Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am

Another day, another panel done. This one was a bit tricker, since I had to completely resculpt the monitor (you can see it's a much more accurate shape compared to the other two I haven't swapped out yet) ans the far right corner was obscured in most reference photos, complicated by several of the buttons changing layouts over just the course of a few episodes,
(For some reason, the console in Frontios has a completely different top row of black buttons for just this story, but then switches back to a more standard blue/black red/white/black layout for the Colin Baker Era onward.)

I suspect that's probably because these panels were removable and where the squibs got loaded whenever the TARDIS had to explode (which, lets be frank, happened a lot) so they didn't always get replaced with identical pieces every time.

The Outcast wrote:
bluehinter wrote: replica console on display at the Doctor Who Experience

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but from what I've heard, the one at the Experience was the genuine article, just with a bit of refurbishment.

Anyway, to go back on topic, that console does look lovely.

It looks like they made a few mistakes and cosmetic changes during the refurb, though I suppose it's possible some of these "mistakes" may be changes that were made to the version last seen in Battlefield, since those sequences were shot in the dark, so I can't really say what it looked like during it's final on-screen outing.

The most frustrating mistake (when I was trying to piece together my reference plan) was the swapping of panels 1 and 3, which is only present in some of the photos I've seen, so I'm assuming it was corrected at some point during the exhibit's lifespan. On this particular panel, the DWE version is missing an entire row of buttons on the middle left section, and a couple of others in another. They also appear to have added real electronic buttons in place of what I'm assuming were originally sawed down red and green acrylic rods or some off-the-shelf automotive part, as used throughout the Peter/Colin eras. The nerve! :o

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:16 am

Here I am, fake nerd outraged at the Doctor Who Experience for accidentally swapping the position of two of their panels, and what do I go and do... :oops:

Urg... No new panel to show off today, because I had to spend a good chunk of the afternoon fixing my stupid mistake where panel 1 should have been to the right of panel 6, but I built it to the left instead. On the plus side, fixing this goof did lead me to clean up the console as a whole, replacing all three monitors and indentations with the new more screen-accurate style, and making the top border angled, as one Facebook follower so kindly pointed out.

With any luck, that means I can spend the rest of the week working on just the buttons and internal LED supports.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:38 am

Two more panels done, two more to go. Should be able to start printing the first prototype later this weekend.

I've received a friendly friend-of-a-friend warning that the BBC might be taking an interest in me because of the Patreon page I started to raise money for a dedicated website. While I don't like it, I decided it was best if I stop the Patreon before anyone got charged, since it's not worth risking the BBC or Character Options ire for an extra $20 a month (which wasn't going to get us very far anyways). While it would have let me provide something extra, it's not like I can't keep doing what I'm doing without it.

Please note that neither the BBC nor Character Options contacted me in any way, or indicated the slightest bit of displeasure regarding my efforts. I'm doing this of my own volition because I deeply respect both parties, and want to remain on their good sides if there's even a chance that they want this project shut down.

That said, because I already registered the domain name for 5 years, we do sort of have a website now: https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/

This is a no frills version piggybacking off my current hosting service, which I use to run websites for a couple of local bands and my favorite music venue, so I have to be extra careful with storage and bandwidth, since I don't want to do anything that may negatively impact their ability to do business.

Right now, only the main page is active, but I'm going to try putting up some more content once I get the Console printing, and look into using Google Drive to host the zipped STL files. I've only got the free 15GB package, most of which is tied up storing family photos or files for the afore mentioned bands, but I've been able to clear about 3GB so far, which should be enough to get the ball rolling, at least until I can figure out other options.
I'm afraid there won't be any fancy forums or anything like that. For the most part, it'll be duplicating info I've posted over on Facebook, but in a slightly easier to navigate format, and I'll be adding detailed printing/assembly instructions (ex: "make sure this piece is printed separately from the others at 100% fill", and "you will need a rubber mallet to get this piece into the socket" etc.) that should make things easier for novice users or anyone trying to get a design printed through a local print service.

Since the Patreon thing got cancelled before it even got started, I took a poll of the the 3 people who were signed up to donate, and the votes for my next figure (after the 20th anniversary console) are in. The final score was:

Krotons - 5 / Wirrn - 15!

The parasitic space wasps win the pennant!

For Kroton fans, Don't worry. I promise they'll get their day in plastic. Probably sometime later in the year after Eaglemoss release their figurine version, so I can get a good look at the head and try to suss out whether it has 9 or 10 facets. (Alas, there are no good top-down angles in the episode, and since it spins freely, there's no way to piece the info together for sure by looking at static images)
Got a 3D printer? Print your own 5" scale Doctor Who figures today!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/124936498250440/

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:42 am

The 20th Anniversary console is now complete and printing its first prototype! We'll see what it looks like in a little over a week.

Based on a couple of comments on Facebook, I've created multiple variants of the console top depending on how people plan on putting it together:

• The grey version has 334 separate color correct buttons!
  • The pink version is one solid piece, buttons and all.
  • The yellow version is blank except for the indentations and monitor frames for people who want to print the buttons and other panel parts on plastic card and glue them in place.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun May 13, 2018 6:54 am

Ugh... This has been the week from hell in terms of computer problems (I was getting Blue Screens of Death that would lock up my computer after about 2 minutes of use), but I finally have everything fixed... after completely reloading both my BIOS and Windows 10 from scratch. I'm still reinstalling all my software, but luckily I still had a bunch of stuff backed up from the last time I had a catastrophic failure back in 2016, so I was able to recover quite a bit quicker than I thought. This shouldn't have too much of an impact on my 3D printing abilities since TinkerCAD is entirely web based, but I did lose all the fine-tuning settings I had in CURA, so I'm just going to have to hope I didn't set something wrong.
As you can see, the base came out fine. I tried using a borosilicate plate to reduce warping, which didn't do anything useful at all, but luckily the manual brims I added to the edges restricted the warping to just the extended raft area, so actual console base itself came out nice, flat, and thin.
The only "failure" this time around was the scaffolding it attempted to print for the hexagonal panels on the side, which disintegrated and pepper the rest of the design with tiny bits of molten plastic, which had to be scraped off with an xacto blade, leaving some less than perfect blemishes. (Nothing that can't be fixed with painting. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to.)

I've got the top of the console printing now, but even with an Anycubic Ultrabase (which is an even more extreme version of the borosilicate plate), it's still curling in the exact same spot. I think it has something to do with being directly over the spring. Maybe the mounting is acting as a heat sink or something. Whatever the reason, this particular front edge always comes out crappy on large scale print jobs. I'm just hoping the custom brims will prevent it from being too noticeable. (I had to bring them in closer to the design since I was getting an "out of print area" error, which means they'll be less effective than they were on the base.)

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed May 16, 2018 5:53 am

Turns out I made a stupid mistake while exporting the console top from TinkerCAD, and it was "hovering" 0.5mm in the air, instead of lying perfectly flat at the base level, which really messed with the stability of the entire print job, and meant the underside of the design was covered in gross grid lines instead of nice and smooth like the console base. The revised version seems to be printing a lot cleaner and with no significant warping, but because of all the aborted attempts over this past week, I have no idea if there's enough filament left on the roll to complete the job. Knowing my luck, it'll run out at hour 173 of the 174 hour print job. It's times like this I really wish I had a fancier machine that would let me swap out filament mid-print.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am

The console top finished printing a few hours early, and behold... on the 6th try, everything worked perfectly!!! I've got one of the LED light strings in place, though I'm clearly going to have to try putting some tinfoil or other light blocking materials in place to try to keep the lights restricted to just the areas that are supposed to light up. There's a tiny bit of join visible between the two halves, which is slightly more obvious with the light spilling through, but oh well. It is what it is, and it'll look better when the two halves are glued and I paint the join.

Next up is printing the redesigned interior of the central column. I had to completely rebuild it from scratch, but I think it will look better and more screen accurate than the original version... assuming my printer can handle the detail.
I'm worried about the 4 red tubes that need to be inserted up through the base. Even my HD machine has problems printing multiple skinny vertical towers as once. They have a tendency to self destruct when the printer head moves from one to the other. I may have to experiment with the design, and possibly make all 4 tubes separate.

If anybody intends to print this on a SD printer, I'd advice just combining the two pieces into one. (and I'll make a variant to that effect in the next couple of days)

The good news is, the hardest part of the design is over. Even if I have to reprint this part several times, it's not going to take an entire week to print.

The Outcast

Postby The Outcast » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Your 3D Printed 80's console looks better than mine. :(
That is more of a me problem though, keep up the great work.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun May 20, 2018 1:52 am

I added the 2nd batch of LEDs. So far, my technique for preventing light spillage is to block off areas that are leaking with a couple of layers of tinfoil and then squirt a bunch of clear-drying window sealant to fill up the remaining space. I haven't done the two monitors yet, but the other control panel sections are looking lovely. It's actually magnifying and directing the light, so those sections are even brighter and more distinct than they were before.
Of course, I've already spotted a few areas that could use improvement/changes on a future reprint. I really need an 2-3mm indentation on the underside of the top console to hide the wires going up to the time rotor (luckily they're thin enough it shouldn't cause too much trouble when I glue the two halves together), I forgot to remove the holes on the one section of console that has no light-up sections, but I could also add a few more and slightly change the orientation of some of the existing ones, now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing and what works.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 am

Lest anyone think I've forgotten my promise to work on the Wirrn... it's still coming along. It may look finished, but there's lots of little detail improvements and tweaking required to bring it up to printable quality. I've more or less got the mandibles how I want them now, but the legs and antennae still need to be widened and reinforced, and there are lots of very obvious polygon lines on the body that I'm going to have to try to hide with textures as best I can.
One feature you can see now... it'll have a detachable butt, so you have the option of removing it off the base and operating it like a finger puppet. (I'm hoping by making the butt solid, it may also keep the figure upright.)

Return to “Customs”