General Questions About Figures Thread

joe38658

General Questions About Figures Thread

Post by joe38658 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 pm

I have a question and cuz I dont want to make an entire useless thread dedicated to it, Ill just make it a general questions thread :lol:

So, I have three TARDISes (Ninth/Tenth, 2010 and 2011) and I noticed today they had a darker roof and a darker backside. I took a baby wipe and started wiping at the roofs and there was some black stuff coming onto the wipe, I thought it could just be dirt and I tried wiping the backside (dont take this the wrong way) and nothing came off. Im guessing its just damage from light, having the TARDISes facing forward the entire time and light shining on them making the front brighter than the back, and the roof just had dirt on it but it looked clean, like there was no dust on it. Im curious what other peoples opinions on this are though. Theres nothing like this on the shelf or any of the other figures so, any thoughts on what this is?

UPDATE: The black stuff is only on the Nine/Ten TARDIS, im an idiot and im just scrubbing the weathering off :oops:
Last edited by joe38658 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DalekCheese

Re: General Questions About Figures Thread

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 pm

joe38658 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 pm
I have a question and cuz I dont want to make an entire useless thread dedicated to it, Ill just make it a general questions thread :lol:

So, I have three TARDISes (Ninth/Tenth, 2010 and 2011) and I noticed today they had a darker roof and a darker backside. I took a baby wipe and started wiping at the roofs and there was some black stuff coming onto the wipe, I thought it could just be dirt and I tried wiping the backside (dont take this the wrong way) and nothing came off. Im guessing its just damage from light, having the TARDISes facing forward the entire time and light shining on them making the front brighter than the back, and the roof just had dirt on it but it looked clean, like there was no dust on it. Im curious what other peoples opinions on this are though. Theres nothing like this on the shelf or any of the other figures so, any thoughts on what this is?
Odd
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm

I can only think it must be something sun related, at first I thought it might be the weathering coming off but the Matt Smith boxes were all just one solid colour so it couldn't be that.

joe38658

Post by joe38658 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Doctor What wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm
I can only think it must be something sun related, at first I thought it might be the weathering coming off but the Matt Smith boxes were all just one solid colour so it couldn't be that.
I forgot to mention the black stuff is only on the Nine/Ten TARDIS and scrubbing at the other sides, black stuff has started coming off so I think I am just rubbing the weathering off :oops: So I guess the darker backside is sun related

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:13 pm

joe38658 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 pm
Doctor What wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm
I forgot to mention the black stuff is only on the Nine/Ten TARDIS and scrubbing at the other sides, black stuff has started coming off so I think I am just rubbing the weathering off :oops: So I guess the darker backside is sun related
Dan, this boi may be challenging you for resident silliboi-ship.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:15 am

This might interest you, my 2006 TARDIS moneybank has gone all sorts of blue shades, about the only surfaces that are the rigth blue are the bottom and one of the sides. I've put it down to two things, exposure to sunlight and natural discolouration due to age. Although for many years it was in a cupboard not seeing the sun, so any sun related issues must have happened years ago and taken a long time to show an effect.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:18 am

I'll go one weirder - and I was actually wondering where to put this so awesome! Hope you don't mind me hijacking your TARDIS thread for a sec :lol:

Basically, I acquired last year from a charity shop, a flight control 9/10 TARDIS for £3, so it's definitely an RTD era one as no St Johns logo, and obviously the insert inside. However it's a completely different shade of blue than any RTD fligjht control I've seen (all my mates had one back in the day haha, others in shops, online etc), much, much more vibrant to the point I originally modified it to be a McGann TARDIS, it has no, absolute zero weathering to it and, oddly, the spinny thing on it's underside doesn't make the vworp noise. Running change maybe? Maybe the one that came with Jack, 10, and Martha at FP? I'll take some photos in a bit, but, odd

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am

Avon wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:18 am
I'll go one weirder - and I was actually wondering where to put this so awesome! Hope you don't mind me hijacking your TARDIS thread for a sec :lol:

Basically, I acquired last year from a charity shop, a flight control 9/10 TARDIS for £3, so it's definitely an RTD era one as no St Johns logo, and obviously the insert inside. However it's a completely different shade of blue than any RTD fligjht control I've seen (all my mates had one back in the day haha, others in shops, online etc), much, much more vibrant to the point I originally modified it to be a McGann TARDIS, it has no, absolute zero weathering to it and, oddly, the spinny thing on it's underside doesn't make the vworp noise. Running change maybe? Maybe the one that came with Jack, 10, and Martha at FP? I'll take some photos in a bit, but, odd
Firstly a little correction, the Jack 10 and Martha Set was also a Tesco exclusive.

But anyway, it does sound like discolouration and probably just some dodgy wiring with the vworp noise. Do the rest of the electronics work? It’s probably just broken due to play on that part

TW.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Ahh, I only ever saw it in FP stores.., makes sense. The other electronics work ok, except the landing/takeoff is a bit dodgy. It definitely isn't discoloration, it's completely uniform around all sides, the top and the bottom, I'll go dust them off and take some photos in a few minutes.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:57 pm

So basically, I got this TARDIS three weeks before the first B&M TARDIS set was announced, and decided I was going to turn it into a hybrid classic TARDIS for photographic purposes, so I've changed the signs (which are now looking quite tatty, also, excuse the dust), but you get the idea.

Now these photos don't really do it justice, and my flash isn't working due to the extreme sunlight here, but if you look at especially the bases and the roofs next to each other you can see the difference. The blue one, apart from dust, is completely clean.

I have found a clue though, the blue does match up where after a few crashes the paint has been scraped off on the sign box of my original. So either, someone head to toe removed the thick black/brown wash to a professional standard with no evidence leftover (window frames are the same different blue too), or, at some point a run of RTD Tardis' were made without the wash, or I've got a unique one. Just a little mystery that I wondered if anyone else had noticed.