Re: The worst figures...

Post by Doctor What » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:24 pm

crazydiamond wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:18 pm
Neon Wolf wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 am
crazydiamond wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 am
The early New Series Daleks that look like they have cartoon proportions. I'm glad they eventually redid them (does anyone remember the first release of the updated sculpt? surprisingly i don't have one yet)
I believe the new sculpt first appeared in the 'Stolen Earth' set but there was an RC Supreme Dalek that came out first that uses the new sculpt as a base.

I know the first releases were inaccurate but I still kinda like them and they still go well with the new Daleks.
The Stolen Earth set has that weird crucible arm; has there ever been just a regular no-gimmick gun/plunger bronze NSD with that sculpt?

EDIT: Never mind, just remembered the S5 progenitor guardian Dalek.
There was also that SFX one.

Emperor Omega

Post by Emperor Omega » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:30 pm

If we're talking about Daleks, then how about the Damaged Dalek Thay from the Series 3 2-parter?

That was a bit of a waste, wasn't it?

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:32 pm

Emperor Omega wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:30 pm
If we're talking about Daleks, then how about the Damaged Dalek Thay from the Series 3 2-parter?

I have this Dalek, the scrap metal panel effect is actually really nice, it's one of my favourte Daleks that I own.

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:32 pm
Emperor Omega wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:30 pm

I have this Dalek, the scrap metal panel effect is actually really nice, it's one of my favourte Daleks that I own.
Yeah it's a nice variant that can also blend in with your other Daleks when you view it face on.

Back then when we got so many different figures and variants it was a really nice addition but I wouldn't want them to do something like that now when we're limited to new tooling.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:52 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:48 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Interesting because it's a digital scan of his head.
A lot of the digital scans still manage to come out bad. Capaldi springs to mind.

TW.
That first Capaldi is bad because of the thick paint and them getting the eyebrows wrong.
Thick paint doesn’t affect it that much. It’s still a problem with the sculpt.

TW.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:52 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:48 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 pm

A lot of the digital scans still manage to come out bad. Capaldi springs to mind.

TW.
That first Capaldi is bad because of the thick paint and them getting the eyebrows wrong.
Thick paint doesn’t affect it that much. It’s still a problem with the sculpt.

TW.
IIRC, didn't someone --Tomfan? -- strip the paint off and discover the face underneath was actually pretty accurate?

Also, how can it be a bad "sculpt" when it wasn't actually sculpted? It was scanned and they made the model from the scan. Nobody sat down and built that face from scratch.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:33 pm

They still tweak it and essentially make it. But that’s what I’m saying, digital scan is not a guarantee of accuracy

Just look at big chief, all the modern people are scanned, but pretty much none of them look like their actors

TW.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 am

Exactly the problem some other toys have, like say Diamond Select's Ghostbusters figures, the paint's caked on and they just look, hideous with one or two exceptions, no finesse. The thing I couldn't understand is they nailed Capaldi perfectly in the time of the doctor set, then they screw it up? Some company's do get the head scans right, Art Asylum did a killer job with the old Star Trek figures, then Diamond took over and they were dire in comparison. NECA seem to be able to do it, too, so I assume it must be some factor like cheap paint, but the best way going forward "in general" is the face printing tech Hasbro have developed for Marvel and Star Wars. Rather than paint, they program a computer to digitally print someone's face onto a head as you would do for costume detail, rather than paint it, and the results are stunning.

But to actually add to the topic, I think as a kid, the worst figures were the really useless ones that you just literally had no use for except target practice, the space pig, Victor Meldrew, the Empty Child, The Editor, Grandma Connolly, the Moxx (Sorry!) Casandra, the winders, Laz my man, kid spacesuit River Song etc. I also never liked regeneration figures as a kid, as they were literally your favorite hero in a dead man's clothes, what is it, wash day tomorrow? :lol:

Now, I recognize that overall they're good figures of some good, even great characters, some err, ones that didn't really deserve a figure? But they're not bad figures, per say, they're accurate, they're made well and they represent some fantastic stories on your shelf.

Now to adult me, a bad figure is a figure that's just poor all over, it had one job and it failed, or it was just a swizz to begin with.
- Not to go down this rabbit hole.., but Celeryless 5 was a bit underhanded, I see the logic, they know your going to buy a 5 specific to a few episodes of one story, because you want a 5 and to complete K1. They also know you'll be desperate to buy a version that comes after with the celery (I won't lie, it was a factor in me buying the 11 Doctors set)
- That TRU Capaldi - they beat that thing thing to death and its even more hideous in person, I guarantee
- 2017 Disco Rose - for what she was, 2005, fantastic, now, she should've been retired, Jabe would've been a better choice, or even make a Bad Wolf variant!
- Destroyed Casandra
- Chip, he's got like five points of articulation!
- Unpossessed Toby, one was enough
- The variant to the variant to the variant of the 10th Doctor in destroyed Space suit, take your pick

After that.., I'm struggling, I think it's testament that took me half an hour to come up with, it's shown since day one that the people who make these really care. 13 Doctors 5 was a great update, except for the tongue sticking out, too.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:52 am

I love how many of the figures being listed here are ones I have. I quite like the ridiculous figures, if you keep the spacesuit helmet closed on spacesuit child river then it's a great looking thing, I remember a lot of people found the image very creepy in the promotional material for the start of S6 before we knew who was inside.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Gek2Win wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:07 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:52 am
I love how many of the figures being listed here are ones I have. I quite like the ridiculous figures, if you keep the spacesuit helmet closed on spacesuit child river then it's a great looking thing, I remember a lot of people found the image very creepy in the promotional material for the start of S6 before we knew who was inside.
On a side note, I think I've seen the head turned on child River Song. Mine is quite stiff, so I'm not sure if it moves. Any insight?
Ok, so I just got mine an d tried to turn the head, there's not enough space inside the helomet to reach my fingers in and turn it, if I try using just one finger I just push the head sideways, so I honestly can't say. maybe someone with tiny baby fingers could do it, idk.