General Questions About Figures Thread

Deborah J

Re: General Questions About Figures Thread

Post by Deborah J » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Gek2Win wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:19 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:15 pm
3,4,5 and 8 are all designed to hold the same shaped sonic screwdriver, I guess that's going to make the pose very similar
Yes, I understand that, but what about the other hand? And why is the sculpt different? This is one of those things that my brain just doesn't understand.
If they don't need to hold things in the left hand it makes sense to have a fairly neutral pose, and some have rings and things to sculpt in, the hands of one figure won't necesarily be to scale with another.

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:46 pm
Gek2Win wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:19 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:15 pm
3,4,5 and 8 are all designed to hold the same shaped sonic screwdriver, I guess that's going to make the pose very similar
Yes, I understand that, but what about the other hand? And why is the sculpt different? This is one of those things that my brain just doesn't understand.
If they don't need to hold things in the left hand it makes sense to have a fairly neutral pose, and some have rings and things to sculpt in, the hands of one figure won't necesarily be to scale with another.
I suppose. It's just strange to me.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:25 am

My Bill from Smile has a duller finish on her hair compared to the B&M release which is more "shiny" for lack of a better word. I didn't think anything of it until I bought a second Bill from Amazon recently which had shiny hair like the B&M release.

Anyone else's like this? Is it a manufacturing error maybe?

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:47 pm

If you've noticed on the newly acquired thread, you would know that I just got the time of the doctor set. Now, I was going to use my 2018 B&M 11th doctor with the old head, but it doesn't appear to fit, which is odd considering it seems to fit on the impossible set version (which I don't own). Now, I know that the headsculpt is the series 6 one on the B&M release, so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I have noticed though that the B&M one has a larger peg than the Time set version, but I'm not sure if that's actually the issue as they are very similar. Can anyone help me with this?

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Gek2Win wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:47 pm
If you've noticed on the newly acquired thread, you would know that I just got the time of the doctor set. Now, I was going to use my 2018 B&M 11th doctor with the old head, but it doesn't appear to fit, which is odd considering it seems to fit on the impossible set version (which I don't own). Now, I know that the headsculpt is the series 6 one on the B&M release, so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I have noticed though that the B&M one has a larger peg than the Time set version, but I'm not sure if that's actually the issue as they are very similar. Can anyone help me with this?
The B&M snowmen Doctor and the Impossible set snowmen Doctor have the exact same connector, which although it is bigger than the Time of the Doctor figure, will fit the aged head. I've just managed to fit it onto the B&M one, it's a bit of a tight fit but as long as you're careful it will go on.

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Doctor What wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm
Gek2Win wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:47 pm
The B&M snowmen Doctor and the Impossible set snowmen Doctor have the exact same connector, which although it is bigger than the Time of the Doctor figure, will fit the aged head. I've just managed to fit it onto the B&M one, it's a bit of a tight fit but as long as you're careful it will go on.
It seems a bit long on mine though, there's a big gap between the bottom of the neck and the collar.

Edit: it's fine now. Odd... At least it works.

idontremembermylogin

Post by idontremembermylogin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:03 pm

I got my first proper Fourth Doctor figure with the Shada set and when I started messing with the scarf I found that it was made of a bendy material. I always imagined that they were a more stiff plastic, similar to the rest of the figure - is this the case with every Fourth Doctor? Do they all have the bendy plastic scarves?
i'm boring now

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:05 pm

idontremembermylogin wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:03 pm
I got my first proper Fourth Doctor figure with the Shada set and when I started messing with the scarf I found that it was made of a bendy material. I always imagined that they were a more stiff plastic, similar to the rest of the figure - is this the case with every Fourth Doctor? Do they all have the bendy plastic scarves?
Yes all versions of the scarf are bendy PVC.

Koth2

Post by Koth2 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Mine are all pure wool!

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 pm

idontremembermylogin wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:03 pm
Well, someone I watched on YouTube (can't remember who it was) mentioned that it was similar to the original wave 1 Tom scarf, in that it was more flexible than most. I find it's similar to most coat pieces; slightly more flexible than the hard plastic of the figures.