General Questions About Figures Thread

The Outcast

Re: General Questions About Figures Thread

Post by The Outcast »

The toy is based on the Season 18 - Season 26 Tom Yardley-Jones prop, so the prop used by the 4th Doctor to 7th Doctors. Then they made the signs boxed off and added a box under the lamp to make it inaccurate. To be honest, I'd much rather they'd kept it as is and then just changed the sign graphics to cut it off earlier for those more 60s/70s era toys. As it is, with the changes they made, the toy is only really accurate to Time Flight, the only story where the T Y-J prop has the boxed off sign ends (well, actually only the front sign was boxed, the others were still the regular wider ones) and the box under the lamp.

To be honest, the most accurate thing they could do currently is give the 5th Doctor TARDIS the thicker base, the 13th Doctor TARDIS door sign and a new lamp and it'd make a close to accurate 8th Doctor TARDIS, as from memory the prop from the TV Movie was based on the plans for the T Y-J prop with some tweaks. Then I'd permanently alter the moulds to give it the toy full length signs to make an accurate Season 19 box, then remove the box from the stacked roof and use that to make accurate Season 18, Season 23 and Season 25 TARDIS toys, so that we could atleast have accurate toys for Doctors 4-7.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I really appreciate your attention to detail.

Speaking only personally, I don't care if my toys are 100% accurate. If they were models, I would definitely feel differently.

But for me, things sold as toys only have to pass my personal "self test." If they look like what they claim to be at the distance you see them when they sit on the shelf, they pass in my eyes.

But I know others feel differently. To each their own.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:22 pm
I really appreciate your attention to detail.

Speaking only personally, I don't care if my toys are 100% accurate. If they were models, I would definitely feel differently.

But for me, things sold as toys only have to pass my personal "self test." If they look like what they claim to be at the distance you see them when they sit on the shelf, they pass in my eyes.

But I know others feel differently. To each their own.
I mean, I know it's never going to be quite accurate, there's always some inaccurate detail. Like, I believe, the lock shifts around on the prop at points, but that's a really minor detail and doesn't matter to me. Basically, as long as the colour is close enough and the dimensions and noticable details are roughly correct, then it doesn't matter. Like, I've gotten both the 5th and 7th Doctor TARDISes because whilst the signs and box under the lamp do annoy me, the dimensions of the toy are atleast accurate for that era. And I'd get a TV Movie TARDIS in a heart beat, even though it definitely wouldn't have all the correct details (I think signs extrude out from the prop more and the frosted pattern of the windows is definitely different), because the dimensions on that would also be pretty much correct.

But I just can't bring myself to get other TARDIS toys, like the 13th Doctor one, or any TARDIS representing the 1st to 4th Doctor* currently released, because I can very clearly tell they aren't right. It's a shame the original plans for the Classic toys**, and the plan for 13's TARDIS toy, fell through, because I'd have got them all if that was the case.

*I do have the Shada TARDIS, but I got that for the nice 4th Doctor variant rather than the TARDIS.

**The plan originally was to make three entirely separate TARDIS toys in those first three Doctor/TARDIS sets, meaning all three of the Original Series props would have been made as toys. Unfortunately financial stuff put pay to that plan and they had to adapt the T Y-J toy. Which is a shame, because if the original plans had happened, it basically would have meant we could have got closer to accurate TARDISes for all Doctors.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Honestly I can’t even see the difference between a lot of the props.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm
Honestly, me too.

The biggest differences for me are in the light on the top, the signage, the color of the windows, and how high the roof is stacked. I know others have a better eye for the details, but a lot of it flies over my head.

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:07 pm
SJF wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm
Honestly, me too.

The biggest differences for me are in the light on the top, the signage, the color of the windows, and how high the roof is stacked. I know others have a better eye for the details, but a lot of it flies over my head.
Clearly you already recognise more than me.

Like I know One, War, Ten and Eleven that’s about it.

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

I mean, from pictures I can tell you which TARDIS is which, but that's more because I'm a nerd. There are things about each box that makes them recognisable, and I think CO have done a good job on that with those they have released so far. The dodgy ones are 13's, which looks far too thin and tall, and 1's, as the main thing that sets that box apart is the unique roof... which the toy obviously lacks. Otherwise, the main details are all present, but the specifics are lacking. Yes, 3's boxes should have a different roof, but they're bright and flat on top. 4's boxes are darker than 3's, but in principle the same. The Shade box looks perfect, similarly to 5's, as it's darkness is quite recognisable. 7's is quite bright again, which sets it apart along with the roof, and 9/10's is practically perfect. 11/12's have all the correct details, save for the windows, which are the most recognisable part but unfortunately don't seem to have been accounted for in any 5.5" toy. Finally, 13's box has all the correct details, but like I mentioned earlier it really needs to be wider, which is a shame.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Details make for virtue and happiness. Generalities are, intellectually, necessary evils. It is not philosophers, but saw-fretters and stamp collectors that make up the backbone of society.

greeneggsandspam

Post by greeneggsandspam »

DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:03 am
Details make for virtue and happiness. Generalities are, intellectually, necessary evils. It is not philosophers, but saw-fretters and stamp collectors that make up the backbone of society.
You said it.

I don't know what you said, but you said it.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

greeneggsandspam wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:27 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:03 am
You said it.

I don't know what you said, but you said it.
Brave New World