BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:35 am

skifflebits wrote:By the way, the site is asking what units the parts were modeled in. Was it inches, centimeters or millimeters?

That's weird they'd even ask that, but all of my stuff is in mm. A quark that was 102 inches tall would be over 8 feet! :o

Will ye' look at the size of that thing Doctor!
Yes Jamie, that is a big one!

skifflebits

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:42 pm

bluehinter wrote:
skifflebits wrote:By the way, the site is asking what units the parts were modeled in. Was it inches, centimeters or millimeters?

That's weird they'd even ask that, but all of my stuff is in mm. A quark that was 102 inches tall would be over 8 feet! :o

Will ye' look at the size of that thing Doctor!
Yes Jamie, that is a big one!

Ha!

I uploaded the Quark model just out of curiosity. $43.23 plus shipping, which, given the current state of Doctor Who toys, is not a high price to pay.

By the way, the PLA plastic (that is, the cheapest) option also offers translucent green, translucent orange, and translucent yellow. Might be some potential there for, say, a Rutan?

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Initial response from 3dhubs.com:

Couple questions. Do you have the parts seperate rather than all in one build? Second, there are details on the spikey ball that will not print in FDM at all. Maybe in SLS or Polyjet, but even then I'm not sure. I only have FDM printers. Lastly, there are little clips on the top surface of the larger rectangular part, they are thinner than I can print.

Not sure what to say to them, but I did ask if they would be charged as separate print jobs if the parts were uploaded individually.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:13 am

Yeah, if you get this printed, let them know that it's okay that the tube circles on the head won't print solid. You may need to send them a picture of what it should look like printed. The little finger"clips" on the body do print on mine, but they come out mushed. They won't have the level of detail shown in the 3D model. The thin supports for the points are also designed to be cut away with a razor blade.

Also, here's a zip with the STL and Gcode files I used for printing the version pictured above: http://www.strangecult.com/sa/who_toys/Quark%20V4.zip The build is separated out into 3 parts for the body, head, and limbs. The head and limbs print much nicer if you do them at 100% fill and a slower print speed (reflected in the Gcode). The body is usually fine at about 30-60% fill, as long as you keep the orientation correct so the arm holes are on top while printing.

I recently noticed that the copyright settings I set on TinkerCAD inadvertently made the designs uneditable by anyone else. (Which is important if you want to print the Quark without the wall and drill accessories) I fixed this last night for all my designs, so you should now have the ability to go in and highlight just the pieces that you want to print, and export them separately.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:22 am

skifflebits wrote:By the way, the PLA plastic (that is, the cheapest) option also offers translucent green, translucent orange, and translucent yellow. Might be some potential there for, say, a Rutan?

There will very likely be a Rutan at some point, but it's essentially just a glowy stringy blob. If I find a really good sale on a translucent light green glow filament, or a clever way of incorperating micro LEDs, this one may bump up the list, but right now it's pretty far down because it requires filament I don't have and that wouldn't be useful for printing anything else.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:48 am

Thanks for the info. I told the print guy I would need to consult with "the model maker," and I also asked if he'd charge the job as separate pieces. He came back with this:

You can just attach them, I wouldn't charge different, even if the system did. I don't know how these are different. I still use what would be called pro-sumer printers, same thing that can be purchased at home. Also, if you can't get them seperate, I can seperate them here. If you want true professional results, you need to look at someone with a fortus or dimension machine for the FDM, and for the absolute best possible prints, find someone with an envisiontec or a polyjet machine. Those are what pro print shops use for high-detail work, both produce better parts than standard SLA or SLS prints

I honestly don't understand what half of it means, but I suppose I could do some googling and find out. :)

It sounds like I could send him your ZIP file, and also tell him not to worry about the resolution issues.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:56 am

skifflebits wrote:I honestly don't understand what half of it means, but I suppose I could do some googling and find out. :)

It sounds like I could send him your ZIP file, and also tell him not to worry about the resolution issues.

Yeah, basically, he's saying he has a home machine like mine, and the super-fine detail won't print, which we already know. I've had one person get a successful print from a 3D printing service using the files from my zip file, so you should be okay if you send him that and the picture, and let him know that home printing resolution is fine.

And now for something completely different...

012 - Keller Machine
3-D Printer template: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/8HGSQ86S32x
I had to take a break from tinkering around with connectors that aren't connecting properly, so I built a Keller Machine from Mind of Evil. I haven't printed this one yet, but I've got some transparent PETG filament that I want to test out for the cylinder part. It comes with a removable evil brain part, but I may make a version that has a hollow base for slotting in a LED lego brick. I added a bunch of tiny details to this model that I'm fairly certain won't actually print, especially the handles, but I'm curious to see how well it will turn out.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:44 pm

For anyone who downloaded the zip file with the Quark STL and Gcode files, I just made a major fix to make the model more screen accurate.
Somehow, I failed to realize that the leg slots on the bottom went all the way through.

I've fixed the zip file I shared earlier, http://www.strangecult.com/sa/who_toys/Quark%20V4.zip and of course the TinkerCAD model is immediately updates as soon as I make changes.

In other news, both the Keller Machine and Dalek Transmat are looking gorgeous. I didn't think the handles would print at all, but they not only printed, I got the dimensions to make it fit in the hands of an action figure spot on on the very first try.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 am

Today was paint day for a bunch of my models. Most of these will be going up on eBay in about a month, so I figured I'd better make them look pretty. I'm especially impressed with how good the Servo Robot looks all painted up.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 pm

That's quite a nice looking collection you have there!

The Quark order I placed with that web site finally went through. I should have it in the mail soon. :)

Oh, and now that you've made a Kellar machine, it's got me thinking about what other props one could make.

Return to “Customs”