t a waistcoat, nonetheless. Then again, we don’t know how much that tooling would’ve cost, I guess.

Not sure you can really kitbash figures to that extent on a production line.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 am

HubertBonisseur wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:06 am
Spannerintheworks wrote:
So, Jamie.

Seriously, it'd work.
the axon body isn't naked though, there are fabric creases on it, if they painted it up it could look like a jumper.

SJF

Post by SJF » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:45 am

Spannerintheworks wrote:
So, Jamie.

Seriously, it'd work. An accurate Zoe requires a new body or serious part- swapping and a headsculpt. And a glittery paintjob is gonna cost extra too. But what we really should pay attention to is....

...who do they have rights to do?

Ian Marter, sadly, wasn't around to discuss in interviews how he'd given likeness rights. So, we'd never have known Harry was a possibility....and didn't.

But we know other people have....or were at least approached. Last I checked, they were:

*Frazier Hines
*Elizabeth Sladen
*Janet Fielding

Do we know any more?

This is important because getting a figure made needs those likenesses cleared. And if that clearance is an extra cost/hurdle, then....that's likely a barrier to any future surprises. But if they already HAVE it....

I feel like a classic Sarah Jane is the safest "next" bet. Especially seeing Al called out that era as a personal favourite. (I mean, the Classic line kinda gave that away anyway; He just confirmed it. ;) )
Yeah but the Axon/Jek body isn’t designed to just have a kilt stuck on it, theres no room on the existing tooling for that to be attached and for it to look remotely natural. The only way I could see it working with the pre-existing tooling is if the kilt was made of fabric.

You can’t really do Jamie without a kilt, whereas with Zoe, if they did her with the Martha Jones body, it wouldn’t be accurate but it would be passable. Like the Talons Fourth Doctor, TVM Seven, Harry and even Bill. And you’re right, a sparkly paint job would be costly but they’d probably not even bother and just paint it silver.

I agree that Sarah Jane is probably the safest bet as to what we might get next year if we do get another new sculpt, as that Primeval body works fine somtheyd jut have to do a new head and a lot of people seem to want her next. If not that, then maybe Ian Chesterton in a First Doctor Set as he’d also be easy to do.

I remember a couple of years back, it was said that Anneke Wills had approved for her likeness to be used for a figure, and I think this was around the same time Frazer Hines did.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 am
HubertBonisseur wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:06 am
Spannerintheworks wrote:
So, Jamie.

Seriously, it'd work.
the axon body isn't naked though, there are fabric creases on it, if they painted it up it could look like a jumper.
Right! See, I know Jek was badly scarred, but it didn't turn his upper body black. ;) And sure, I'll admit maybe a kilt wrap wouldn't be easiest....even though Jek himself has a vinyl costume piece that wraps around the figure's waist. Hey, it could be a vinyl wrap of his kilt AND fur vest as one piece; Then it'd be more like a long coat with a join in the front or back. That'd surely work.

So the people we know gave likeness rights (or hinted they may have) could get us Polly, Sarah Jane, Tegan or Jamie.

Based on the figures people here have mentioned they want, we'd need Lalla Ward, William Russell, Carol Ann Ford, and Wendy Padbury's ok. Has anyone ever heard them say anything about figures?

Avon

Post by Avon » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Exactly the problem, I think, no offence to anyone, but you need a figure as-is or has a proven record of part swaps/is compatible with another tooling block. I'm not sure where I saw it quoted, so don't quote me haha, but bill cost I think, 8, 9 grand? Maybe more, to tool, using even reused parts.

They're made in big moulds like ice cube trays, and as someone who disassembles figures on a regular basis, it's rarer to find a figure that actually fits another as nine times out of ten it doesn't. Plus, I'm no expert with this but based on other action figure lines, comments, educated guesswork etc - You've got ridiculous wastage as one figure is one 8 grand block and another figure is another 8 grand block - if you take the top off one figure and the bottom of another, you need both blocks, which is why it isnt done. So say, double the cost of making, finding the mould in storage, shipping it, cleaning it, assuming it's not damaged as they're getting on a bit I'd expect, plus assembly, say you made 1,000 jamie's kitbashing two figures, you'd literally have 1,000 mismatched useless legs and torsos to throw in the bin, aka 8 9 grand if not more down the toilet, which is why it just isn't possible, and why it isn't done, except for where tooling can be swapped. That's not fact, don't quote me as the truth haha, it's simplified but I believe it to be at least close to the truth, And it's why Harry is an utter miracle :lol: I'm guessing the PVC parts must be different, or, Tom's were made to be modular knowing the amount of similar variants.

On that note, some figures were made modular by design, I'd bet good money the Sontarans were as they knew they'd be milking that mould for every sontaran possible from day one, likewise with the krynoid into an axon, Missy, many though not all of the 4th Doctor's etc. Some of this seems stuck too, it'd cost too much money apparently to make a 3rd doctor with the open collar, even though they share the same parts, except for the chest and head, due to the added connector.

Reading that back, I do wonder..., at some point, I'm imagining the primeval moulds were modded or were indeed, modular to begin with, as we've had parts from them going as far back as Rory seeping into the line. Maybe they were changed back in the day and that's paying dividends when it comes to figures like Bill?

With that in mind, as well as cowboy accuracy:
So you've got Susan - Bill but she's got trainers
Barbara - Cardigan SJ but she has boots
Ian - any suited body, editor, James Lester etc
Polly - Jo Grant
Zoe - Martha or Clara
Liz - Jo Grant
Benton - Captain Jack
Mike Yates - Captain Jack for a Claws of Axos et al or the sunday best Brig for the more iconic look
SJ - Martha, or, School reunion repaint
Romana - Idris
Tegan - Clara (Warriors of the Deep)
Nyssa - Invasion of Time Leela (Terminus)
Turlough - James Lester
And any number of the Big Finish and DWM characters - Izzy, Lucie and Charlie strike me as the most marketable, Izzy especially as you have no likeness rights, just to who ever created her
Owen Harper - Rory or Toby Zedd, if rights permitted?

Also add:
Wheel Cyberman - potentially
Attack Cybercontroler - missing his belly but hey, close enough
Draconian - Magnus Greel, maybe
Silurian - sea devil sans dress with a new head
Movellan - Leela?
Haemovores - Uncle and that Vampire chap
Alex Mcqueen and James Dreyfus Masters - Saxon body, not accurate but close enough

Bare in mind, you've got to factor in target audience, and sellability to B&M. Harry Sullivan is a beloved companion from a beloved era with two majorly rare figures - an instant seller. I think as much as I want 60s companions, people like Benton, Romana and Turlough are more likely, that isn't a knock at Barbs, Ian, Polly, I love them, that isn't an attack at them, but - you've got to think what's going to make someone spend £20 on a set and more importantly on B&M spending that cash on the tooling, with say two new parts a year you have to prioritize. I know we all would buy them, and these seem more directed at us this time so maybe, but, are B&M going to think that way?

But I'm not getting ahead of myself, and I thinking it's important to remember - we're getting new figures! Harry is an absolute blessing and I would take him and never have another and be forever thankful we got just one new companion, what Al's done this year is nothing short of incredible.

EDIT: As for likenesses, I really don't see a problem from the majority, hell, they manged to get all the doctors! Most of those if not all of those actors who are still alive still do cons and are on very good terms with the fanbase, I'd say.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Don't think it's been mentioned so could Ace's lower half work for a Jamie figure?

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:18 pm

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:14 pm
Don't think it's been mentioned so could Ace's lower half work for a Jamie figure?
I mean his legs would be very thin and he'd be wearing some odd shoes. Also Ace can barely stand up in my experience.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:21 pm

I agree 100% - the fact we're getting new figures /headsculpts at all is amazing. Definitely a win going forward.

I should've been more clear; With Jamie I didn't intend any parts swap: the body would be straight Jek reuse. Yeah, it requires some fudging of the legs being painted bare. But the kilt would partially hide that, and there are already boots. On that note - Avon, your reuse suggestions are great! Very feasible, and I do agree that 70's/early 80s companions probably do have more recognition/appeal/sales potential. Plus, with the sole exception of Jamie, it'd be hard for me to look at 1 & Ian or 2 & Polly and not wonder where everyone else was.