BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:55 am

In an effort to drum up more Patreon support for a dedicated website, I'm going to open the first round of voting for my next figure on May 1st.

Here's how it works... Once every other month or so, I'll pick five figures/vehicles/props/etc. that I think will be challenging, but I'm fairly confident I can pull off. Then, all patrons who have donated that month will get one vote for each $ donated to decide which one I work on next. As of right now, I have exactly one patron, which means one guy is going to get to choose the next figure all on his own, if nobody else jumps in!

Here are the five choices you'll have to vote on for May:

• Yeti Mk. II from The Web of Fear. While it seems simple now that I've finished the Mk. I, this is actually going to be a pain in the ass, because the face sculpt is completely different, as are the hands, which were the two parts that took me the longest on the Mk. I. Will come with a removable control sphere and web gun accessory.

• Kroton from The Krotons. Another build that's time consuming, but definitely possible. Will come with a spinning head and oversized acid gun accessory.

• The Wirrn from Ark in Space. This will be a very difficult build but I've got a wonderful starter model designed by Hastran (the same guy who designed the Servo Robot) that has the proportions right but lots of little spindly bits that are going to take some creative tinkering to turn into something that's printable quality. The finished version will also double as a finger puppet!

• Mandrel from Nightmare of Eden. With the fur and scale textures I used on the Taran Wood Beast, I'm pretty sure I can pull this one off. I may also make it a light-up figure with glowing green eyes, if I can figure out a way to insert a light brick into the head.

• Terileptil Android from The Visitation. I'm not even sure why I'm putting this on here, since it's a stupidly complex design with a ton of fiddly detail work. Just know that if you decide to vote for this one, you are a terrible monster who only wants to see me suffer. I *may* possibly try to give this one a removable "Death" mask and cloak, but given the stiff nature of filament, it may not be possible, even with TPU.

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

Putting down the first layer of paint on the Taran Wood Beast.
This design's pretty much done. I've got (hopefully) one more test printing that's just tweaking the arm and leg joints ever so slightly to try to get nice tight fit, but one that doesn't require you to use a rubber mallet to get it in the hole.
Got a 3D printer? Print your own 5" scale Doctor Who figures today!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/124936498250440/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/3DPrintingDoctorWho

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 am

Still working on Taran Wood Beast arm and leg joints. I'm not quite sure why they're being so obstinate. Meanwhile I've gone back and redesigned the Chumbley again from the ground up. I've got the first prototype printing on the second machine right now, so we'll see how well it works out. Luckily, it's a small figure, so prototyping is going to go a lot faster than most of my other designs.

Once I get these two figures out of the way, it's back to work on the undercarriage of the War Machine, and then on to whatever my three Patrons vote on at the beginning of May. (Right now, we've got two $5's and a $10, so basically, if any two of them can agree on a figure, that's the one I'll go with, otherwise, the $10 has it.)

In anticipation of getting at least partial funding for the dedicated website, I've gone ahead and registered the http://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/ domain name, which I'll just forward to the Patreon site until such a time as I can do something more constructive with it.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 am

The Chumbley reprint came out surprisingly well. The new nesting mechanism works almost perfectly, I just ran into some problems with the arm and pincer joints, and the shaft inside for the spring was slightly too long so that it didn't compress properly when the Chumbley was in the closed position. (Hence me holding it open in the second photo. Normally the spring should keep it at least partially open, unless you push it down into "sleep" mode.)

I'm now printing version 5.0 which should fix the above issues and will add a separate 4th section for the uppermost dome (this also means I can apply a bit more force when nesting the bottom three sections without risking snapping off an antenna) and a redesigned 45 degree angled claw that closer matches the on-screen "hero" prop seen in the Airlock episode.

The Taran Wood Beast is also damn close to completion, I'm now literally just working on the feet, finding the balance between a snug fit and smooth movement without splitting the plastic when forcing it into the socket. (I ran into the exact same issues with the Yeti, and it's always going to be the weakest point in the figure because PLA hates to bend)

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:56 am

020 - 20th Anniversary TARDIS Console
3-D Printer template: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0OB3wLWhzgt
I suppose figure #20 is a milestone, so what better way to celebrate with the 20th Anniversary TARDIS Console! This is based off of Peacock Pete's design over at Thingiverse, but upscaled for 5" scale, fitted with a spring-drive so that the central column will rise and fall when you press on it, and with internal structure designed to support the use of two CR2032 battery powered fairy lights for internal lighting (multicolored for the buttons, white or golden for the central column) which have the added benefit of having a switch on the base, making them very easy to turn on and off. I'm pretty confident the central column will work as advertised since I built one of these before that happened to be in the wrong scale. This will be my first figure designed to use the fairy lights, so I don't really know what to expect. I'm hoping that the LEDs are bright enough that I won't actually have to drill out the plastic, and they'll be able to shine directly through some of the thinner walls that are only 2mm thick. Again, I haven't done this before, so it'll be an experiment.

Rest assured, I WILL be doing the walls/doors/scanner of the console room as well at some point, but the console is the most important part to get right first, and will require significant polish before I even think about printing it. Based on a supporter's figures, I upscaled the original design in TinkerCAD 136.4% and it seems to be lining up properly with in proportion with the actors now, but the larger scale also revealed several "ugly" bits where the 3D model wasn't quite as symmetrical or screen accurate as it should be. I'll be going through and adding/cleaning up details section by section until I'm happy with it. This includes adding buttons, making the outer border trim accurately hexagonal, and so forth. I will be trying to match control layout as accurately as possible against the original screen-used prop, but for those areas that were never shown, I'll use the reconstructed Doctor Who experience version to fill in the gaps (which got some very important details wrong).
Last edited by bluehinter on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Really wishing I had a 3-D printer

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:44 am

EmeraldThorn wrote:Really wishing I had a 3-D printer

You can technically have this one printed professionally, but I suspect even with the more affordable pricing on http://www.3Dhubs.com, this would still be an expensive one, since it's nearly at the maximum width of midrange printers, and will have lots of fine detail work that really need to be printed in HD as slowly as possible for maximum resolution.

Speaking of... it took nearly a whole day, but I've finally got one panel done. :)

And this was the easiest one that I have a perfectly clear overhead shot of.

Hopefully the rest will go quicker, since a good chunk of the day was spent assembling a massive photo montage of all 6 panels from various sources. Finding good high-quality source images, particularly of the back panels that aren't typically seen by the camera) was like pulling teeth, and yes, I've been all through the Doctor Who Project website and Doctor Who Photo Research facebook group, both of which were very helpful. It doesn't help that there are also lots of lovely photos out there taken recently of the replica console on display at the Doctor Who Experience, where the colors are wrong in a lot of places and it appears they accidentally had panels 1 & 3 swapped for a while before anyone noticed the mistake.

I also took some time to fix the top and bottom edge borders, which now look lovely and neat (and screen accurate)
and built out the internal structure for the lights, which are mainly a series of 5mm tubes that should direct the microLEDs to the correct spaces, and hopefully make them easier to glue in place while allowing them to shine through the thin layer of plastic without having to drill out the holes completely, and then figure out how to fill around them.

Unfortunately, while having a premade framework to start from is useful for the initial round of structural design, it's now become quite annoying when trying to add in detail work, since the holes and other control elements aren't exactly proportionate to the actual console, so I've have to carefully fill and resculpt most of them. Also, there really should be a slightly wider gap down at the bottom of the panels, but I didn't think about that until I was most of the way through, so it is what it is. I don't even know if these stupid buttons will even print, since most are only a mm or so in size, so a lot of this detail work may be completely wasted effort. Though I've learned from the Keller Machine to never underestimate what tiny details will actually make it through when printed at higher resolution, and at the very least, they make a useful painting guide.

The Outcast

Postby The Outcast » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:44 am

bluehinter wrote: replica console on display at the Doctor Who Experience

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but from what I've heard, the one at the Experience was the genuine article, just with a bit of refurbishment.

Anyway, to go back on topic, that console does look lovely.

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Yeah this seems like something I will always be priced out of. Even the cheaper 3-D printers are slightly passed what I can manage, plus nowhere to set it up let alone leave on for extended periods. That said that first panel looks great.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm

That console is FANTASTIC. I really wish I had a 3D printer now.

A while back, your designs inspired me to try and make the console rooms that CO hadn't made, but mine are nowhere near as good as yours. I've only gotten one (mostly) done, the 1st console room, and it took me at least 3 months. Making these is certainly not easy, let alone making them as well as you do.

I used tardisbuilders.com for most of my reference pictures. They're the best source for reference pictures I've found, and they have lots of pictures of all the consoles, including all 6 panels of the original version of the console you made.

Return to “Customs”