The worst figures...

Doctor Gamer

Re: The worst figures...

Post by Doctor Gamer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:49 am

DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 am
To be fair, for those first daleks they were just working from photos. No measurements etc. from the BBC at all.
The early daleks were chunkier because not only were they first produced in the dalek battlepacks where CO didn’t really know what they were doing, but the technology for the RC element had to fit in to the Daleks, so they made the dalek chunkier and just stuck with what design until the stolen earth set was released.
Last edited by Doctor Gamer on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:52 am

DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 am
To be fair, for those first daleks they were just working from photos. No measurements etc. from the BBC at all.
The early daleks were chunkier because they were first produced in the first ever thing that CO made for the line, the dalek battle packs. CO didn’t really know what they were doing back then so got the proportions wrong and also they had to fit the RC technology of the daleks into the toy, and thus made it chunkier so it would fit. They
stuck with this design all the way until the stolen earth set was released.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 am

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 pm

On another note of worst figures; Rory is horrid. The face sculpt is quite possibly the worst CO has ever done...
Interesting because it's a digital scan of his head.
I thought the face was alright but the hair just doesnt look quite right. I'd love to see someone try and tidy him up a bit...

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 am

How about the series 5 river song? The body is fine but the head is really weird, looks nothing like Alex Kingston and has that weird orange skin tone. Then there’s the fact the hair has a massive gap between the head making it look like a bald person in a wig. I know they sort of fixed that later on but still.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:16 am

TARDIS23 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 am
How about the series 5 river song? The body is fine but the head is really weird, looks nothing like Alex Kingston and has that weird orange skin tone. Then there’s the fact the hair has a massive gap between the head making it look like a bald person in a wig. I know they sort of fixed that later on but still.
Yeah I thought the figure itself was a great sculpt minus the lack of fringe on the hair and the bad skin tone. Such a shame. Maybe B&M could rectify that in a future release?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 pm

On another note of worst figures; Rory is horrid. The face sculpt is quite possibly the worst CO has ever done...
A lot of the digital scans still manage to come out bad. Capaldi springs to mind.

TW.
That first Capaldi is bad because of the thick paint and them getting the eyebrows wrong.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:47 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:48 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 pm
skifflebits wrote:

A lot of the digital scans still manage to come out bad. Capaldi springs to mind.

TW.
That first Capaldi is bad because of the thick paint and them getting the eyebrows wrong.
He looked so sad I just want to give him a hug.

crazydiamond

Post by crazydiamond » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Neon Wolf wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 am
crazydiamond wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 am
The early New Series Daleks that look like they have cartoon proportions. I'm glad they eventually redid them (does anyone remember the first release of the updated sculpt? surprisingly i don't have one yet)
I believe the new sculpt first appeared in the 'Stolen Earth' set but there was an RC Supreme Dalek that came out first that uses the new sculpt as a base.

I know the first releases were inaccurate but I still kinda like them and they still go well with the new Daleks.
The Stolen Earth set has that weird crucible arm; has there ever been just a regular no-gimmick gun/plunger bronze NSD with that sculpt?

EDIT: Never mind, just remembered the S5 progenitor guardian Dalek.
Last edited by crazydiamond on Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:22 pm

crazydiamond wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:18 pm
Neon Wolf wrote:
crazydiamond wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 am
The early New Series Daleks that look like they have cartoon proportions. I'm glad they eventually redid them (does anyone remember the first release of the updated sculpt? surprisingly i don't have one yet)
I believe the new sculpt first appeared in the 'Stolen Earth' set but there was an RC Supreme Dalek that came out first that uses the new sculpt as a base.

I know the first releases were inaccurate but I still kinda like them and they still go well with the new Daleks.
The Stolen Earth set has that weird crucible arm; has there ever been just a regular no-gimmick gun/plunger bronze NSD with that sculpt?
I think in the first S5 wave there was, he was meant to be the guy on the saucer from victory

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:22 pm
crazydiamond wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:18 pm
Neon Wolf wrote:

I think in the first S5 wave there was, he was meant to be the guy on the saucer from victory
And the Asylum bronze. The ironside was a tweaked version too.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.