skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:50 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am
skifflebits wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:45 pm
Well, obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-hWKv9ExtY
I love Colin, and his dedication to Doctor Who.
I just wish I had a blu-ray player so I could buy these and watch all the cool extras.
You can also play them on any Xbox One or PS4, if that's your proclivity.
I'm still on the 360 like an old man who refuses to change his ways :lol: .

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: Miscellaneous non-figure Doctor Who toys

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

So, I finally managed to lay my hands on one of the holy grails of my childhood; a 100% complete unused copy of The Game of Time and Space... widely regarded to be one of the most complicated and confusing Doctor Who games ever created, if for no other reason than the game comes with hundreds of tiny little punch-out cardboard tokens that are incredibly easy to lose once removed from the packaging.

Like a lot of tie-in products from the 70's and 80's this one is an amusing mix of stuff from the actual show (like Daleks, Cybermen, Cybermats, and Davros), and completely random nonsense.

The companion pieces are especially hilarious, where the artist probably vaguely recalled what Sarah Jane looked like during Pyramids of Mars (though she looks more like the Rani in her washer woman disguise) as well as Zoe in her panda suit from Wheel in Space, but drew a blank on Liz, called Leela "Lyla," and decided that Vicki was some sort of leggy space-stripper. :shock: :o :? Also, who the hell is Susie? Were they thinking of Susan, or is it just more randomness?

Some more mostly random items, other than K9, "Lyla", and the TARDIS. The Jelly Babies are especially terrifying, and it's amusing that the Thermal Lance gets a mention, though probably just a coincidence.

The board is fairly big and fits together like 4 puzzle pieces. Again, we've got a mix of planets actually mentioned/visited on the show (like Skaro, Telos, Marinus, and Peladon) plus plenty of new places. Interesting enough, one of the planets is called Sontar, which I don't think officially got named as the Sontaran homeworld until the new series, though it's not a huge leap to get there on your own. There's also an Ogrilla and Krynos, which were probably attempts to think up logical sounding homeworlds for the Ogrons and Krynoids as well.

The rules. In a shocking twist, you are not attempting to assemble the 6 segments to the Key to Time. Instead you are trying to assemble the 6 segments of the key of Chronos, an entirely different and legally distinct all-powerful Time Lord weapon, that is needed because "The Domain of the Time Lords is threatened by invaders." And there you go. That's as much back story as you're going to get.

The game actually plays a little bit like the recent Time of the Daleks game, where companions and items aid your dice rolls, multiple players can team up to defeat enemies, and everybody's searching various time zones and locations trying to gather enough resources to survive the next dice roll. Every planet contains a random face-down Alien, Item, and Key Part token, some of which may be blank, so you never know until you search a planet whether there's an unguarded item or key part you can just take, or an alien that must be defeated (either through dice rolls and/or the possession of specific items) which may or may not yield a useful reward upon defeat.

Each player is given a double-sided reference sheet which contains Alien Files on one side (descriptions of what each of the monsters do) and Item Files (the same thing for items) on the other. This is where the game gets really confusing, and would probably be far easier to play if it was a computer game, where it simply tells you what an enemy does and what your options are when you encounter it. Instead, you'll have to spend the majority of your time squinting at the the tiny pieces, cross referencing what each one does, and trying to remember whether to leave tokens flipped up or face down when your turn is over.

I hope that I may get a chance to play this game at our next Doctor Who day event, but I am worried that one good sneeze might destroy the entire universe before I've had a chance to conquer it. :|

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

Well this 'game' is confusing as hell. I get the impression that by the time you've started playing it's time to go home again. :lol:

Those counter are hilarious, Liz looks more like Tara King from the Avengers, though that's not a bad thing.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:22 am
decided that Vicki was some sort of leggy space-stripper. :shock: :o :?
Darn it, I knew my birthday party was missing something, I forgot to hire in a leggy space-stripper.
That's my favourite type.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

I was going through a cupboard the other day, as you do, and I came across all my Battles in Time cards. I don't know if anyone else collected these, there used to be a magazine every two weeks I think or you could buy packs of cards over the counter. I believe it ran from 2006 to 2009. Recently I discovered that I stopped buying the magazine about 2 issues short of when they actually stopped, which really bugs me as I was so close to a complete run.

Anyway here's a couple of pictures of some of my cards in the binder thingy. There were some really stupid cards like Security Guard 2, Astrid Peth (Falling), and Ood Group. These cards are my rare of better ones, all the common once are shoved in a box.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

I used to have so many of those! I think I've thrown them away because I don't remember taking them with me when I moved out a few years ago. I used to play so many card games when I was younger, but I'm glad I grew out of them because I can't image how much money I would have spend on them if I still played.
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 am
I was going through a cupboard the other day, as you do, and I came across all my Battles in Time cards. I don't know if anyone else collected these, there used to be a magazine every two weeks I think or you could buy packs of cards over the counter. I believe it ran from 2006 to 2009. Recently I discovered that I stopped buying the magazine about 2 issues short of when they actually stopped, which really bugs me as I was so close to a complete run.

Anyway here's a couple of pictures of some of my cards in the binder thingy. There were some really stupid cards like Security Guard 2, Astrid Peth (Falling), and Ood Group. These cards are my rare of better ones, all the common once are shoved in a box.

I remember getting these I had the really rare super rose card that was lenticular and had a gold back. They’re still listed on eBay for £30-£50 wish I never lost mine.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 am

My friend has a huge load of these, I think, isn't there one card for a character called "Dalek Rabe" and it's like that's not a real dalek character.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

TheSparrow wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am
I used to have so many of those! I think I've thrown them away because I don't remember taking them with me when I moved out a few years ago. I used to play so many card games when I was younger, but I'm glad I grew out of them because I can't image how much money I would have spend on them if I still played.
Yeah I don't know how many I've got exactly but my 'common' ones are all in a standard sized shoebox and they fill 3/4 of it, so at a very broad estimate I'd say 300. I'd hate to know how much I spent, I'm sure with my now money-tight mindset I would flip out. :lol:
Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:16 pm
My friend has a huge load of these, I think, isn't there one card for a character called "Dalek Rabe" and it's like that's not a real dalek character.
There is indeed a card named that, I have it. It's supposed to be one of the Cult of Skaro.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:24 pm
TheSparrow wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am
Yeah I don't know how many I've got exactly but my 'common' ones are all in a standard sized shoebox and they fill 3/4 of it, so at a very broad estimate I'd say 300. I'd hate to know how much I spent, I'm sure with my now money-tight mindset I would flip out. :lol:
Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:16 pm
There is indeed a card named that, I have it. It's supposed to be one of the Cult of Skaro.
He's the Pete Best of the Cult of Skaro, he left before they became popular.