The Future of CO and DW toys

Gek2Win

The Future of CO and DW toys

Post by Gek2Win » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 pm

I was thinking recently about the successes of the B&M sets, and with the latest coming soon and hopefully next year Series 11/12 companions, TARDIS, and (possibly) 13th Doctor variants, what do you see happening in the future?

DalekCheese

Re: The Future of CO and DW toys

Post by DalekCheese » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 pm

Well, for quite a while, repaints and the occasional new mould. In a few years, if the TV series improves, sales of repaints/tweaks while hopefully improve. And then, if the line does well enough, then the occasional new figure provided we wait long enough.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think it's time another company took over the range. Keeping it all in the same scale, but having the money to make new companions, monsters etc. since CO just don't have the budget to do so. It's sad, but I really think it's the best thing for them to do. Hopefully Al gets involved with it should that happen.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think it's time another company took over the range. Keeping it all in the same scale, but having the money to make new companions, monsters etc. since CO just don't have the budget to do so. It's sad, but I really think it's the best thing for them to do. Hopefully Al gets involved with it should that happen.
The main issue is the retailers more than CO itself as far as I can tell.

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Doctor What wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 pm
The main issue is the retailers more than CO itself as far as I can tell.
Having done further research into it, you are absolutely right. I would’ve thought Series 11 would have gotten more figures into more stores, but I suppose not. Just imagine a huge wave consisting of the Doctor, her companions and monsters like the Stenza, Pting, Kerblam Man, Thijarians, SniperBots and Morax, along with some other characters, similar to the wave we got for Series 5.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:41 am

I don't think the license changing companies would be good, nor improve the situation the line is in. I doubt a new company would stick to the same scale as CO's figures, and any figures they make could be of a far worse quality than the current range we have (just look at Seven20's 13th Doctor figure). Also, a new company would probably remake many of the characters we have now, rather than make new ones, so we'd all be waiting a while to get something new. And, as said by others, the reason we aren't getting new figures is because of the retailers, so this new company might not even make many figures before getting rid of the license because they can't do anything with it.

As for what I think the future is... Well, I think we'll get more "new" figures in B&M sets, e.g. new characters made with pre-existing bodies but new heads. I can see a lot of potential in that approach, and I think it's possibly the only way we'll get more Classics where we're currently at. As for the mainline stuff, I'm hoping we'll start to see more figures and stuff as time goes on, with retailers deciding to actually take on Doctor Who stuff. But that's just me trying to be positive. Hopefully the range will go through atleast one decent period where we get a bunch more new figures before it ends, whenever that might be (hopefully not for a while).

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 am

I think the problem is not CO at all, nor the scale, but simply the marketplace. Heck, you can't sell even fortnight figures in B&M, not to sound like a grumpy old man but alot of kids just don't play with toys anymore, as sure as westerns got replaced by sc fi and VHS by DVD so have traditional action figures vs virtual entertainment. So you need to adapt. Forbidden Planet can't even shift Marvel Legends based on Endgame for £20, what chance does a £20 Jamie figure have? Also not to light a bonfire here but Doctor Who isn't a strong a brand either as it was during the RTD days, company's and retailers want you would assume a "safe bet" and Who just isn't it, and hasn't been for a long time, the days of getting a figure for nearly every episode are long gone, my Entertainer -still- had classic sonics and cybermats as recent as last year.

CO need to keep the licence, the people who work on them care so much and it shows, you wouldn't get that anywhere else, and to be honest, I doubt any other company would be interested (too small fry for the likes of Hasbro, Diamond Select who even during the heyday couldn't get enough interest I believe to make the planned minimates, NECA, McFarlane, Bandai, Playmates, Jaz etc etc. Anyone else below and the quality would be far less than we have now). If it was a new scale, it would be six inch and you'd have the exact same problem as the 3.5 inchers, your having to start again from ground zero.

Where does the future lie? Well, B&M, to start with for much the reasons outlined already. Forbidden Planet International, and I have zero proof of this but I sincerely believe has been struggling in my opinion, various things I've seen and heard, they won't bank roll anything remotely risky and they're part owned by Funko now so that might present problems, some stores are still stuck with Missy and that says everything. Forbidden Planet bank rolled three figures, including tux ten, hands down one of the all time most popular Doctors in an iconic look and they can't give him away, add to the fact the last dozen exclusives before rotted for five years and dropped 80% off, so I think they're staying away. Smyths, Entertainer, no chance especially for classics. Argos are testing the waters with 13. Seven12 whatever their name didn't just burn but dematted the bridge in regards to the ol US.

Where does this leave us...? Most definitely a collectors orientated line, I think, your going to see a new audience in the form of well, us :lol: hear me out, most of us on here are either in our 20s or 30s, we grew up with Eccleston, Tennant, and some are young enough for Matt, we grew up in the heyday of the DVD's or some even the videos so many love the classics, we're getting jobs, and more disposable income, and some of us for various reasons are back in the fold, for me because of the B&M line. So I think.., that's something Character should (and are, via B&M) exploiting, we are the kids the line was originally targeted at and that's a whole new audience, bursting to get some new Who figures! Bill was an interesting experiment for an online only exclusive for Amazon, I'd be interested to see how that did and could most definitely see that as another potential route, and I sincerely believe the line can keep going as it is spectacularly till there's a renaissance in the popularity of Who overall, and there will be some day, maybe the 60th, when company's can justify the risk

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:51 pm

I think there's a future to the line, and in some ways it's healthier than ever. Character definitely are the company to beat, and it looks like the long game they played with rebuilding the line/diversity is really benefitting them and us now.

Two points that I'd add to some great ones made:

*They probably could really make more of working with Big Finish. That clearly is a market ready to buy and absolutely committed to Who; It'd be crazy to not build on that given how fast they shot through the exclusives.

*The elephant in the room no one seems to bring up: That collector's market Character is reaching....seems to embrace the classics over New Who. And even popular New Who items (Tennant, NS Daleks, etc) that have rerelease appeal have been kinda done. The series really doesn't lend itself to a toy line currently (Love or hate the last series, that would've been a LOT of pegwarmers), so I really see a gradual safe rebuild of the new series necessary too: Anchor it with some obvious new (13 variants, companions), some desirable old (Fez 11, Daleks), and maybe a new older figure with minimal new investment (Waistcoat Capaldi, for example). They built the Classics back successfully, but I think the same care and caution needs to be applied to the new series, or it'll be Series 6's crash and slow burn all over again.

I think starting with 13, companions, and the TARDIS is a good start. Maybe a couple heritage desirable rereleases or maybe one new sculpt (2013-present Cyberman makes the most sense to me there). Otherwise, if doing mostly all classics and Big Finish is how we make things stronger going forward, yes please. :) I'm fine with that too.