Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

skifflebits

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:56 pm

bluehinter wrote:
skifflebits wrote:Amazing. It just keeps getting more elaborate. I'm now officially intimidated to try to make one. :)

Just wait... This guy who recently joined my Facebook group builds and sells custom Lego light kits, including ones for the Lego TARDIS sets.

He's apparently working on a new batch of small light/sound modules, and thinks he can build one with RF controls and a small piston motor!
I've basically told him, if he can build it, I'll find some way to work it into my designs. I'm sure the kit will cost you a small packet, but for really hardcore fans, it may soon be possible to not only have a fancy light-up console, but one that moves on command and plays the dematerialization sound effect too!!!!

OK, I've circled past intimidation back to excitement again. :) Will you post his contact info when your model is done?

I'm guessing this model would cost about $300 to resin print?
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:59 pm

skifflebits wrote:OK, I've circled past intimidation back to excitement again. :) Will you post his contact info when your model is done?

I'm guessing this model would cost about $300 to resin print?

I posted the link to his store in my original comment: https://www.brickstuff.com/store/p124/LEGO%C2%AE_TARDIS_Console_Lighting_Kit_%2F_Pulsating_Reactor_Core_Kit.html, but I'll certainly direct link to the appropriate store item if he builds it.

As for resin printing, I have no idea. The 20th Anniversary console (just the console itself) will probably run you at least $200 to print commercially, but that's assuming you can find someone with a resin printer big enough to do the job in the first place.

The 8th Doctor console room.... sheesh, I don't even want to think about how much that would cost to resin print the entire thing. Again, the only resin printers that can actually handle print jobs of that size are the really massive and expensive ones, so finding someone with the right equipment would be the hardest part (Theoretically, it could still be cut down, but that's also extra work on their part). Then you're also paying the time for monopolizing their printer for a month or more. It's probably so expensive you could just about buy a $1500 Moai resin printer and print it yourself.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Yeah, I think if I were to get this printed, I'd end up sticking to just the console.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:25 pm

I finished updating Version 5 of the 20th Anniversary Console. All files are now conveniently downloadable from Google Drive:

020 - 20th Anniversary TARDIS Console
TinkerCAD: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0OB3wLWhzgt
Google Drive https://drive.google.com/open?id=16gSV4SxGoi-iYr8jckHYzYURetYRuVPs

Version 5 has a vastly improved spring cavity and guide rails for the time rotor (which should allow for smoother, more accurate movement, and get rid of the "listing time rotor" problem that plagued the previous versions), better LED placement, some splitting on both halves of the console to hopefully improve print quality and reduce overhangs, and just for fun, there's now a pop-open access panel in the console base if you want to have the Doctor do some tinkering.

I added some fake circuit boards to the back of the access panel and two horizontal slot in circuit boards based on the Temporal Limiter circuits seen in Time-Flight (which was technically the previous season's console, but maybe I can reuse them later.) The boards are less than 2mm thick but I got pretty good results with the fake circuit boards I printed up for the Dalek Transmat, so I expect these will still turn out fairly well, even on a filament printer. I'll be updating the printing/assembly instructions on the website shortly.

I've also updated the Newbery TARDIS with an idea shamelessly ripped off from Some Clever Reference, to add tiny levers to the underside of the base for operating the doors.
Since we're dealing with tiny mm-sized parts, I'm pretty sure this won't be an effective mechanism unless the person is printing in SLA, so I've also included a standard solid base. Still, the option is there if anyone wants to try it. The Google Drive link have been updated to include the new parts: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xltHXvnWE8BdhjVFMWDH32_lPPuGJqNH.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:06 am

Just added an alternate Season 17 lamp to the Google Drive files as well, because why not?
The two versions should be swappable. You can also use the Season 17 lamp base if the posts on the Season 14-16 version don't print properly, and you want to add stronger brass or aluminum rods instead.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Finished the scanner screen. I really hope it works as intended.(I'm almost positive it will print fine in SLA, not 100% sure about filament)

I'm pretty chuffed about the mechanics of it. As long as the structural integrity holds up, it should move up and down and slide back and forth along the top arch (the deign uses super tiny M2x5mm or 6mm hex bolts and nuts to hold the accordion arms together.) The scanner itself is split down the back edge (so it'll have the trellis pattern on all sides and not too obvious a join), which conveniently hides a hole for mounting a LED Brick for making the scanner screen backlit. The screen comes in a couple of parts (if you have a resin printer, the glass part of the screen is curved and should produce a pretty cool lensing effect) and there's an almost invisible 1.5mm wide hole between the back of the wooden screen and the metal box that will allow you to slot 17mm wide laminated gobos in place, which will not only allow you to change the message on the scanner at will, but (in theory) if you slightly tint the scanner screen black (like a pair of sunglasses), and you print your gobos on transparency paper with transparent letters and a solid black background, they will only be visible when you switch on the back-lighting.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm

OK. Intimidated again. :)

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:57 pm

The last month has been an utter train wreck, and most of my time has been spent feeling sick as a dog with an ongoing sinus infection and bronchitis (luckily this time it didn't develop into pneumonia) while simultaneously dealing with my father's deteriorating health, which we now know is the result of Stage II Parkinson's Disease, and only going to get worse as time goes on.

In the midst of all this, I ambitiously decided to surprise the group with another "joke" figure for April Fools day, similar to the Taran Wood Beast last year. Considering how much of a disaster that turned out to be, you'd think I'd have learned my lesson, but this year, I picked an easier target that was almost entirely simple geometric shapes. But then, my health got worse, my dad needed more help, and I didn't even come close to meeting my goal.

The Celestial Toymaker's Robot is a fairly simple design, aside for the strangely misshapen arms, which I finished last night.
There are relatively few source images for this story available, and what there was told an odd tale, because the robots look entirely different at multiple points throughout the story.

This Shawcraft Models photo provides one of the clearest shots of the two robot costumes, but the version on the left contains several design elements (thicker arms, thicker ear muffs, and two red knobs on the front) that don't appear in any surviving photos or telesnaps. I can only assume it was changed at a later date to more closely match the other Robot, or may have been used in some scenes that no longer survive. The one design element that does remain constant is that one of the robots has three Yellow-Blue-Red lights painted on it's chest directly below the mouth, and the other has Red-Blue-Yellow. (not that this is especially easy to distinguish in black and white) We never see more than two on screen at any one time, so it is likely that there were only two props built, unless a third one (possibly this one on the left) was assembled for sequences where the robot was called upon to move. (I can't find any references to this in the script, but there are a couple of stills that may show the robot shuffling down the corridor.)

Assuming there were only two robot props built, the front panel must have been swappable, as throughout most of the serial the yellow and black painted dials are replaced with a CRT monitor displaying the Doctor's ongoing progress in the Trilogic game. I believe only one of these monitors was actually functional (the other was probably a false screen and not illuminated) and indeed, during the few scenes where the monitor is visibly lit up and displaying a live camera output, you can clearly see cables snaking out the back and presumably around the corner to whatever camera was recording it.

At any rate, I plan on making two alternate version of the chest, One with the regular painted dials, and another that will use the technique I developed for the 8th Doctor Console Room monitor that will hopefully allow me to replicate a backlit CRH using a LED Brick filtered through a gobo behind a transparent screen (which will require a resin printer or printing the part solid, pressing it into clay to make an inverse mold, and then pouring in UV resin.)

There's also this strange hybrid version only featured at the beginning of Episode 4, but I don't think anybody really cares to have three different alternates for this forgettable robot.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:03 am

I decided to scrap the multi-body idea for the Toymaker's Robot and just make the chest plates themselves swapable, which is going to be an easier solution. Anyone who doesn't want to use the LED feature can just use the yellow/black dial plate instead.

While it's not finished, you can sort of see the basic premise of the backlit gobo here. You've got the LED brick in the chest with a pyramid shaped hole leading from the LED to the back of the gobo (which will eventually be the same shape as the CRT screen.) The entirely black gobo (theoretically) blocks most of the light, except what's allowed through the number shaped holes. Then you've got the transparent CRT screen (this needs to be resin printed or made from an inverse mold that you pour UV resin into and cure for a few minutes with a flashlight) which sits between the gobo and the outer frame.

If it works correctly, the screen will look completely black when the LED brick is turned off, but when the LED is turned on, the numbers will illuminate on the screen... hopefully bright enough to be seen with the naked eye.

Of course, 5 of the 4 numbers would have to be zeroes, and since the gobo can't have any floating parts, they'll have to have a bit of a line down the middle that hopefully won't be visible when it's all assembled and behind the clear screen.

I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. Like I said, I plan to use the same technique to illuminate the text on the 8th Doctor TARDIS scanner, but that's going to be so small, I'm going to have to hope printing the text transparent against a black background on transparency paper is going to be enough.

While it's a cool trick, other than the TARDIS scanners, I can't really think of many figures where backlighting might be useful. Possibly the Time Space Visualizer from The Chase, and Styre's funky 70's communicator from The Sontaran Experiment, but there aren't really any other robots or vehicles that incorporate television screens into their bodies.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:06 am

So, I've been a busy boy today.

I got a new professional quality air brush (after having to send the previous one back because it was missing a hose) and started preliminary painting of some of the console room pieces.

The base color is a mix of medium grey, black, and (appropriately enough) British race car green, which I think I managed to get fairly close to. I just barely managed to give all 6 columns a once-over before running out of paint. I'll need to order some more grey before I can do anything else. I’ll be giving everything a couple of coats with slight variations (including a lighter grey “distressed” effect) before final assembly to try to make it look as professional as possible, but I’m pleased with the initial results.

I also tried out some of the enamel stain on the floor parts, which is supposed to add some natural wood variation. It looked great while it was still going on, but ended up being almost invisible when I went back a few hours later to check on it.

After I finished my painting, I sat down and assembled all the tiny little pieces that make up the arms of the pull-down TARDIS monitor. Then I made a little video to show it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Khfoptt18

It works beautifully, except for the little clip-on track part up at the top, which I didn't make long enough to incorporate enough room for the screw head. Luckily, it's a quick fix and only takes about 12 minutes to reprint.

Return to “Customs”