Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by DalekCheese »

DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:58 am
Galactic YoYo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:07 am
Deborah J wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 pm
I wonder if john hurt will be a variant or just the same figure from before.
I'm hoping for it to be just the standard figure.
I wonder if it’ll be ‘sun lounger’ John Hurt...
Idk what was happening in my head
“Nicholas [Courtney] was always off his head on goodness-knows-what back then, of course.”
-Jon Pertwee, on the making of The Claws of Axos, speaking 1987.

“Yes, I would occasionally bring in the odd bag of something.”
-Nicholas Courtney, speaking 1994.

EmeraldThorn

Post by EmeraldThorn »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 pm
Rackers96 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:45 pm
SJF wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 pm
I sincerely hope we get another classic companion, although the way the Harry Sullivan sets have pegwarmed, I’m worried that perhaps they won’t do that again.
I don’t think harry was the issue I think it was 2 sontaran that was the peg warming issue I personally loved getting the classic sontarans Harry seemed to be most wanted, sontarans seem to end up on eBay alot
The funny part is, for me, the Styre in the B&M set had the superior paint apps/colour choices: I have the original release Sontarans (including Stor) and I disliked that Styre's armour was left the colour of the black plastic. The B&M set was more metallic and while it was never going to have the exact look of the screen armour, it certainly seems closer than just plain black plastic.

Otherwise, the others fill out Stor's force on my shelf. ;)
Personally I am opposite, the original to me looks much more accurate as his armour was darker than Linx' and much darker than the B&M version. In the story it is closer to black and more like what you see on lead pencils. Maybe I got lucky and got really good paint apps on my original Styre, he also holds his gun better. B&M version I think got the skintone better but lost the powdery and weathered look of the original. I also had to mod the B&M's helmet to fit better as the wedge(better word?) inside the collar is a little too thick so the helmet didn't sit right. So my B&M Styre will be a foot soldier of sorts. Though it may be my eyes tricking me, I think the original Styre figure is taller.

I always found it funny that Linx had a tall narrow head but shorter wider helmet, yet Styre had a shorter wider head but taller narrower helmet. I am just glad I found somewhere online within Australia that had the set listed. I do hope we get more classic companions, like Jamie, Ian and Barbara, Tegan, just to name a few.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

I compared the two and just preferred the originals. Not sure which is more accurate. Also the originals hold a higher place in my heart cause of nostalgia though

TW.

Avon

Post by Avon »

I'm just glad to have them! I'd never have been able to afford to get a single classic sontaran, if not for the re-releases.., I do like they went for something more shiny, in a few respects, a, while it is debatable I can definitely see the effect they were going with Linx at least (if you look at the outdoor behind the scenes photos, with Jon and Liz, it really is that bright on the armor with the skin so bleached out, it's not actually that color, sort of a Hoth Han Solo parka thing, but still), b, keeps the original ones special for those that had them and moreover than either of those, they more or less match Styke, and as I'm using all of my spuds as troopers with him as the commander it's nice that they're at least close to looking like a uniform army (and they match some of the books/comics/artwork etc, so nicely work as EU Sontarans of various types etc).

It's interesting actually, to see what stuck around. I've got 6 B&M's within a sensible-ish bus ride, only one had sets lasting longer than the first two weeks of release, one restocked to my knowledge and they sold as fast, but it was only the one in a bit of dodgy, less trafficked area that actually still has them (they got 12 of each of the three packs, and nothing else, I slowly cleared them out of a couple of extras for friends and customs, but the Harry sets where the first to go, they still haven't sold any of the 12 Peri's though...).

While those new sets still haven't been announced, B&M are stocking 13's sonic, I "believe" it's £15

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

EmeraldThorn wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:18 am
I always found it funny that Linx had a tall narrow head but shorter wider helmet, yet Styre had a shorter wider head but taller narrower helmet.
The Sontaran Helmet Design Department never talks to the Head Design Department.

For a race of genetically engineered clone people, you'd think they'd have their inter-office communication down better.
None of Doctor Who is canon.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Are we still getting these interim sets? All gone a bit quiet...

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:08 pm
I had wondered that too.
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

SJF

Post by SJF »

TheSparrow wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 pm
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
I had wondered that too.
Mid-February now apparently

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

SJF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm
TheSparrow wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 pm
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
I had wondered that too.
Mid-February now apparently
But it is mid February

TW.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Where was an approximate release time for these tweaks given? I'm not doubting you guys but i've honestly lost track.