Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 am

Ready for test printing:

022 - Kroton
Status: Test printing now. May need additional fine tuning.
3-D Printer template: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/judigc4PsVy
I've wanted a Kroton for a long time, but held off until I had the skills to do it justice. There aren't many points of articulation on this figure, but the head spins, the arms retract, and it can lean forward... a little bit. So pretty close to the full range of movement available on the original costumes.

skifflebits

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. Kroton printed out in the proverbial flesh.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 am

It's been several months since I did a Choose the Next Figure poll, so I've put one up on the project's facebook page. (If you want to vote, please vote there rather than voicing your opinions here in the comments, since I won't be able to count write-ins.)

For figure #23, I want to try an experiment with 3D photo-mapping in ReCap Photo to see whether "scanning" the head section of an Eaglemoss figurine will provide sufficient starting detail to create a figure that would normally be outside of my ability to sculpt solely in TinkerCAD/Meshmixer.

The three choices below have complicated heads, but relatively simple bodies, which makes them ideal test candidates. I also happen to already own the figurines. There's no guarantee this experiment will actually work, so don't feel too put out if I have to abandon it, or I decide that your choice wasn't feasible, but one of the others is.

So... Who will be next?

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:39 am

I guess I didn't post on here, but the winner of the "Choose the Next Figure" poll by a clear majority was the Voord.

ImageImage

Unfortunately, the mesh I got back from ReCap was.... not so good. Other than a vaguely identifiable outline It utterly failed to capture any of the fine details, and completely missed the curved "jester's hat" downward spikey things on the back of the visor. The results are so bad, even worse than the Dapol Silurian I tested a while back, that I think it's probably having issued identifying edges because the figure is both jet black and also rather reflective.

I'm going to try a reset using controlled lightbox conditions this weekend, in the hopes that it does something different, but if I can't get better results on the 2nd go, I may have to try one of the others designs instead.

If this turns out to be the case, I may eventually be able to do the Voord later, but it will mean picking up another figurine that I can sacrifice by painting it flat yellow or pink so the camera and ReCap software can pick out the different surface areas a bit easier. Unfortunately, Eaglemoss figures aren't cheap or easy to find in the US, so it may be a while before I get around to it.

In other news, the War Machine reprint looks great, now that I've switched filament. My only complaint as it were, is that this filament is slightly more transparent than the stuff I was using before, so there are a few thin areas where the shadows of the hollow areas inside show through. I doubt it'll be noticeable once the figure is painted, but I'm not looking forward to that, considering the sheer size of the thing.

I do have one minor modification left to make to the base, which is to add mounts for some lego wheels to the back. The RC motors slot in fine, but when you get the entire top section stuck on, there's enough friction from the back end dragging on the floor that it only lurches slightly rather than driving around smoothly. I'm confident with some small wheels to take up the load, I'll be chasing the cat around in no time.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Shame about the Voord. Are there any stock action figure body models out there that you could modify without driving yourself crazy? The Voord head always seemed pretty geometric.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:35 am

skifflebits wrote:Shame about the Voord. Are there any stock action figure body models out there that you could modify without driving yourself crazy? The Voord head always seemed pretty geometric.

The body isn't a problem, it's the head. It's symetrical, but it's got some very tricky "Jester" style curves to the back part of the visor. It's just complex enough that I can't easily make one from the shapes available in TinkerCAD, but the straight smooth skinny curved pieces make it nearly impossible to sculpt out of clay with any sort of accuracy.

Like I said. I'm going to try rescanning in light box conditions over the weekend, and see if that works. Plan B is to find a sacrificial figure that I can repaint. If it wasn't small, black, and reflective, I'm sure ReCap would have an easier time with it.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:57 pm

bluehinter wrote:
skifflebits wrote:Like I said. I'm going to try rescanning in light box conditions over the weekend, and see if that works. Plan B is to find a sacrificial figure that I can repaint. If it wasn't small, black, and reflective, I'm sure ReCap would have an easier time with it.

I wonder if you dust your figure down with talcum powder before scanning if it would help.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:49 am

skifflebits wrote:
bluehinter wrote:
skifflebits wrote:Like I said. I'm going to try rescanning in light box conditions over the weekend, and see if that works. Plan B is to find a sacrificial figure that I can repaint. If it wasn't small, black, and reflective, I'm sure ReCap would have an easier time with it.

I wonder if you dust your figure down with talcum powder before scanning if it would help.

That's actually a pretty good idea.
I don't have any talc, but I do have some sidewalk chalk that could be used to dust it down, and that stuff should wash off pretty easily.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:13 am

I took the sidewalk chalk and ground it up as fine as I could, then placed it in a baggie along with the figure, and used an air duster to give everything a light dust coating. The results are probably not quite as good as I'd get if I painted the figure yellow, but a notable improvement over the original attempt, which you can see in pink below.

It's still quite a mess, and is going to take a considerable effort to clean up into something usable, but it's close enough that I think I can work with it. Maybe somebody with a $5000 scanning rig can scan an Eaglemoss figure and come up with something perfect and printable right out of the gate, but not me, at least not with the level of technology currently at my disposal.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:34 pm

That is a big improvement.

Just how sophisticated are the clean-up tools in the #-Dsoftware you use? It seems like the basic shape is there. If this were a 2-D scan in Adobe Illustrator, you could probably smooth it pretty easily, but I have no idea what your software is like.

I know there's a business near me that does 3-D scanning, but I don't know what they charge. I've been half-considering having them scan an old 3.75" "Nightmare" Cyberman just to have the model.

Return to “Customs”