How would you save the 5" line?

Deborah J

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Deborah J » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:51 am

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:39 am
find a way to clear Seven20 out of the picture
Try a horses head on their pillow, works every time ;)

HubertBonisseur

Post by HubertBonisseur » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

If I was in charge I'd focus on big hitting things for new sculpts for a while, things that would make desirable figures. The cyberman ice warrior and zygon would be there. I'd dip into classic who for interesting looking monsters like ogrons, draconians, terilleptils, things like that, then once interest was up classic companions again as colkectors range, either paired with a monster or a lot of accessories. Or a collect and build tardis, some gimmic to drive interest.
Except that as far as most retailers are concerned, "classic" doesn't sell... They only want the new series "because it's on the telly"... and not even that at the moment

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:51 am
skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:39 am
find a way to clear Seven20 out of the picture
Try a horses head on their pillow, works every time ;)
:lol:

To be honest though, I wouldn't mind Seven20 as much if they churned out some sculpts of characters we don't have. I mean the human figures didn't turn out too well but the monsters might fare a little better like they did with the 3.75" range...

Wholords2

Post by Wholords2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Tbh the show needs saving before they can save the figure line :lol:
Insta-@wholords2
Twitter-@wholords2

Making customs and collecting Doctor who figures for over a decade

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Wholords2 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Funniest thing I've read all day :lol: :lol:
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

If I was in charge I'd focus on big hitting things for new sculpts for a while, things that would make desirable figures. The cyberman ice warrior and zygon would be there. I'd dip into classic who for interesting looking monsters like ogrons, draconians, terilleptils, things like that, then once interest was up classic companions again as colkectors range, either paired with a monster or a lot of accessories. Or a collect and build tardis, some gimmic to drive interest.
Except that as far as most retailers are concerned, "classic" doesn't sell... They only want the new series "because it's on the telly"... and not even that at the moment
I mean, ten years ago, sure. But the B&M sales say otherwise. ;)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Wholords2 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Ouch. :lol: But....yeah. Even if you liked Series 11, it'd be a bit bold to say all's well. I really worry the BBC expects that 8-10 million audience figure constantly; which....well, at the height of its powers in the 60s, 70s, or even 00s it always had an average of 7-8 million a season/series. I'm optimistic....

But tying into my last comment, think about it: Character seems to have put 2 and 2 together and realized completely depending on the show is kinda what got them in trouble in the first place. Even at the line's hype- height, kids didn't want Grandma Connolly. As missteps ground them to a halt and they started the Collector/B&M strategy, they've grown a market that depends on fandom that will always be interested, as opposed to kids/a TV audience that may grow up or check out if the figures and stories aren't compelling.

The best part is it makes sense business-wise (They have the Doctor Who license, and as a business it's smart to use that resource to generate interest and sales), but it also depends on a fan base...so, playing to their interests and buying habits means happier repeat customers.

I mean, I'm going by evidence of the sets and how they've changed & what they've offered, how strictly they've adhered to producing what the current series is doing, as well as Al seeming to genuinely care and engage with fans, but...it looks like that's what's happening, and it's not bad for either Character or us. :)

SJF

Post by SJF » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Yeah but we’re talking big retailers here. What they want is the cool kids crap like fidget spinners and loom bands and anything that is a part of a prominent money-making brand like Star Wars, Marvel and Disney Princesses.

Obviously Classic does sell for fans of the show, and the Classic series is getting a lot more exposure towards the younger fans and that probably helps, but no one is gonna go into a shop and casually buy a New Series Doctor Who Figure more often than not, let alone a Classic Figure.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Ok. This is a pure hypothetical situation, retailers aren't really interested currently, and I'm not saying I could do any better than the team at CO, cause we can never really know all the Behind the Scenes stuff that goes on.

But, if I were to be in charge of the figure line, I'd do the following.

I'm assuming here that we're doing a "if you took over right now" thing, so firstly, I'd try to get hold of some images and info for upcoming Series from the BBC. With the secrecy and stuff, this could be tricky, but I'd try. Once I have this, I'd make one or two monsters which I think will be the best ones in the Series. I'd put these new figures in with a few Series 11 figures that I think would best sell. A repainted 13th Doctor, a Kerblam man (made using the 3 Docs Brig) and the Resolution Dalek. So:

13th Doctor (red shirt variant)
Kerblam Postman
Resolution Dalek
Mohawk Judoon Captain (possibly a two pack with a re-issued trooper)
Series 12 monster #1
Series 12 monster #2

Alongside that would be the TARDIS and Companions set.

As for B&M, I'd probably do the following

Series 2 Set
10th Doctor (standard coatless variant but with the Tux figure's arms), Clockwork Droid, Ood

Monster Set
Sea Devil, Cyberman (Tomb), Timelord (repaint)

Doctor Set #2
4th Doctor (Season 18 re-issue), 5th Doctor (Season 21 re-issue), 6th Doctor (Trial variant with Red tie, or blue tie if the former has been done)

TARDIS Set
9th Doctor (green jumper) and Bad Wolf Spray TARDIS

Dalek sets (This time with a 60s theme rather than BF themed):
Dalek Invasion of Earth Set
Invasion Dalek
Roboman (slight repaint of previous)

Mutation of Time Set
1st Doctor (new trouser pattern and wearing a Cowboy hat)
Red Dalek (based on the novelisation cover)

Power of the Daleks set
2nd Doctor
Dalek (weaponless)

BilliePiperFan

Post by BilliePiperFan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:04 pm

More doctor and companion variants and some ICONIC villains.

BIG NAME FIGURES.
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.