Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

skifflebits

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Did a little pricing-out. 3Dhubs will print the Omega Casket in transparent PLA at a resolution of 100 µm for about $60. It's a bit high for a prop, so I'm trying to decide whether to take the plunge on that.

The Yeti, meanwhile, is about $45-$50 at 100 µm, so I may run with it.

Blue... How hard is it to learn TinkerCad? I'm thinking I just might want to resize the TARDIS walls I found on thingiverse to scale with the CO figures.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 am

skifflebits wrote:Blue... How hard is it to learn TinkerCad? I'm thinking I just might want to resize the TARDIS walls I found on thingiverse to scale with the CO figures.

It is the single easiest and user-friendly CAD program I've ever used. If you are importing premade .obj or .stl files from another site, you can adjust one of the dimensions (usually height) to be what you want, and it'll adjust the other dimensions to compensate. Be warned, TinkerCAD has some limitations both on file size and polygon count, so some items may not import if they're over the limit. (it will also randomly "choke" on big designs that are close to this limit). I have been using Microsoft 3D builder (which comes with Windows 10) to cut down some larger designs into chunks, or simplify complex surfaces (like the yeti fur) so that TinkerCAD can import them. This is a bit more tricky, but mainly just a case of figuring out their stupid rotate plane tools, and bad zoom controls.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Yeah, I'll need to read up on the finer points of how to use it.

I poked around in it just out of curiosity. Imported an .obj of a TARDIS wall and tried to scale it up to double size. I only found the "by hand" scaling, and I wasn't able to have the precision I would want, but I'm sure there's an "enter the value" option in there somewhere.

:)
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:18 am

I got my replacement camera battery, and have started separating out what figures I plan to sell off on eBay. I'm going to take a few days to print up extra pieces for some of the nearly complete figures (ex: I've got an Alpha Centauri with a broken arm, a War Machine that only needs a radar dish, and a couple of Keller Machines that need tops) but I may possibly start listing stuff as early as Thursday, depending on how long it takes me to print the extra spare bits.

I'll be listing one to three versions of most figures, with the exception of the Ogri, Dalek Transmat, and 12th Doctor's guitar (which came out perfect on the first try), and the Dalek Hoverbout (which I still haven't gotten a workable first printing of.) As previously noted, all figures are considered prototypes and have at least one thing "wrong" with them that I improved on a later printing, but I'll be taking plenty of pictures, so anyone who's interested will know exactly what they're getting.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 am

I'm going back and doing a complete resculpt on Alpha Centauri. It was my first figure, and I've learned a lot since then.
First order of business is to fix the head to be a bit more egg-shaped, shrink the size of the eye in comparison to the rest of the head, and add the all important veins.Tomorrow, I'll be swapping out all the T-connectors on the limbs and neck for plugs, completely reworking the hands, and possibly tweaking the texturing on the cape.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/bFpODXgFZUQ

Here's the revised Alpha Centauri. Everything should be a lot cleaner and more professional looking compared to the old design, which got pretty natty after multiple tweaks and revisions. The new arms should fit smoothly into the body (no more weird brackets left over from the original ball joints), the cape and collar textures are vastly improved, the claws actually line up with the wrists, the eye is closer in proportion to the head of the original costume, and overall, the whole thing just looks loads better. I have no idea if the veins will actually print on a regular resolution printer, but I'm printing the new head now, and they're definitely showing up on my 20 micron machine.

speckleness

Postby speckleness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Cue the mods..... :roll:

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm

speckleness wrote:Cue the mods..... :roll:

:lol:
Member since July 2013

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:04 am

SarahJaneFan wrote:
speckleness wrote:Cue the mods..... :roll:

:lol:

Roll your eyes and laugh it up all you like, but I'm adhering to the rules put in place by the admin, but then given recent events I've clearly got more respect for the rules than others.

Regrettably BlueHinter selling or advertising and/or the sale of items for sale in the customs section is prohibited, however others have advertised their items for sale in the Promos section
viewforum.php?f=12

I have removed the direct link to your eBay page however if you do wish to advertise then I would advise you make a new post in there to do so.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:41 am

CaptainJimiPie wrote:I have removed the direct link to your eBay page however if you do wish to advertise then I would advise you make a new post in there to do so.

Thanks, and sorry. I didn't realize that rule applied to the entire customs section.

Return to “Customs”