Re: General Questions About Figures Thread

Post by greeneggsandspam »

DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm
greeneggsandspam wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:27 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:03 am
Details make for virtue and happiness. Generalities are, intellectually, necessary evils. It is not philosophers, but saw-fretters and stamp collectors that make up the backbone of society.
You said it.

I don't know what you said, but you said it.
Brave New World
Brave little toaster

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:22 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:07 pm
SJF wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm
Honestly I can’t even see the difference between a lot of the props.
Honestly, me too.

The biggest differences for me are in the light on the top, the signage, the color of the windows, and how high the roof is stacked. I know others have a better eye for the details, but a lot of it flies over my head.
Clearly you already recognise more than me.

Like I know One, War, Ten and Eleven that’s about it.
I can tell the basic whose is whose on quick glance. Like I'd never mistake the 70s TARDIS for the 2000s TARDIS or the early 60s TARDIS. It's only when I actually make a point of looking at the details that I can tell you what they are.

Even then, I'm not up on the finer points. Like I couldn't begin to tell you all of the differences in the 80s variants, beyond that McCoy's got a lighter paint job.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

greeneggsandspam wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm
greeneggsandspam wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:27 pm

You said it.

I don't know what you said, but you said it.
Brave New World
Brave little toaster
Oh Brave Little Toaster, that hath such toast in it.

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

In regards to the Destiny of the Daleks set, the 4th Doctor comes with the wrong scarf. In experimentation, I have discovered that the Shade shirtfront (and so the Destiny one) is not moulded to allow for the original scarf mould, and it simply doesn't fit. So, why does it on the Destiny release? Is it warped when it's stuck on, or is it a subtly new or altered mould?

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Gek2Win wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 pm
In regards to the Destiny of the Daleks set, the 4th Doctor comes with the wrong scarf. In experimentation, I have discovered that the Shade shirtfront (and so the Destiny one) is not moulded to allow for the original scarf mould, and it simply doesn't fit. So, why does it on the Destiny release? Is it warped when it's stuck on, or is it a subtly new or altered mould?
I have no idea why they decided to include the old scarf in the Destiny set, it just pushes his head off. It's exactly the same as the one that comes with the Season 12 4th Doctors etc, if yours is in some way a different shape it's just warped over time. I replaced mine with a spare City of Death scarf.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

Gek2Win wrote:
It definitely doesn’t fit the mould, it damages the shirt collar and pushes off the head. I think the scarf mould wasn’t ready in time or something so they had to just use what they had.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Whovastron wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 pm
Gek2Win wrote:
It definitely doesn’t fit the mould, it damages the shirt collar and pushes off the head. I think the scarf mould wasn’t ready in time or something so they had to just use what they had.
I heard it was a mix-up at the factory. Like, they told them to use one scarf mold and they used a different one by mistake.

(Well, that's what I heard, anyway.)

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

I think the real thing to discus here is the fact that that set was released...

NINE YEARS AGO

WE ARE OLD

greeneggsandspam

Post by greeneggsandspam »

The s16/17 style scarf didn't exist back then, it wasn't seen until the City of Death Set a little while later. So whether it was made for that figure but ultimately not used, or they didn't get it made on time, I couldn't say

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

In a somewhat related question, why are the city of death and season 18 scarves different moulds? It's just one of those odd things...