B&M doctor who sets.

SJF

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by SJF »

I sincerely hope we get another classic companion, although the way the Harry Sullivan sets have pegwarmed, I’m worried that perhaps they won’t do that again.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

SJF wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 pm
I sincerely hope we get another classic companion, although the way the Harry Sullivan sets have pegwarmed, I’m worried that perhaps they won’t do that again.
Did they????? Over here in the USA, not counting Dalek sets, those are the ones that sold out immediately if offered and you can't track them down on Amazon (You can find the others barring TARDIS sets last I checked). Shada TARDIS & that never got a price drop, and even Who NA sold out and they had them at a $59.99 cost plus shipping.

Geez. That ocean, I'll tell ya....

Well, we know we have some "Harry Sullivan" type surprises apparently, so....maybe someone new, but not as deep a cut. I dig Harry, but I'll admit he's probably not most fan's "top figure want".

SJF

Post by SJF »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 pm
SJF wrote:
Did they????? Over here in the USA, not counting Dalek sets, those are the ones that sold out immediately if offered and you can't track them down on Amazon (You can find the others barring TARDIS sets last I checked). Shada TARDIS & that never got a price drop, and even Who NA sold out and they had them at a $59.99 cost plus shipping.

Well, we know we have some "Harry Sullivan" type surprises apparently, so....maybe someone new, but not as deep a cut. I dig Harry, but I'll admit he's probably not most fan's "top figure want".

Well at least in the UK, you can walk into a B&M and find about 20 of the Harry and Peri sets. The BF sets and the TARDISes have long since sold out and I’ve not seen any Silver Nemesis sets in a while either.

Maybe that’s just my area, but I’ve heard other people buying several Harrys for spares and customs because the sets are so plentiful.

Spannerintheworks

SJF wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 pm
SJF wrote:

Well at least in the UK, you can walk into a B&M and find about 20 of the Harry and Peri sets. The BF sets and the TARDISes have long since sold out and I’ve not seen any Silver Nemesis sets in a while either.

Maybe that’s just my area, but I’ve heard other people buying several Harrys for spares and customs because the sets are so plentiful.
If nothing else, I'm happy the market for TARDIS sets with production mods/new Doctor figures, Dalek sets, AND Big Finish themes are firmly established then! :)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm

Well, that's a shame, though anecdotal evidence I suppose is really only that. Just because people are finding sets leftover doesn't inherently mean B&M didn't make their quota on them.

Though I do wonder whether Doctorless sets sell less in general.
None of Doctor Who is canon.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

I feel like they might have made more this year than in previous years, I think that was mentioned at some point.

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 »

SJF wrote:
I don’t think harry was the issue I think it was 2 sontaran that was the peg warming issue I personally loved getting the classic sontarans Harry seemed to be most wanted, sontarans seem to end up on eBay alot
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

Spannerintheworks

Rackers96 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:45 pm
SJF wrote:
I don’t think harry was the issue I think it was 2 sontaran that was the peg warming issue I personally loved getting the classic sontarans Harry seemed to be most wanted, sontarans seem to end up on eBay alot
The funny part is, for me, the Styre in the B&M set had the superior paint apps/colour choices: I have the original release Sontarans (including Stor) and I disliked that Styre's armour was left the colour of the black plastic. The B&M set was more metallic and while it was never going to have the exact look of the screen armour, it certainly seems closer than just plain black plastic.

Otherwise, the others fill out Stor's force on my shelf. ;)

SJF

Post by SJF »

Rackers96 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:45 pm
SJF wrote:
Yeah my Sontarans have never left the box, been meaning to put them on eBay.

I only wanted Harry (and that pesky Eighth Doctor that I’ve never seen in the wild!)

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

In contrast i've actually bought two Sontaran sets and I may even get more, I think the originals are better but these make for good generic soldiers. I also bought a second Cyberman set and i'm tempted to get a third, Cybermen look great in big groups. I think I really caught the army building bug with these sets :lol: I never did see the War Doctor set again though so I didn't get a second regular scientist like I planned. Although I do wonder what these upcoming tweaked re-releases will be, and if it will perhaps be a similar case to the BF exclusives where the changes are very minor.