How would you save the 5" line?

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

How would you save the 5" line?

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:43 pm

(To be clear this isn't a dig at Al Dewar or CO nor am I encouraging anyone else to do so and I am very grateful for what we are getting!)

BUT what would you do if it were up to you to revive the 5" line back to its glory days?
I've been thinking and obviously these things are less in demand than they used to be universally but I would start by holding surveys or polls etc. to see what would sell best and then I would commission 3 lines over time once there was enough interest to make it feasible:

The B&M Range - repaints and rereleases (released in Summer):
x3 3 packs per year - a NuWho set, a Classic set and a Monsters set at £18
x1 TARDIS/Deluxe figure and standard size figure set at £20
x3 'Gift Sets' containing 2 figures and a Big Finish CD (released in time for Christmas) - perhaps with another exclusive set available from Big Finish? at £25/30?

The Main Range - the bare necessities, so to speak (potentially also for release in B&M or somewhere similar): at £12 each roughly
A wave of 2 packs featuring main characters from the current series - brought out to coincide with the series coming out featuring both new sculpts and rereleases

The Collectors' Range - the new sculpts that on many most wanted lists (Forbidden Planet/Amazon exclusives): at upwards of £15 for individual figures
A yearly wave of about 6 brand new (or almost) figures from past series of significant characters that have been missed out on with various accessories.

For example: If I were to do it this year, pretending s11 was this year I would do:
B&M Range:
The Tenth Doctor's set - The Doctor/John Smith (using Snowmen 11's body) and Martha (Black Jacket repaint) from Human Nature/The Family of Blood and Beige Scarecrow
The Seventh Doctor's set - Ace variant, Ainley Master re-release and Silver Nemesis Cyberman
Monsters Set - Nephew Ood, Slitheen with more vibrant green paint apps and Clockwork Man repaint
The First Doctor's TARDIS set - Hartnell repainted to look like TUAT costume and rereleased TARDIS
Gift Set #1 - One Mile Down with Judoon Captain and Tenth Doctor figures
Gift Set #2 - Mission to Magnus with Peri variant and Ice Warrior repaint
Gift Set #3 - Return to Telos with Leela and Tomb Cybermen figures

Main Range:
Thirteen (Kerblam) and Postman
Yaz and Thijarian
Ryan and Morax
Graham and Ribbons
Grace and T'zim Sha
Lin (with Dalek Mutant) and the Reconaissance Dalek

Collectors' Range Wave 1:
Twelfth Doctor (TUAT)
Nardole
Ice Warrior
NiS Cyberman
New Zygon
Truth Monk

Again this is just me getting carried away and there's no way this would ever be viable but in my imaginary world it would work :lol: but surely we must get some new sculpts at some point? They're going to run out of rereleases and repaints at some point right? ;)

skifflebits

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by skifflebits » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

First, I would find enough retailers who actually wanted to carry the figures.

Second, I would get them to pre-order several thousand.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:46 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

And that's the reason you're better suited for the job than me :lol: :lol:

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:46 pm
And that's the reason you're better suited for the job than me :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Details... details...

:lol:

SJF

Post by SJF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Then send them several thousand Seven20 Thirteenth Doctor figures and run with the money?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I think where CO went wrong was around s5 and s6 releasing more and more figures of charscters that noone really wanted a figure of, too many franciscos and uncles and bearded 11th doctors, combined with the price increase it was harder to justify getting the more peg warmy ones. The worst thing was, the first year of the tiny figures there were loads of characters and monsters who would have been great, new costume for the doctor, new compnion, new cyberman design, ice warrior, zygon. But for me there was no point getting them because they werent the range I collected.

If I was in charge I'd focus on big hitting things for new sculpts for a while, things that would make desirable figures. The cyberman ice warrior and zygon would be there. I'd dip into classic who for interesting looking monsters like ogrons, draconians, terilleptils, things like that, then once interest was up classic companions again as colkectors range, either paired with a monster or a lot of accessories. Or a collect and build tardis, some gimmic to drive interest.

CharlieTheWhovian

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm
I think where CO went wrong was around s5 and s6 releasing more and more figures of charscters that noone really wanted a figure of, too many franciscos and uncles and bearded 11th doctors, combined with the price increase it was harder to justify getting the more peg warmy ones. The worst thing was, the first year of the tiny figures there were loads of characters and monsters who would have been great, new costume for the doctor, new compnion, new cyberman design, ice warrior, zygon. But for me there was no point getting them because they werent the range I collected.

If I was in charge I'd focus on big hitting things for new sculpts for a while, things that would make desirable figures. The cyberman ice warrior and zygon would be there. I'd dip into classic who for interesting looking monsters like ogrons, draconians, terilleptils, things like that, then once interest was up classic companions again as colkectors range, either paired with a monster or a lot of accessories. Or a collect and build tardis, some gimmic to drive interest.
Sounds like a solid plan. And I totally agree with what you said. I had a bit of rant like it before the reset lol - for all the Uncles and endless peg warmers, we could've had Kovarian, a Headless Monk or a Minotaur and then we might still have had series by series releases. It's such a shame because series 10 especially would've had so many great releases if it were like back in the day...

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Pretending for a moment that retailers are interested, the classic exclusives model of a new figure or set every month or two was great. Do that
Let’s pretend 2019 went differently:
Jan - 13th Doctor figure
Feb - 2014 Cyberman Figure
March - 13th Doctor with scarf and Dalek
April - Yaz and Spider
May - 13 Doctor’s TARDIS
June - Ryan and P’ting
July - Graham and robot teeth guy (forgot his non-joke name)
August - 13th Doctor purple shirt variant (at the same time as B&M stuff, have a little break as that brings stuff in)
November - series 11 monsters set: Kerblam Man, teeth guy (helmet variant), Punjab alien

Something along those lines. I loved the collector series model, some new figures along with repaints and rereleases, was great. Do rereleases for £10, then the repaints and new figures for more. I hope the line comes back in force for series 12, it was a good idea to delay the companions set until the beginning of next year, they should release a new 13, the TARDIS, the companions and maybe like the Dalek all at once

(Btw Deborah is 100% right in the series 5/6 thing)

TW.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:56 am

Learn from the mistakes and sales patterns.

First, while it'd be nice if the line found a youth market....that's not what it is now. It's a Collector line. The move to Big Finish and Classics prove this. The pegwarmers have been new series themed sets the last couple years. (Although, in fairness, they've been the least daring or varied with "new" variants too.)

The B&M line is a good start this year. Respond to your strongest sales trends. (Classics, TARDIS sets) Build a new line/product with built in promotion/partners/audience (The Big Finish Line). Don't risk things that have lost money before. (If we think Series 5/6 is where the line went off with unnecessary variants and lackluster episode figures....why expect Spiders from Series 11? (Or any "villain" outside of Tzim-Sha...who makes sense due to arc/plot significance and repeat appearance, and the Dalek, for obvious reasons) The line always made Lazlo and Cassandra-sized missteps, but sales compensated. Those can't be afforded now, so if this line would grow, it's gotta be savvy, smart, and conservative with new investment.

So far, that's actually happening. Which is great.

I'm with Deb. Gonna spring for new molds? Do what can be repackaged and resold. Those 2013-onwards Cybermen. Zygons. Ice Warriors. Looking ahead, they've alluded to a good Series 12 plan. Maybe add Judoon (mold exists!), MAYBE spring for the Dalek if sales justify it.

But before risking a new mold that way, I also agree: Poll fans. Poll using BIG FINISH. There's your collector audience reached and a built-in expansion to it, with related product they can package too. With the way trends and a collector based audience are, there's less risk to a new mold Sarah Jane, Jamie, Tegan, or even say, an Audio Companion. We're inching closer to that with this announcement, and if this works it MAKES SENSE.

Here's hoping.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:39 am

Personally, I would connect to the American and Australian markets, find a way to clear Seven20 out of the picture and tap the specialty "geek" retailers for sales. Thinkgeek.com. Entertainmentearth.com. Bigbadtoystore.com. Even Amazon.

Also target local comic stores. (Does Diamond distribute to those?) I hear there are approximately 2300 comic stores in America. If you average only one case to only half of them, you're selling 1650 cases from the start.

This market *is* more collector oriented, and they seem quite able to keep genre toys afloat. Combine it with the UK market, and you have a shot at getting some toys on the shelves on a regular basis.

Then I'd stick with a "greatest hits" approach, maybe releasing new series versions of classic monsters like Zygons, Ice Warriors, and Cybermen -- along with Doctor repaints-- and focus on creating packages that fanboys and fangirls would put on their desks at works. Also target a couple of high-profile figures from the new series. (A Doctor/Yaz set would appeal to the Thasmin shippers. :) ) Maybe throw in a few Dalek variants to appeal to kids who just want something to play with. But none of the exhaustive release of every character on the series. No more scarecrows. No more Hath Pecks.

I would also plan on every new mold having at least one second life in a B&M set, as a repaint of one kind or another, to defray the costs.

And... I dunno... THAT'S IT! I'll accept my award, now. You're welcome, fandom. :)