Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:13 am

Wow. Every tentacle turned out perfect. That's the wonder of resin printing. I can't wait to see it painted up green.

One of the guys on my facebook group is resin printing the TARDIS console and it looks amazing. You can see every individual button. I'm glad I've been putting in the extra detail work, because as resin printers become more common and prices go down, this is the wave of the future, and you don't have to worry about all the pesky warping, layer lines, rough overhang edges, and other garbage you get with filament printing.

Of course, because the resin is more rigid, you are going to run into issues with the joints, because they were all designed to use PLA's slight flexibility and softness to keep them in place. If I ever get my own resin printer, I may have to go back and create new SLA-specific templates for my old designs, but it's kind of a moot point until then.

I just wish the print areas on resin printers were bigger. There's this Moai printer that is still stupid expensive, but it comes with a 5" x 5" x 7" build area, which is the biggest I've seen so far. I think I could just barely fit the War Machine and a few other large scale figures on one of those without having to chop them up anymore than I've had to already. Of course, I don't have $1250 to spend on a printer right now (not counting the cost of the resin itself), and I know as soon as I do, within a year, the prices will have dropped to half that with a print area twice the size of whatever I bought.

skifflebits

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:34 pm

I'll have some Rutan pics is a day or two. I painted it up and I'm reasonably happy, just been busy with some "daily life" things.

I was thinking I would price out a resin print on the console next.

On the other hand, I still have an old-school resin model of a TVM console sitting in my garage that to this day I haven't gotten my act enough together to paint, so I kind of need to prioritize. :)
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Just a few quick and dirty pics of the Rutan, both lit and unlit.

My painting was a bit chaotic, but I think it works for the weird texture of the original.

Image Image

Image Image

On the whole, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The model is fabulous when printed in resin. The "key tentacle" for the light can be a bit fiddly to make work, but it always works in the end. It's a clever solution for turning on the light. All in all, it's Rutantastic.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 am

That really does look amazing. Just light years better than my own.

I haven't posted much in the past couple of weeks, since I'm still printing the War Machine. Unfortunately, I'm still running into major warping issues. Worse than the first time I printed this design 6 months ago, which is a bit bemusing. I've been playing around with building walls around the parts, which help a little bit, but I'm still not getting a flat surface, which is infuriating, especially as the warping only shows up several days into the build.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Yeah, I am super impressed with the resin printing. It's like comparing inkjet printing to dot matrix. I may only use resin from now on, even if it means printing way fewer projects due to the higher cost.

Sorry to hear about your War Machine. Is there any way to print it in smaller pieces?

Side note: Just mid way through typing this, ads for formlabs started popping up on youtube. My computer is definitely spying on me.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 pm

That Rutan has come out really nicely, also loving the custom Doctor and Leela!

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:24 pm

bluehinter wrote:That really does look amazing. Just light years better than my own.

I haven't posted much in the past couple of weeks, since I'm still printing the War Machine. Unfortunately, I'm still running into major warping issues. Worse than the first time I printed this design 6 months ago, which is a bit bemusing. I've been playing around with building walls around the parts, which help a little bit, but I'm still not getting a flat surface, which is infuriating, especially as the warping only shows up several days into the build.

I assume you're printing at 100% infill? Is there any reason for that? Because cutting it down to even 50% infill reduces the time drastically, and I can't think there's a reason not to, since it saves both time and filament.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:21 am

SomeCleverReference wrote:I assume you're printing at 100% infill? Is there any reason for that? Because cutting it down to even 50% infill reduces the time drastically, and I can't think there's a reason not to, since it saves both time and filament.

For the three big pieces, I'm printing at 60% infill (I may go lower on the next test printing), but each section takes almost a week to print.
All the smaller pieces like the arms, front wheel, gears, and radar dish are printed at 100% fill for maximum structural integrity.
The entire War Machine measure 7" x 4.5" x 6", so it's a massive slab of a figure. One complete printing takes about 75% of a roll.

For some reason, this printing looks significantly worse than the one I did 6 months ago, and even with the added brims, the warping is still pretty bad. I'm probably using a different filament this time around, but it was so long ago, I can't remember what brand I used before. It was probably Inland, which has since changed their formula, and their new stuff is garbage.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:13 am

skifflebits wrote:Image

That Leela is really nice, how did you make her?

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:32 pm

I have a friend who does custom figures so I commissioned him to make it. I'm not talented enough to pull that one off. :)

Return to “Customs”